The Newsroom

New look STV News at Six

Debuts 10th September 2018 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
UN
Universal_r
Nice to see the Edinburgh studio being used a bit more creatively for the sport and not looking stupid with the guest sitting in the corner like it has been previously.
(Not sure what it was like in Glasgow).

It was also nice to see the return of the more local weather forecast. I wonder why that actually stopped. Were they not able to show them in the Separate Regions because of the whole Scotland programme?
GM
GMc
Same in Glasgow, with Raman standing in front of the big screen.
Universal_r and Ballyboy gave kudos
UN
Universal_r
Does anyone know where the border is between east and west?
MI
TheMike
Does anyone know where the border is between east and west?

The ad sales map from ITV Media gives you a rough idea:

This reflects the editorial areas, which should be reflected in satellite postcode boundaries. Terrestrially, of course, viewers in parts of the Edinburgh area do receive STV via Black Hill instead of Craigkelly due to local terrain.
UN
Universal_r
Ah thanks, I never realised the east region was so small I think it may go a little further west because looking at it looks like I should be in the west area but I’m in the east(my map skills aren’t the best though) I assume it finishes at the end of fife?
MA
Markymark
Ah thanks, I never realised the east region was so small I think it may go a little further west because looking at it looks like I should be in the west area but I’m in the east(my map skills aren’t the best though) I assume it finishes at the end of fife?

There's no hard and fast rules here. And also the Haddington relay, (about 12 miles EAST of Edinburgh), is fed from Black Hill, so Freeview viewers in that town get STV West !

There are four different ways to define who gets what (Applies to any region, not just STV's).

1: The advertising sales map,
2: Freesat/Sky EPG mapping. i.e Which region gets mapped to EPG 103. This will be a hard and fast border right down to street/house post code level (The sales map probably closely reflects this)
3: News Editorial area. This will vary day to day, depending on how much of a slow news day it is !
4: Terrestrial (Freeview) Coverage. There won't be a map for this, but there will be pockets of viewers who receive the 'wrong' region (such as Haddington) for purely geographical and technical reasons, or simply because they chosen for whatever reason to use a non preferred transmitter .
Last edited by Markymark on 3 September 2020 7:00pm
MI
TheMike
Here's the boundary between STV East and West, at least for satellite viewers.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UMkC1XBBkSiPkuPB6 Smile

It's the ML/EH postcode area boundary and not that far from Black Hill itself. Greenrigg is STV West/Glasgow while the farm house 90 degrees to the right (assuming it has satellite) is on STV East/Edinburgh.
UN
Universal_r
There was just a coming up promo for stv news at 6 after the chase and it was kelly-Ann, was it the her in the west as well and is that new?
GM
GMc
There was just a coming up promo for stv news at 6 after the chase and it was kelly-Ann, was it the her in the west as well and is that new?

No, John in the west. There was always a short teaser after The Chase, until COVID struck.
UN
Universal_r
Ah, it’s been so long I’ve forgotten everything.
GU
Gusan
Emma Cameron is presenting the North edition tonight

33 days later

UN
Universal_r
Gordon chree presenting from Edinburgh tonight with Emma Cameron in Glasgow. When was the last time Gordon presented?

Newer posts