The Newsroom

US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage

With added Impeachment 2.0 (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
Telemundo only covered night four of the DNC and looks like they’ll do the same for the RNC. They followed the NBCUniversal Decision 2020 branding and used sub branding as “La noche de Biden” or Biden’s Night. Listings show it will be La noche de Trump next Thursday.

Interestingly (likely to those anoraks here) Telemundo didn’t use the full lower bar title/topical bar that NBC News Specials use. Instead they used a similar design but it was floating on screen and didn’t reach the full width.

I imagine come election night the templates layout will be the same or almost the same between NBC and Telemundo with maybe some color changes to expedite graphics packages and share content easily. They essentially had the same design as NBC in 2016 down to bug placement and the little spot below the main Chyron (they used Viz to be precise) for affiliates to place local results. The local results space likely was only used by NBC & Telemundo O&Os. Most station groups build their own tickers that end your squeezing the picture.

TM
TMD_24
Basing on what I'm hearing on Reliable Sources on CNN. It sounds like they may well be a lot of cutting away from the live feed of the RNC from TV networks (Except the likes of Fox obviously) to address lots of lies that will be mentioned by the likes of Trump throughout. Wasn't necessary from the DNC cause very little lies are said but sounds like we are expecting a lot of cutaways during the RNC.
Last edited by TMD_24 on 23 August 2020 5:45pm
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
So who are the BBC and ITV partnered with this year?
JF
JF World News

BBC have a partnership with CBS News
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

Im wonder if ITN will pair with NBC again or whether Sky will. Because someone said earlier that Sky would go with NBC
VA
valley

Im wonder if ITN will pair with NBC again or whether Sky will. Because someone said earlier that Sky would go with NBC

Sky are definitely pairing with NBC. They’re owned by the same company, and have been sharing coverage for coronavirus purposes.
Alfie Mulcahy and TVViewer256 gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen

Sky are definitely pairing with NBC. They’re owned by the same company, and have been sharing coverage for coronavirus purposes.

I imagine it could be both. Sky and ITV getting NBC content. With NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC News Now and even Telemundo.

As I’ve said before MSNBC seems to regularly pull clips from NaT, specifically The 11th Hour at least once a month and it’s been inferred as our partners at ITV.
Jeffmister, Alfie Mulcahy and TVViewer256 gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

I imagine it could be both. Sky and ITV getting NBC content. With NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC News Now and even Telemundo.

As I’ve said before MSNBC seems to regularly pull clips from NaT, specifically The 11th Hour at least once a month and it’s been inferred as our partners at ITV.

Yeah. It'll be interesting to see
BR
Brekkie
Is NBC News Now their equivalent of CBSN? Amazes me really the MSNBC branding hasn't been scrapped considering it is a long time now since Microsoft pulled out of that deal.
RO
Rogo23
Is NBC News Now their equivalent of CBSN? Amazes me really the MSNBC branding hasn't been scrapped considering it is a long time now since Microsoft pulled out of that deal.

Kinda, they do "live" from 3pm - 11pm Eastern Monday - Friday, the other hours and weekends are filled with rotating NBC News programing, usually repeats of programs like Early Today. The MSNBC branding is not going anywhere, it has a very loyal brand following and changing the name wouldn't be popular. We've seen NBCU try the "NBC News" branding during daytime hours and that didn't work out, as long as MSNBC is opinion and politics they won't change the name.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
It sounds like they may well be a lot of cutting away from the live feed of the RNC from TV networks (Except the likes of Fox obviously).

Yet, it's actually Fox's opinion hosts that are the ones still cutting in and talking over the coverage:

As far as I can see from the last two nights, the other networks mostly taking the feed as is, maybe a commercial break or two more than last week. And a bit of background info overlaid here and there:

SC
scottishtv Founding member
Lower-thirds from RNC night 2, presented without comment:

Ghost and JamesWorldNews gave kudos

Newer posts