The Newsroom

Sky News | October 2019 Onwards

New Westminster Studio and Kay Burley Launch - 1st Sept 2020

MA
Meridian AM Meridian (South) South Today
What is the programme officially called?

Sky Q guide says Kay Burley @Breakfast.
The hashtag on screen during the programme says #KayBurley.
The trailer called it Kay Burley.
There is no 'title card' during the programme to confirm its name and the studio only has Sky News logos on the wall screens.
VA
valley
What is the programme officially called?

Sky Q guide says Kay Burley @Breakfast.
The hashtag on screen during the programme says #KayBurley.
The trailer called it Kay Burley.
There is no 'title card' during the programme to confirm its name and the studio only has Sky News logos on the wall screens.

Kay Burley.
ME
mediamonkeyuk Granada North West Today
I can’t be the only one wondering why they’ve bothered (and why they hyped it up). The old Westminster Studio was vastly superior and even chucking the new desk in there would have been better. Although, I would have done away with the orange lighting on KB@B. It looked dated and a purple or pink would have been more appropriate with the blue.

Also, why no new graphics? Not even the logo has changed. None of it makes sense anymore and I’m sorry but they shouldn’t have ever got rid of Sky News Centre at Osterley. That space was amazing and so fit for purpose. The glass box doesn’t come close and it is so inflexible with formats. Ok, we don’t need to go back to triple headed shows with people climbing stairs whilst reading headlines from 2005 but somewhere in between would be nice rather than the opposite end of the spectrum as now. I have to say, Sky News Centre never looked better than just before they left. In fact, when they decamped back there whilst the glass box was having its ‘improvements’, they should have stayed put. I mean, is no one at Sky actually watching the output these days? It looks dreadful and messy. The lighting is awful and they are just sleep walking from one disaster to the next. The apologetic tone they use to announce breaking news is beyond satire. Sky used to be ‘first for breaking news’. Now it’s like they don’t want Maureen to spill her cornflakes. Come on Sky! Get back to what you do best. Give your loyal viewers a reason to stay. At the moment, we might as well flick to BBC as the presentation is just as bland. Remind us why we picked you in the first place.
WO
Worzel Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
I can’t be the only one wondering why they’ve bothered (and why they hyped it up). The old Westminster Studio was vastly superior and even chucking the new desk in there would have been better. Although, I would have done away with the orange lighting on KB@B. It looked dated and a purple or pink would have been more appropriate with the blue.

Also, why no new graphics? Not even the logo has changed. None of it makes sense anymore and I’m sorry but they shouldn’t have ever got rid of Sky News Centre at Osterley. That space was amazing and so fit for purpose. The glass box doesn’t come close and it is so inflexible with formats. Ok, we don’t need to go back to triple headed shows with people climbing stairs whilst reading headlines from 2005 but somewhere in between would be nice rather than the opposite end of the spectrum as now. I have to say, Sky News Centre never looked better than just before they left. In fact, when they decamped back there whilst the glass box was having its ‘improvements’, they should have stayed put. I mean, is no one at Sky actually watching the output these days? It looks dreadful and messy. The lighting is awful and they are just sleep walking from one disaster to the next. The apologetic tone they use to announce breaking news is beyond satire. Sky used to be ‘first for breaking news’. Now it’s like they don’t want Maureen to spill her cornflakes. Come on Sky! Get back to what you do best. Give your loyal viewers a reason to stay. At the moment, we might as well flick to BBC as the presentation is just as bland. Remind us why we picked you in the first place.

Sadly it all started going downhill from around 2011 when a raft of strange decisions started happening. First they axed all standing presentation completely (not just in part) with everything coming from the desk, they then only started using the gallery backdrop and wouldn't rotate the desk to the newsroom view. The titles also started getting messed about with. The TOTH voiceover was dropped a few years later and we are where we are now. Sky News used to be distinctive and a nice alternative to BBC News in terms of presentation, pace and feel. It isn't the be-all-and-end-all but at the moment it just seems like they're out of ideas or their budget is so tight they can't afford to produce anything that stands out from the crowd.

Journalism and reporting should always be number one, of course. But when everything surrounding it looks so visually drab and poor, including a lack of energy - it's just a bit meh!

All in all the presentation on all UK news channels is extremely safe and belt and braces these days. I wonder how long it'll be before Sky or the BBC try something a little bolder - perhaps borrowing some ideas from TV news channels in Europe? I've always thought Franceinfo is a good half way house.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Looks alright to me 🤷‍♂️
thegeek, AJ and valley gave kudos
MA

All in all the presentation on all UK news channels is extremely safe and belt and braces these days. I wonder how long it'll be before Sky or the BBC try something a little bolder - perhaps borrowing some ideas from TV news channels in Europe? I've always thought Franceinfo is a good half way house.

They need to look at what CNN London has done. The pictures at the bottom of the page on this link show how things can look interesting and fresh.
https://tvforum.uk/thenewsroom/cnn-international-19555/page-261
CW
CraigWills Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Adam announced that Wednesdays All Out Politics will be two hours; 11am-1pm for PMQs of course.
But now that Sky News Today is only two hours on any other day, it is now reduced to one hour each Wednesday.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Ian King Live and All Out Politics being back to back from 10-12 kind of gives Sky News the same issue the BBC had with Victoria Derbyshire initially, airing specific programming at a time of day there is often a flurry of breaking news. Arguably both have a place in the schedule but back to back I'm not so sure.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I feel that Ian King Live would be better in the evening as a round-up of the day.
Jeffmister and Meridian AM gave kudos
MA
I feel that Ian King Live would be better in the evening as a round-up of the day.

Yes, at 4 or 5pm, as the UK and Europe stock markets are closing.
TR
TheTravelcard
Although I really think ultimately news quality trumps presentation, I finally get the criticism over the Sky News 'blandness'. Previously I thought that Sky News still retained some distinct stylistic features which used to make it stand out and feel somewhat interactive but these amendments have made me join the majority of comments here in dismay.

The new studio looks like a copy of the BBC Millbank/the old BBC N6, the new schedule doesn't make much sense to me Ian King Live 10-11am when that is peak time people are busy/in meetings in corporate jobs, 2 hours called The News Hour . Sky News Today is bland, just report after report, live shot of someone stood outside a token location to mention a story. Worst of all, it is very similar to BBC News - there isn't that much of a difference between the two now. Both have Breakfast programmes with inadequate studios, both have an afternoon programme on hiatus, both have the same people talking about the same things at the same time reviewing the papers.

Although the one proposed seems absurd and could make things worse, a third UK news channel might indeed be needed to bring a modern, distinct style to news presentation.
MA
Sky News Today, 15 years ago.

https://youtu.be/j1sLANkOLdA

It was somewhat OTT, but distinctive from the BBC and a good alternative.

Compare with Sky News Today today...

Newer posts