The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I'm surprised Carrie didn't mention it on air she was leaving, although I understand if she wished not to. When she left in the NC in 2014 to become China Editor a big deal was made with a look back on her best moments, a farewell from Simon. They even brought in 4 other presenters to bid farewell, and it was uploaded on the BBC website. I guess the circumstances this time are different.

God, they really over did that, especially for someone who wasn't leaving. They should never forget the main purpose of a news programme and news channel is for the news and the presenters are somewhat secondary. Breakfast and regional TV can get away with it - but I think unless you are an absolute legend it is rather indulgent to dwell to much on a departure.
TV
TVNewsviewer
It's not going to be Lewis Vaughan Jones on the late shift again tonight or is it (because he is now doing Outside Source)?
UN
Universal_r
It's not going to be Lewis Vaughan Jones on the late shift again tonight or is it (because he is now doing Outside Source)?

Has be been on from Monday or Tuesday now?
RN
Rolling News
I'm surprised Carrie didn't mention it on air she was leaving, although I understand if she wished not to. When she left in the NC in 2014 to become China Editor a big deal was made with a look back on her best moments, a farewell from Simon. They even brought in 4 other presenters to bid farewell, and it was uploaded on the BBC website. I guess the circumstances this time are different.

God, they really over did that, especially for someone who wasn't leaving. They should never forget the main purpose of a news programme and news channel is for the news and the presenters are somewhat secondary. Breakfast and regional TV can get away with it - but I think unless you are an absolute legend it is rather indulgent to dwell to much on a departure.

They did the same with Matthew, Maxine and Chris Eakin when they left. Also Anna Ford when she retired from the One. Although I agree with Carrie it was over the top.
MA
Markymark

Maxine Mawhinney gave a personal address on her final stint !

It was like a royal abdication speech
AndrewPSSP, davidhorman and Rolling News gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan
They were all long-serving news channel presenters so they deserved it, IMO. Besides it was never as over the top or corny as it can be on US television.

That said, things have changed everywhere this year, especially at BBC so I don't expect this to happen with all those who eventually leave.
WO
Worzel

They did the same with Matthew, Maxine and Chris Eakin when they left. Also Anna Ford when she retired from the One. Although I agree with Carrie it was over the top.

And Chris Lowe.
RN
Rolling News

Has be been on from Monday or Tuesday now?

Mon-Wed this week he has been on the late shift with Karin doing OS. He was on OS tonight and Rajini is doing the late shift.
TV
TVNewsviewer

And Chris Lowe.

And Carrie when she ceased her role in news presentation before, on what was not her last day on the BBC News Channel (and not even her last day on the BBC News Channel as a news presenter):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXiLxFu1CJo
BA
bilky asko

Chris Eakin's was a couple of minutes, with the montage commented upon by Mr Eakin in a pithy manner:

BR
Brekkie
It's less awkward when there is a co-host involved. It all depends on the circumstances and news of the day really.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Cheerio, Jonathan. A frequent contributor on World News.

Newer posts