The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
BBC News Channel is showing a BBC News Special for the Lib Dem leadership debate. Tomorrow morning at 09:30am on BBC One and the BBC News Channel. Hosted by Victoria Derbyshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000m8nt

NE
News96
Well voting on this contest does close on Wednesday funnily enough.
PE
PurpleEquinox
I get the feeling that the BBC knew exactly what they were doing when they decided to give lots of regions new sets around 2010. They knew they were moving to NBH, so why not just wait a few years and give them new sets then? It’s not like this branding is disappearing anytime soon, at the moment it has been going for almost 10 years (NBH branding), so when they next decide to change the branding fully with a new set design, it’ll probably be time for the regions to get new sets then too.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
I get the feeling that the BBC knew exactly what they were doing when they decided to give lots of regions new sets around 2010. They knew they were moving to NBH, so why not just wait a few years and give them new sets then? It’s not like this branding is disappearing anytime soon, at the moment it has been going for almost 10 years (NBH branding), so when they next decide to change the branding fully with a new set design, it’ll probably be time for the regions to get new sets then too.

Probably because budgets were agreed and, as is the case with most public sector organisations, it's incredibly difficult to get money saved / carried forward or reallocate to a different project.

So if you get money to do something, you generally do it, as you might not get the chance again.
PurpleEquinox and itsrobert gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member

Probably because budgets were agreed and, as is the case with most public sector organisations, it's incredibly difficult to get money saved / carried forward or reallocate to a different project.

So if you get money to do something, you generally do it, as you might not get the chance again.

This is so true about public sector organisations. Once financial year end is approaching there is usually a mad dash to spend up anything and everything before it gets sucked back into the organisation. If you want money for anything, the start or end of a financial year is the best time to ask. That's often why outsiders think public sector organisations are wasting money on projects but it's very often a case of use it or lose it. It's crazy, I know, but that's how it works. And as you say, if budgets are cut next year, you might not get the opportunity again.
Universal_r and PurpleEquinox gave kudos
MA
Markymark

This is so true about public sector organisations. Once financial year end is approaching there is usually a mad dash to spend up anything and everything before it gets sucked back into the organisation. If you want money for anything, the start or end of a financial year is the best time to ask. That's often why outsiders think public sector organisations are wasting money on projects but it's very often a case of use it or lose it. It's crazy, I know, but that's how it works. And as you say, if budgets are cut next year, you might not get the opportunity again.

It's not just the public sector, happens in the real world Cool too !
PE
peterrocket Founding member
That's often why outsiders think public sector organisations are wasting money on projects but it's very often a case of use it or lose it. It's crazy, I know, but that's how it works. And as you say, if budgets are cut next year, you might not get the opportunity again.

The best bit is round March, when you get to draw up the wish list to spend the last bits of budget on. As if you don’t use it, you lose it, not just from this year but also a potential lower budget next year.
WO
Worzel
That's often why outsiders think public sector organisations are wasting money on projects but it's very often a case of use it or lose it. It's crazy, I know, but that's how it works. And as you say, if budgets are cut next year, you might not get the opportunity again.

The best bit is round March, when you get to draw up the wish list to spend the last bits of budget on. As if you don’t use it, you lose it, not just from this year but also a potential lower budget next year.

Let's hope and pray Look East in Norwich have been keeping some money aside for a rainy day for a new set come the end of the financial year. Laughing
JF
JF World News

Let's hope and pray Look East in Norwich have been keeping some money aside for a rainy day for a new set come the end of the financial year. Laughing

BBC West needs a new set, they don't have barcode screens (I've been in the studio),
AS
AlexS
2 different reports from different reporters at the same school on the news at one this lunchtime...
BA
Ballyboy
Is Geeta Pendse still on EMT?
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Is Geeta Pendse still on EMT?

Not recently. I know she's freelance nowadays but I think it's several years since she last appeared on EMT (presenting or reporting)

Newer posts