TV Home Forum

UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards

Split from UTV rebrand (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FI
finty6
Wonder when or if we will see Rose Neill return to UTV. She last appeared before lockdown in March and no word about her since! Sad
BA
Ballyboy
until the itv regional programmes are double headed again
BA
Ballyboy
Rose Neill is back presenting tonight. The 1st time since it changed to one presenter
Last edited by Ballyboy on 1 September 2020 6:30pm - 2 times in total
TI
This Is Granada
Good to see Rose back again this evening, hopefully first shoots that 'Normal service will be resumed again soon' at "the UTV".

I do hope UTV goes back to being a double header with both Rose & Paul as it works so well.

Disappointingly though, still no movement on as/when UTV on screen branding will be back, and our Julian & Gillian will be back in the booth! It's been 5 months tomorrow at 6am that Gillian told us "rest assured, Julian and I will be back as soon as possible", and I'm still hanging on to that promise.

Even if ITV have moved on from the UTV idents from the 2013 branding, I don't see why we in NI can't have pre-recorded Julian/Gillian over the ever changing ITV idents? UTV's playout is already separate from the others at the London Playout centre due to the regional variations we get in primetime.

UTV dog and locally recorded continuity with UTV still mentioned by voice on air, but with ITV branded idents and trailers as visuals. Sounds like a fair compromise to me without having to go back to 2013 look and feel idents, and saves ITV time and money not having to make 2 versions of branded promos, break bumpers etc.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Disappointingly though, still no movement on as/when UTV on screen branding will be back, and our Julian & Gillian will be back in the booth! It's been 5 months tomorrow at 6am that Gillian told us "rest assured, Julian and I will be back as soon as possible", and I'm still hanging on to that promise.

Even if ITV have moved on from the UTV idents from the 2013 branding, I don't see why we in NI can't have pre-recorded Julian/Gillian over the ever changing ITV idents? UTV's playout is already separate from the others at the London Playout centre due to the regional variations we get in primetime.

I wouln't want to speculate on somebody's personal circumstances, but it's no secret that ITV furloughed a number of staff...
BA
Ballyboy
Could be a while before Paul and Rose are reunited
PF
PFML84
I'd prefer the smaller ITV DOG over the UTV one personally speaking. If we get Julian and Gillian's voices returning but the channel stays branded as ITV and we only see the UTV name for UTV Live I'd be quite happy with that. I think reintroducing the UTV idents and graphics would be a step backwards for the channels professional look. To keep people happy (not that I've noticed anyone complaining) they could keep the channel name as UTV on EPG's until such time as they quietly change it to ITV.
BA
Ballyboy
Does itv news Ulster have a ring to it?
CO
Colm
I don't think we'll ever see Ulster used again in terms of the third channel's name in that region, given the connotations of its use.

To be frank, if ITV plc aren't interested in giving the companies which lost their discrete identities in the 2000s their old names again, they're just as unlikely to restore a regional brand which was discontinued before then.
Alfie Mulcahy and Ballyboy gave kudos
BA
Ballyboy
They should bring back utv news for shorter bulletins
JK
JKDerry
ITV News NI would probably be the title they would use if they ever chose to rename the local news. UTV still has a powerful name brand connection with viewers. When someone in Northern Ireland hears UTV they think straight away of Paul Clark, it is that powerful of brand name.
BA
Ballyboy
That’s actually not a bad idea.

Newer posts