TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast is back!

One-off special in 2021 / Split from The Big Breakfast (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
They've announced it early then. Perhaps gives them enough time to realise they should do it full time.
FA
fanoftv
Hypothetically if they were to use the old house and fit it out with a few few hours pieces of standing art work and colour lights to make it a little more vibrant than those linked pictures, how would they get around social distancing in what appears to be a small space?
BR
Brekkie
I just can't see them using the house to be honest - or at best it might be the garden. Is the bandstand still there?

Although more T4 than BB if it is just a one off using C4 HQ itself wouldn't be the worse idea, although probably not practical at that time on a weekday.
JB
JasonB
They've announced it early then. Perhaps gives them enough time to realise they should do it full time.

Hopefully ending the morning with a song. 😉
HC
Hatton Cross

Although more T4 than BB if it is just a one off using C4 HQ itself wouldn't be the worse idea, although probably not practical at that time on a weekday.

Suppose they could stay really local and use BT Sport/Timeline Studios just up the road, and put a colourful background on the massive backdrop screens they have in the main studio.
JC
JCB
Considering this "revival" is really just 1 strand in a day of themed programming I can't see them going to the effort of kitting out the/a house when it, I'm assuming, would be cheaper to just stick a sofa and a bed in a TV studio. It doesn't sound like it was a conscious effort to bring the show back lock, stock and barrel, they're just renting the name.
BR
Brekkie
Have to wonder how willing ITV Studios would be to have an extra competitor to GMB, even if they are a different entity to ITV Breakfast Ltd. Then again no different I suppose to ITV making the likes of Line of Duty which thrash the channel in primetime.

Don't want to dwell on it too much in but "Black Takeover Day" really does come across as a white mans idea. I just find The Big Breakfast being linked to it being somewhat random - you wouldn't think that would have come out of absolutely nowhere, though then again perhaps like us on the outside even though they've now been without a breakfast show longer than they were with one it doesn't mean the idea of re-entering the market doesn't crop up regularly at C4.
TL
toby lerone 2016
To be honest I am surprised Channel 4 are going with this now, surely it would have made more sense to revive the Big Breakfast around the 2012 Paralympics and see if there was an audience for it like the Last Leg did.
HC
Hatton Cross
Have to wonder how willing ITV Studios would be to have an extra competitor to GMB, even if they are a different entity to ITV Breakfast Ltd. Then again no different I suppose to ITV making the likes of Line of Duty which thrash the channel in primetime.

But then as ITV Studios own Planet 24 and therefore the interlectual copyright to TBB, isn't this just ITV Studios offshoot making one programme to go up against another ITV Studios production company?
I suppose Channel 4 have said the magic words 'this will be a one off' and that's placated ITV somewhat.

Although thinking about it - it would be slightly easier to get ITN to bring back the Channel 4 Daily for one day, and use BAME presenters and reporters on that, as there's far journos and presenters in newsrooms and on screen than there was back in the very early 1990's when it was originally on.
FL
Flux
I’ll echo many views on here that this is a blatant backdoor pilot. It makes absolutely no sense to bring back the format/name for any other reason. It would have made more sense to launch “Black Takeover Day” with a one off, breakfast show specific to that event but I suspect (well, hope) that C4 saw potential in making it a BB revival to draw in viewers and allow it to be something which might be able to work outside a themed day.

I’m very excited about it, and can see them using the original house for this as it is a rented filming location with much better access for temporary OB trucks and the like than back in the day. If it becomes a longer run or series though, it will be from a new location as the house wouldn’t be a full time option.
RD
RDJ
I get the feeling it’ll be The BB in just name alone really.

Most people are hyped about this due to the nostalgia of watching The BB before. But they won’t be the same faces that you’d recognise as hardly any BAME faces were on.

And you couldn’t have Mo joined by Denise or Gaby as that defeats the point of why it’s being brought back.

I’m intrigued and kind of excited as to what they will do, but also of the mind that this likely won’t be The BB we all knew and loved, it will be very different.
It’ll be a show of the same name and maybe in the same house, but potentially not quite how we remember.
JO
Jon
But then as ITV Studios own Planet 24 and therefore the interlectual copyright to TBB, isn't this just ITV Studios offshoot making one programme to go up against another ITV Studios production company?
I suppose Channel 4 have said the magic words 'this will be a one off' and that's placated ITV somewhat.

Although thinking about it - it would be slightly easier to get ITN to bring back the Channel 4 Daily for one day, and use BAME presenters and reporters on that, as there's far journos and presenters in newsrooms and on screen than there was back in the very early 1990's when it was originally on.

It might be slightly easier but it would also be much easier to just do nothing. Obviously they’ve decided to do something so they might as well do it right and use the breakfast show format people remember and that will make an impact.

I also don’t understand the idea ITV Studios would be concerned with the effect on GMB if they worked on the basis anything they produce might eat into programmes ITV air, they probably wouldn’t produce anything for other broadcasters. Especially so as it seems to be a one off.
Last edited by Jon on 26 August 2020 3:14pm

Newer posts