The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom
Just seeing Anderson Cooper anchor the 1pm hour of CNN Newsroom and it has got me thinking...

1. Brooke Baldwin's hours have been called CNN Newsroom forever but for the past 5/6 years, she does not refer to her show as CNN Newsroom on air - there have been different graphics and even different music. This also happened for Don Lemon just before he moved from weekends to weekday primetime. Why?

2. Since the pandemic started and the US daytimes CNN Newsroom editions don't have fixed anchors per se, when it is a primetime anchor the relevant stories' graphics and music are used instead of that of the generic editions and they don't start with "you're in the CNN Newsroom". When the usual anchors bar Brooke Baldwin are there or a correspondent/fill-in anchor, it's business as usual. Is it because CNN Newsroom hours are somewhat perceived by CNN to be 'beneath' the primetime anchors, as there is generally not significant editorialising?

In most of these cases, even more jarring is that "Newsroom" still appears in the bottom-right of the screen.

Simple. The only branded shows during daytime are 'New Day'. It's Newsroom through until 'The Lead'. The Situation Room onwards are all still branded. That's been the case since newsrooms were abandoned due to CV19.

Brooke Baldwin always name checks herself every half hour and not 'Newsroom'. It's always "you're with CNN, I'm Brooke Baldwin" - irritating to say the least.

Ana Cabrera promotes "you're in the CNN Newsroom". Poppy Harlow and Jim Scuitto do not.

What I find frustrating is the fact that John King has picked up an hour at the expense of Brooke Baldwin and Kate Bolduan. King's two hours are still branded as Newsroom, but it sucks another two women appear to have lost in part their slots.

Brooke is down to one hour and Kate is allotted an hour when there is one. Truly unfair.

12 days later

TZ
TimZ
World Sport is back today with Patrick Snell from Altanta, occupying its old spot of 4:45 GMT.
And according to Patrick, Don Riddell will be on for "later editions of World Sport ".
Last edited by TimZ on 31 August 2020 6:13am
LivefromORL and AJB39 gave kudos
LO
LivefromORL
Haven’t seen that World Sport logo before, wonder if it’s temporary. Shame to see the shield go.
NZ
nznewser
Haven’t seen that World Sport logo before, wonder if it’s temporary. Shame to see the shield go.

In the crazy year that is 2020, I would consider anything temporary as the new permanent!

8 days later

EX
excel99
30 minute editions of World Sport are back in the schedule from Saturday (unless I've missed them before)
Sat and Sun at 1700 and 2200UK (1200 and 1700ET)
Mon-Fri at 1330UK (0830ET)

(All regular World Sport slots in the normal schedule apart from the 2nd Sunday edition which is 30 minutes later than usual)
LO
LivefromORL
Wonderful! The edition at the bottom of the first CTW hour is back. Now we really need to see that new London studio brought to life
GI
ginnyfan
Historic moment. Amanpour broadcasting from London studio tonight!
MA
Meridian AM
Historic moment. Amanpour broadcasting from London studio tonight!

Did someone finally remember they have one there? (!) Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile, Quest was presenting from his living room in London again tonight...
I think he said he is in quarantine for a couple of weeks after travelling to film Business Traveller.
Otherwise, maybe they would have let him present his programme from a studio for a change... (!)
BF
BFGArmy
Does seem odd that CNN apparently feel it’s now ‘safe’ to use the London studio again just when UK cases are starting to rise.

The fact ‘programme broadcasts from usual studio’ is a post too is pretty telling. It makes sense to post in this case as that new studio has sat unused for half a year. I get the WFH element but you do have to wonder why CNN was so hard hit when BBC, Al Jazeera, Sky etc all seem to have beeb able to broadcast mostly from studios for several months now.
CI
cityprod
Does seem odd that CNN apparently feel it’s now ‘safe’ to use the London studio again just when UK cases are starting to rise.

The fact ‘programme broadcasts from usual studio’ is a post too is pretty telling. It makes sense to post in this case as that new studio has sat unused for half a year. I get the WFH element but you do have to wonder why CNN was so hard hit when BBC, Al Jazeera, Sky etc all seem to have beeb able to broadcast mostly from studios for several months now.

I think it's mainly to do with the fact that BBC and other studios now are mostly automated, cameras not requiring in studio operators, that sort of thing. I could be wrong on this, but I believe CNN still uses camera ops and other staff in their studios as they aren't using robotic cameras, therefore social distancing becomes an issue.
MA
Markymark

I think it's mainly to do with the fact that BBC and other studios now are mostly automated, cameras not requiring in studio operators, that sort of thing. I could be wrong on this, but I believe CNN still uses camera ops and other staff in their studios as they aren't using robotic cameras, therefore social distancing becomes an issue.

I'd be amazed if there were any camera operators (on the studio floor) at CNN Old Street !
VA
valley

I'd be amazed if there were any camera operators (on the studio floor) at CNN Old Street !

I can't remember - do they have a jib? The rest are definitely Vinten robotic pedestals and heads.

Newer posts