TV Home Forum

(ITV) Merit

Launches 29th July. Split from ITV Programming Thread (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
JAS84 posted:
When did it launch? Could the pandemic have caught them out? Lockdown certainly wasn't the best time to launch a new channel, when ad revenues are down.

It launched on the 29th July 2020. But you are right, lockdown is a terrible time to launch a new channel.

Yes, terrible to launch a new TV channel at a time when everybody is stuck inside watching TV.

Probably more a case of CCXTV being a terrible channel rather than launching at a terrible time. Disney+ on the otherhand have undoubtedly benefited hugely from the lockdown and pretty much got a launch they could only dream of, but of course that is a subscription model rather than an advertising model.
JA
JAS84
And that's the issue. Advertising revenues plummeted, meaning it wasn't the time to invest in new linear channels, when the existing ones weren't making money. Remember, if CCX is like Merit, then it exists only to sell it's EPG numbers. But nobody took the bait, because right now it wouldn't be profitable. Streaming services can thrive as they rely on subscriptions and not advertising - meaning Disney+ was one of the few parts of Disney actually being successful during the lockdown. Comparing that to a linear channel is comparing apples and oranges.
BR
Brekkie
Would they have launched it without a buyer in mind though - these things are usually planned from the beginning.

I wonder to how much smaller channels would have been affected by the advertising collapse in comparison to the big channels. In theory they might be more resilient as they are less reliant on new content.
GO
gottago
To be fair Merit was an unusually quick example of a holding channel exchanging hands. I'm sure previous holding channels have lasted a lot longer so for all we know CCX is still on track to be exchanged. That Big Deal/Movie Mix channel seemed to last an eternity before it was fully transferred.

Well, assuming that's why it was set up of course. It could well just be a passion project of the head of Ideal World to provide a truly unwatchable archive channel!
IN
Interceptor
To be fair Merit was an unusually quick example of a holding channel exchanging hands. I'm sure previous holding channels have lasted a lot longer so for all we know CCX is still on track to be exchanged. That Big Deal/Movie Mix channel seemed to last an eternity before it was fully transferred.

Well, assuming that's why it was set up of course. It could well just be a passion project of the head of Ideal World to provide a truly unwatchable archive channel!

The Big Deal/MovieMix transfer could have been extended as Sit-up were willing to pay a fair whack for that 6 weeks of airtime in November/December. I believe that's all it was though, no more than a couple of months in its 'transitioning' state.

You might be thinking of the 'MovieMix' name, which did stick around for years after I think. Given the Freeview channel was effectively a simulcast of (I think) Movies24 I presumed this had more to do with playing lip service to an existing carriage arrangement, rather than allowing them to comply with an LCN transfer regulation.
MI
TheMike

The Big Deal/MovieMix transfer could have been extended as Sit-up were willing to pay a fair whack for that 6 weeks of airtime in November/December. I believe that's all it was though, no more than a couple of months in its 'transitioning' state.

You might be thinking of the 'MovieMix' name, which did stick around for years after I think. Given the Freeview channel was effectively a simulcast of (I think) Movies24 I presumed this had more to do with playing lip service to an existing carriage arrangement, rather than allowing them to comply with an LCN transfer regulation.

In the era of the Big Deal transitioning, Freeview EPG rules were more restrictive.

MovieMix was a simulcast of More>Movies but under initially different ownership to avoid losing channel 32.

Since Freeview EPG rules have loosened, transactions are faster: the collaboration between Community Channel and A+E Networks (TCC) was the first to take advantage of the rule change.
BR
Brekkie
The rule though really does not benefit the viewer at all - and adds an unnecessary retune or two into the mix as well.
ST
steveboswell
It doesn't, and to be honest I'm not really sure what purpose it serves. Regulations protecting the PSB channels could very easily be put in place, as well as other limits (perhaps reintroducing scheduled change dates). It could even raise Digital UK some funds if they were allowed to take a cut of each sale.
NL
Ne1L C
ITV Merit-The ITSWW of 2020!
EL
eladkse

The other thing to keep an eye on with CCX is the DigitalUK consultation (closed on 29th July... coincidence?) regarding PSB channels - in particular, the need to move BBC Four to the first 24 LCNs in Scotland (and potentially the re-addition of BBC Three).

The current proposals would see BBC Four be given LCN 24 in Scotland, displacing ITV4 and all channels below.

So perhaps CCX are hoping for a sale to ITV - not only to stop ITV4 being pushed down the guide in Scotland, but also to stop it being pushed down further if (when) BBC Three returns and takes LCN 23.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/sites/default/files/2020-06/consultation-revised-rules-LCN-allocation-PSBs-June-2020.pdf
Rexogamer and gottago gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
And what a farce that is, especially when That's TV undeservedly gets a prime slot despite being doing less for public service broadcasting than Babestation.
MO
Mockah
And what a farce that is, especially when That's TV undeservedly gets a prime slot despite being doing less for public service broadcasting than Babestation.

And Babestation does absolutely no public service broadcasting at all! Tut, tut.
Anglialad and JetixFann450 gave kudos

Newer posts