TV Home Forum

CBBC Channel

New logo for 2016 - out with the green (September 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jonwo posted:
You know you're getting old when children are presenting Blue Peter.

He's 20 years old so not exactly a child. Matt Baker for example was 21 when he joined Blue Peter.

Brekkie was probably about 21 around then as well
DV
DVB Cornwall
I presume his YouTube channel must generate a huge sum, considering the number of subs he has. That’s where the money for the car and envious apartment with travel has come from. He’s clearly got his head screwed on as he was Head Boy at his School in Londonderry/Derry.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jonwo posted:

He's 20 years old so not exactly a child.

Might be legally an adult but still certain things you can't do in this country until you're 21. That used to be the age of majority in this country until some point in the 1970s I think it was, before it was reduced to the current 18.
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

He's 20 years old so not exactly a child. Matt Baker for example was 21 when he joined Blue Peter.

Brekkie was probably about 21 around then as well

16 actually, so probably didn't watch much then. I've certainly got to the age though when anyone under 25 looks about 14.
TV
iloveTV1
Introduction of Adam B (from the Blue Peter YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyBKN1W-ebI

The channel icon for that BP channel looks a bit different to the one on the actual show.
Alfie Mulcahy and DeMarkay gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Jonwo posted:

He's 20 years old so not exactly a child.

Might be legally an adult but still certain things you can't do in this country until you're 21. That used to be the age of majority in this country until some point in the 1970s I think it was, before it was reduced to the current 18.

Only a few very specific things like adopting, supervising learner drivers and becoming a commercial pilot or bus driver.
SW
Steve Williams
As a YouTuber of some renown, I think in terms of the target audience, Adam must be the most famous person to become a Blue Peter presenter since, probably, Mark Curry in 1986. Diane Louise Jordan, Tim Vincent, Stuart Miles and Helen Skelton had all done other kids' shows before getting the job (and Anthea Turner had done lots, but as she says, her career was flatlining at the time and Blue Peter was very much a last throw of the dice), but Mark Curry had been a CBBC regular for many years beforehand.

Certainly I was very excited when Mark Curry joined, I'd occasionally watched Blue Peter before but I didn't start watching it regularly until he joined, I was a big Mark Curry fan. There's an interesting bit in Richard Marson's book where he says they were deliberately looking for an established, experienced presenter, as Michael Sundin had been a disaster, and after Pip Schofield turned them down, they approached Curry. As he says, that meant Curry got a particularly large amount of freedom as a Blue Peter presenter, much more than usual, as Curry was able to argue that they'd approached him, not the other way round, and they knew his established style and how he presented things.

After I pondered this on Twitter someone suggested Barney Harwood was very well known when he joined as well. In Richard Marson's other book he says Barney almost became a presenter a decade before, because he really wanted to do it and Marson really rated him, but every time there was a vacancy Barney was committed to something else. He says that on one occasion when Barney was doing Smile it almost happened, and Marson went to the Controller of CBBC to argue he should be allowed to leave Smile and join Blue Peter because Barney wanted to join, Marson wanted him to join and Smile was a crap show and a waste of his talents, while Blue Peter was much more important, but they refused because it wouldn't be fair on Smile. Marson says he was delighted when he finally got the job, ten years later.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
I presume his YouTube channel must generate a huge sum, considering the number of subs he has. That’s where the money for the car and envious apartment with travel has come from. He’s clearly got his head screwed on as he was Head Boy at his School in Londonderry/Derry.

Being on YouTube can make you serious cash if you have the subscribers and viewers. With a decent number of subs and views, you can easily make between £5 to £10k for a million views.

However, he's played it smart by taking the role than sticking with YouTube. Aside from proper telly experience, fame on YouTube can disappear overnight, especially when you have to abide by their rules.

A simple google search will show you how lethal a YouTube strike can be - taking out all your monetisation in one swoop because you may have crossed a hazy line. It's not like a job where you can take it to a tribunal and appeal it - you're agreeing to their terms by using the platform. If they don't like what you're doing or think you've crossed a line because someone filed a complaint out of spite, they can kick you off, delete your videos and there's sod all you can do about it.

Goodbye nice income.

On the other hand, BBC have played a smart move taking a YouTuber with a large audience. He'll probably still make behind the scenes videos and then encourage his fans to watch the proper stuff on Blue Peter.

Saying that, I'm sure it's crossed their mind to let him film and edit his own films to go out.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I wonder if a lot of future TV stars will be "found" because they built their skills on the back of a YouTube channel.

Mind you this works both ways, and people who have been on TV are now quite successful on YouTube channels - Tom Scott has already appeared on TV in one guise or another and is now quite successful on YouTube. It's quite refreshing actually to have a YouTuber in Scott (and Matt Grey as well) who doesn't actively request "join my Patreon" every five minutes, which seems to be the new revenue generator for YouTube creators these days.
BR
Brekkie
It's the obvious place to look for potential and established talent now.
JB
JasonB
It's the obvious place to look for potential and established talent now.

I wish YouTube had been around in the late 90’s. I could have been a star by now.
JK
JKDerry
Johnr posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPUu0XsIOp8

Do the BBC cover the costs of flights between Manchester and Ireland plus that apartment every week?! (Not a 'they're wasting my license fee!!!111' moan, just curious regarding the logistics of that!)

The BBC Northern Ireland presenter Stephen Nolan also works in Manchester too, he hosts on BBC Radio 5 Live at the weekends, and I am sure he flies over to Manchester each week, or maybe he now remains in Belfast and broadcasts from there due to the pandemic.

Travel costs will be included in Adam's annual salary altogether, and not as a separate payment. His apartment will be paid for by Adam, out of his annual earnings from everything he does, YouTube, BBC, merchandise etc.

Newer posts