TV Home Forum

Freeview channels thread

CBS, horror, DMAX, Blaze, Food network, Yourtv etc : IF It's MAJOR Change start a new thread. (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KU
Kunst
That’s like saying Nickelodeon should be called Viacom Kids because the word has nothing do with children’s TV programmes. It’s just a nice name.

Yeah, moreover "pop" means a lot of different things
JF
JetixFann450
To be fair though, little Timmy likely already knows who Sony are and them making the PlayStation. They probably just don't know Sony have their name on channels.
LY
Lynetwork
I hope that Pop doesn't get rebranded as Sony Kids or something like that. The Sony channel brand is just so bland and sterile; there's nothing appealing about it.

That's not to say "Sony bad" - PlayStation, Walkman and Bravia are great brands with personality - it's just that their UK channels have as much personality as a HB pencil.
Stuart, JetixFann450 and Kunst gave kudos

12 days later

LN
LondonNewsBites
The Pop rebrand should be launching at 00:00 tonight, if it doesn't, it should launch about 1-6am.
JO
Josh
Source?
LN
LondonNewsBites
Alright, the rebrand is okay, i like the new outlined DOG on adverts (which is still transparent!) . The menus, ECP and Next indicator look, alright. Idents though, very mind blowing.
ST
steveboswell
Digital UK have confirmed that all Freeview channels between channel number 24 and 54 will shuffle up one number on 4 November to allow BBC Four to move to channel 24 in Scotland.

Link: https://www.freeview.co.uk/psb-lcn-rules

Interestingly, in TG4's submission to the consultation, they asked to be moved to the vacant channel 8 (in Northern Ireland) in their role as a native-language public service broadcaster.

COBA also asked for the shuffle to be delayed, in anticipation of BBC Three returning to broadcast television.
BR
Brekkie
Ridiculous, although interesting ITV and C4 both supportive of the move, even if it does annoyingly move 4Seven to 4Eight. I don't know whether by accident or design but I always thought "ITV+1" being on 33 was quite clever too - and clearly ITV did too considering they could have pushed it up the EPG.

It won't happen because QVC and Ideal World seem to have too much power but the shopping channels should long have been bumped out of the general section and there are certainly enough film and "music" channels now for them to have their own section too. For some reason it's fine for PSB channels CBBC and BBC News to have been bumped from 30/40 originally on Freeview ultimately down to 201/231 in four steps along the way, but QVC seem to be locked into channel 16 for life, despite the Freeview of today being a very different platform to the Freeview of 2002.

Interestingly most the member of the public submissions agreed it should get a higher LCN but not with the solution, with solutions such as new genres and using BBC Studios owned Dave's slot proposed.

Chris Young gives the most details response on genres, basically echoing what I just said.
https://www.freeview.co.uk/sites/default/files/2020-09/chris-young-response-consultation-revised-rules-LCN-allocation-public-service-channels.pdf
MA
Markymark
Ridiculous, although interesting ITV and C4 both supportive of the move, even if it does annoyingly move 4Seven to 4Eight. I don't know whether by accident or design but I always thought "ITV+1" being on 33 was quite clever too - and clearly ITV did too considering they could have pushed it up the EPG.

Well, they'll all be staying put on my tellies !
BR
Brekkie
With Film4+1 on 45, and 4Seven on 47, hopefully common sense can be achieved with Challenge on 46 so that 46 and 47 remain in place and Film4+1 goes to 48. However I doubt current Freeview rules would permit that - but maybe a shuffle like this should allow some LCN trades to be permitted.

In that case ITV could potentially keep 33 if they were willing to sacrifice 27 and move ITV2+1 to 34, arguably a more natural position immediately after ITV+1. Interesting actually there is no submission from STV considering STV+1 is affected, and arguably as much a PSB channel as BBC Four Scotland.
Last edited by Brekkie on 2 September 2020 1:59pm
PF
PFML84
So what will happen if BBC 3 returns, will it automatically get Channel 7 again?

I still think the most sensible thing with Freeview is to move all the channels starting with ITV 2 down a few slots, but keep the same order. That way the channels before 10 are the base for the locally available channels for your nation and will save confusion over what goes where. The rest of the channels can be on the same number across the UK (apart from NI / Manchester etc. that have extra channels which can slot in to shared numbers in the two areas).

06 - BBC Scotland (SCO) / Channel 4 (WAL) / TG 4 (NI) / Local TV (ENG)
07 - BBC Alba (SCO) / NVTV (NI)
08 - ITV 2
09 - BBC 3
10 - BBC 4
11 - Pick
etc.
etc.
Last edited by PFML84 on 3 September 2020 8:05am
MO
Mockah
So what will happen if BBC 3 returns, will it automatically get Channel 7 again?

I still think the most sensible thing with Freeview is to move all the channels starting with ITV 2 down a few slots, but keep the same order. That way the channels before 10 are the base for the locally available channels for your nation and will save confusion over what goes where. The rest of the channels can be on the same number across the UK (apart from NI / Manchester etc. that have extra channels which can slot in to shared numbers in the two areas).

06 - BBC Scotland (SCO) / S4C (WAL) / TG 4 (NI) / Local TV (ENG)
07 - BBC Alba (SCO) / NVTV (NI)
08 - ITV 2
09 - BBC 3
10 - BBC 4
11 - Pick
etc.
etc.

An answer to your question.
As channel 7 is a national slot (being used for Local TV in England and Northern Ireland, BBC Alba in Scotland and S4C in Wales), it is highly unlikely.

Newer posts