TV Home Forum

New BBC Local Radio jingles

Launched on Radio Leicester (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GH
Ghost
-'Not much happening today [apart from Olympics]' - eerily similar line to what some of the American TV news programmes were saying on the morning of 9/11.

“It’s too quiet.”

BB
BBI45
BBI45 posted:
Yes that didn't go well and you could tell that the other presenters like Robert Elms and Danny Baker despised him (as did most people at the station).

However he did redeem himself somewhat on the morning of 7/7 his show that morning was excellent (and is online somewhere). He was presumably already in the way out though as I think he announced he was leaving a few days later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAtEd9ya7LI

Just gotten around to listening to some of this - I've got to about 50 minutes in. Some thoughts

-'Not much happening today [apart from Olympics]' - eerily similar line to what some of the American TV news programmes were saying on the morning of 9/11.

-This my first time listening to Jon Gaunt ever, after reading about him online negatively for years. He's not nearly as bad here as I imagined him to be (maybe he's gotten a lot worse). 'One thing we will not do at this station is speculate'. He even comforts an obviously shaken caller.

-I'd forgotten how long away 2012 seemed in 2005 - seven years away.

-Even though this is now 15 years ago, it still sounds like something that would have been broadcast recently - after all, the BBC News music hasn't changed dramatically in that time. I get the feeling that listening to a 1990 broadcast in 2005 would have felt a lot more ancient.

I always find it quite interesting to listen back to radio coverage of these sorts of history events. I'm always intrigued by the initial reaction, and I often find myself listening to these clips. It's also interesting to hear what was broadcast then, compared to what we know now.

One of the best example of this is 9/11. I have audio recordings of that day from radio stations in New York City, Washington D.C., Charleston, South Carolina, and Minneapolis, Minnesota and it's amazing to hear how it was covered in each of those places. For example, you have people calling stations in NYC who think they've seen an horrific accident, not yet knowing what was going to happen over the following few hours.
HC
Hatton Cross
I've seen the Matt Lauer NBC throw to the break clip before.
Tee'ing up a major story, then heading to a commercial break is almost inviting the audience to go channel flipping. Although, I'm sure CBS and FOX5 New York were also in commercials at 8.49am.

The cynic would suggest, looking the pictures coming off the beauty/snoop cam on the roof of 30 Rock in the gallery, that it was the last chance for a break they could take for quite a while.
BB
BBI45
I've seen the Matt Lauer NBC throw to the break clip before.
Tee'ing up a major story, then heading to a commercial break is almost inviting the audience to go channel flipping. Although, I'm sure CBS and FOX5 New York were also in commercials at 8.49am.

Fox 5 likely would have been in an ad break at that time, but they had a correspondent on the ground, so cut their break short at 8:48:

Meanwhile on CBS, they'd just come out of commercials at 8:49, but it wasn't until 8:52 that they covered the WTC:

Meanwhile, ABC did go to a break at 8:48, but returned at 8:51:

However, on NBC, Lauer was inviting viewers to change channels at 8:51. By which point, ABC, Fox 5, and (IIRC) several other stations had already started rolling coverage:

paul_hadley and Hatton Cross gave kudos

11 days later

WH
what
I just noticed something.

Compare the jingle here:

To the jingle here:

Am I the only one who hears the similarity?
RE
Rexogamer
what posted:
I just noticed something.

Compare the jingle here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooLeR87X5GM

To the jingle here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1SDr4ybHxk

Am I the only one who hears the similarity?

They do indeed sound pretty similar, likely a coincidence but you never know
IS
Inspector Sands
It doesn't look like The Wave's jingles were also made by Reelworld. Luckily there's no BBC Local Radio in the area where it broadcasts to, although presumably it's changed its sound now its being brought into the Hits Network
WH
what
It doesn't look like The Wave's jingles were also made by Reelworld. Luckily there's no BBC Local Radio in the area where it broadcasts to, although presumably it's changed its sound now its being brought into the Hits Network

They would have been used across several of Wireless’ stations, many of which do have a BBC Local station in their TSA.
MA
Markymark

You can receive Radio Cornwall on the South Wales coast inc within The Wave's (Swansea Sound FM in old money) TSA. Cool
BB
BBI45
what posted:

They would have been used across several of Wireless’ stations, many of which do have a BBC Local station in their TSA.

The same jingle package was in use by Peak FM until a few months ago.
IT
IndigoTucker
I mentioned this back on Page 2 - it’s the same five note jingle as all of the Wireless Group stations “best music mix” identity.
WH
what
I mentioned this back on Page 2 - it’s the same five note jingle as all of the Wireless Group stations “best music mix” identity.

How did they get away with that then?

Newer posts