The Newsroom

International Weather Coverage

Split from The Weather Thread (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
An outdoor weather forecast from the "KARE 11 Backyard" from this morning. While it's common to have outside forecasts, I haven't seen a dedicated green screen for them until now.

paul_hadley, bilky asko and valley gave kudos
VA
valley
An outdoor weather forecast from the "KARE 11 Backyard" from this morning. While it's common to have outside forecasts, I haven't seen a dedicated green screen for them until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZX-AWoM4CE

Quite cool, actually, and it's resulted in one nicely lit green screen! Interesting waterproof camera and monitor setup, too. The sync on the handheld camera isn't great though (and a tiny bit of break-up as well).
bilky asko and London Lite gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZX-AWoM4CE

If I recall it was a blue screen and was a small framed area. Looks like the camera setup changed. That looks like a cart before I think it was a permanent camera akin to beauty cameras. Unless they still have that for other shots. TEGNA sure does love their wireless DJI Ronin 2 Pro Combo DSLRs.

Edit : Looks like it’s been a green screen. Maybe I’m thinking of KUSA.

Yup it’s KUSA with a blue screen and a permanent camera.

https://www.9news.com/video/features/theme-week/behind-the-scenes-exploring-the-9news-backyard/73-8132948
Last edited by Rkolsen on 16 July 2020 2:55am - 2 times in total

43 days later

MO
Mouseboy33
The broadcast tower at KPLC -Lake Charles, LA crashed down to the ground in the aftermath of Hurricane Laura last night. The station was evacuated last night. Thankfully none of the staff was hurt.

MA
mark Founding member
I noticed that the KPLC live feed was down earlier due to technical issues - that'll be why!

I saw some of the coverage from KBMT, the ABC/NBC affiliate in Beaumont, Texas, in the same sort of area. Obviously a very small station that did very well to mount round-the-clock live coverage.

As Laura made landfall a fair bit outside of the Houston stations' broadcast areas, different Houston stations took different approaches. KHOU, the CBS affiliate, just did occasional weather updates overnight - but KPRC, the NBC affiliate, was live all night...

MO
Mouseboy33
Lake Charles LA and Beaumont TX are the same DMA. The station are small. Both cities are quite small. But are located between Houston metro and New Orleans metro.
New Orleans and Baton Rouge stations also did extensive coverage. Tegna station group provided some of their reporters from outside the market as pool reporters for the local stations in the affected area. to bump their live coverage and then to provide coverage back to their home stations. They sent an extra reporter from San Antonio.
LL
KPLC is coming out of WAFB's newsroom in Baton Rouge currently.

https://www.1011now.com/2020/08/28/lake-charles-la-tv-station-tower-toppled-in-hurricane-laura/
VA
valley

Those are pretty dramatic pictures - could've been deadly if they'd not evacuated before it made landfall. Looks like it'll be a while before they're back up broadcasting from the Lake Charles studio as it will require a completely new roof and tower... and that's before you even look at technical equipment, sets, etc.

MA
Markymark
It's remarkable some of the studio lighting, and some of the monitors are still powered up and working !
VA
valley
It's remarkable some of the studio lighting, and some of the monitors are still powered up and working !

Apparently they had good generators!
MA
Markymark

Apparently they had good generators!

Ha! Electrical wiring practice and regulations are 'quite something' in the US!
LL
FR3 - Now France 3 weather from November 1991, the forecaster featured is still with the channel today. Only a short clip sadly, but enough to see the opening ident and real map behind the presenter.

Newer posts