TV Home Forum

STV Main Thread:

STV appeal, and Autumn pres is now in use (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TE
tellyblues
kez19 posted:
Jonwo posted:
I would imagine that it's more economically viable for STV Studios to produce a drama that can be shown UK wide like The Victim for BBC One than make a drama that only going to shown on STV.

Yeah, but STV do produce content that is only expected to be shown on STV. Perhaps Jon doesn't know that.

But when they do produce content just for Scotland, people complain that they are missing a repeat of Paul O' Grady or something. Because of the way ITV is now run,, there are no times for regional opt out (apart from the news) so STV, like all other ITV regions, has very few opportunities for showing local programmes. I suspect that in the longer term, they will start to produce more local programmes which will just be available on the STV Player but at the moment, they are doing good business producing content for other broadcasters.

That's fine but what I find annoying - and pointless tbh - is people labelling STV produced output as cheap when it can only ever be cheap. As I said and you have also alluded to, the popularity of ITV programming prevents STV from overhauling the schedule and a 7.30pm slot is what they are basically stuck with when it comes to opt outs. This more or less rules out drama and ensures "cheap" documentaries.

Regarding viewers moaning about Paul O'Grady not being shown, I assume you to mean the most recent example? I would think that unless viewers were aware of it either via STV somehow foolishly trailing it (did they?) or by consulting the ITV schedule for that particular day, nobody really cared. Yes, most would have worked out that the High Road tribute wasn't being shown in England but they can't expect STV to make programmes for them and not have to opt out from the ITV schedule at some point.

Just to pick up a point here however, they opt out a show (fine), but why not air the opt after 11pm (ITV) and for it to be made available via their player? (its not rocket science), but whenever they start running shows (be it already started on ITV), they'll hop in for no reason and won't show previous episodes either (again why have a programme available for the area when you can't be that bothered to even go back?). In terms of programming even if we have to go back a few years ago - Tales From Northumberland went so far and wasn't completed, Barging around Britain was another but I guess viewers would be better with things like that watch ITV instead/elsewhere or on ITV3/4 at least.

STV in terms of programming they do themselves (opt outs) its pretty obvious as you only need to look at their own appeal show which every year looks like someone has been to a local Santas Grotto from a shopping centre. I said this before but I am surprised why STV don't attempt making dramas than reviving old ones - as this would be something that surely could be made for the UK/international markets (seems more like here that can't be bothered)

Also can we stop saying these "opt outs" are local.... how can STV programming be "local"? I stay in Dundee its not that local to me if its broadcasting from Glasgow is it? Maybe people should say regional instead than local opt outs? Under STV Grampian no longer exists for me and again I only get news and its mostly broadcasting from Glasgow these days.

Agree - don't know why they can't air the programmes they opt out of after 11pm especially when they could shift the schedule a bit and cut back on ITV Nightscreen. Regarding STV Player, there are probably contractual reasons why they can't have programmes they don't show on catch-up.

The main problem with STV's opt outs is that they aren't a like for like production-wise so STV have to "hop in". For example, STV will have a one-off 30 min episode but ITV have a six part series. If they want to avoid hopping in, STV need to find 5x30 to then catch up with ITV eventually. Again, a 7.30pm slot restricts what they can show. Ultimately, viewers would turn off with repeats of Sean's Scotland and advertising rates for that slot would be questioned so even if people do get annoyed with the constant hopping in, STV running with ITV is the most effective (but certainly not ideal) way of dealing with the situation. Unless STV remedy that by producing in greater numbers this is the reality for viewers.

I haven't seen the STV Appeal but the dodgy production values (I'm guessing it's studio-based?) is probably down to the fact that props etc are only going to be used once or twice so it doesn't justify shelling out on. Sad that this would put off viewers from donating as it's a genuine cause and not some chancer collecting in the street.

Drama to be shown on STV would have to be networked to be financially worthwhile for them to make. Somehow I don't think ITV would be interested in something with a primarily Scottish cast unless there was an angle to it, i.e. based on a true story. Anything major that has happened in Scotland has been pulled apart already in documentaries and there is not the same appetite up here to distort facts for the sake of drama.
ST
stuart621
kez19 posted:

Just to pick up a point here however, they opt out a show (fine), but why not air the opt after 11pm (ITV) and for it to be made available via their player? (its not rocket science) .

Simple - ratings. They want their programmes to be seen by the maximum number of viewers possible and they will get far higher ratings in peak time. All of their programming is available on the STV Player.

kez19 posted:
I said this before but I am surprised why STV don't attempt making dramas than reviving old ones - as this would be something that surely could be made for the UK/international markets (seems more like here that can't be bothered)

They do - it’s just that some of them are shown on other networks (such as BBC One). They had two high profile dramas shown on the BBC last year, both of which gained good viewing figures, were highly acclaimed and won awards.

kez19 posted:
Also can we stop saying these "opt outs" are local.... how can STV programming be "local"? I stay in Dundee its not that local to me if its broadcasting from Glasgow is it? Maybe people should say regional instead than local opt outs? Under STV Grampian no longer exists for me and again I only get news and its mostly broadcasting from Glasgow these days.

All of this week’s news programmes have come from Aberdeen. Under normal circumstances, the news opts are local - presumably you’ve seen the Tayside bulletin which comes from their Dundee studio. This was stopped during lockdown but is due to start again during the first week of September. These local bulletins are very popular with their viewers so I’m sure most people will be glad to see them back.
ST
stuart621

Drama to be shown on STV would have to be networked to be financially worthwhile for them to make. Somehow I don't think ITV would be interested in something with a primarily Scottish cast unless there was an angle to it, i.e. based on a true story. Anything major that has happened in Scotland has been pulled apart already in documentaries and there is not the same appetite up here to distort facts for the sake of drama.

Not sure that’s the case. In the past, there have been loads of drama series on many different channels which have been set in Scotland and have been popular across the UK.
TE
tellyblues

Not sure that’s the case. In the past, there have been loads of drama series on many different channels which have been set in Scotland and have been popular across the UK.

For ITV, only The Loch springs to mind in recent times. They showed Rebus and Taggart but that was almost a decade earlier.
GO
gottago

For ITV, only The Loch springs to mind in recent times. They showed Rebus and Taggart but that was almost a decade earlier.

It's not a case of ITV actively not wanting dramas set in Scotland and/or with a primarily Scottish cast though. If it's a good story with a decent production team attached they will commission it. STV's drama department frankly wasn't very good until they changed the team a few years ago and they've started getting things away.
Universal_r and Jonwo gave kudos
ST
stuart621

It's not a case of ITV actively not wanting dramas set in Scotland and/or with a primarily Scottish cast though. If it's a good story with a decent production team attached they will commission it. STV's drama department frankly wasn't very good until they changed the team a few years ago and they've started getting things away.

I don’t think STV has had a drama department for many years. It’s only in the last couple of years they have started to produce drama again. At the time of Taggart, Rebus, McCallum etc they were producing many well-liked dramas.
ST
stuart621

“Traces” on Alibi was shot in Dundee. “Elizabeth is Missing” was filmed in Scotland. “Outlander”, “Shetland”, “Clique”, “Trust Me”, “The Victim” - all recent dramas made in Scotland. “The Cry” set in Glasgow as well as Australia. Those are just the ones which spring to mind. Maybe none on ITV but if other networks are interested in Scottish drama, STV can make them.
JO
Jonwo
I'm surprised STV hasn't developed a Rebus or Taggart prequel series yet given the success of Endeavour for ITV.
TE
tellyblues

I should say, I don't think ITV dismiss dramas simply because they are "Scottish". I wouldn't expect them to be faced with that decision often anyway because the production companies they deal with are unlikely to be brimming full of ideas for "Scottish" dramas. That's expected but nothing wrong with it at all.

“Traces” on Alibi was shot in Dundee. “Elizabeth is Missing” was filmed in Scotland. “Outlander”, “Shetland”, “Clique”, “Trust Me”, “The Victim” - all recent dramas made in Scotland. “The Cry” set in Glasgow as well as Australia. Those are just the ones which spring to mind. Maybe none on ITV but if other networks are interested in Scottish drama, STV can make them.

Which I know about. It was my impression that kez19 was aware of these too and understood his/her point about STV making dramas to mean these being opt-outs instead of the documentaries they currently show, hence why I was focusing on ITV's involvement - essentially what it would take for one made by STV to be broadcast on STV.
ST
stuart621

Which I know about. It was my impression that kez19 was aware of these too and understood his/her point about STV making dramas to mean these being opt-outs instead of the documentaries they currently show, hence why I was focusing on ITV's involvement - essentially what it would take for one made by STV to be broadcast on STV.

Indeed. Given the cost of producing drama, I can’t see them making anything unless it’s networked. Even in the “glory days” of ITV, I don’t think many regional companies would have made drama just for their region.
CO
Coronavision

Indeed. Given the cost of producing drama, I can’t see them making anything unless it’s networked. Even in the “glory days” of ITV, I don’t think many regional companies would have made drama just for their region.

There were examples of regions joining to produce drama though.

I don't recall the name of the series but in 1991 TVS and Tyne Tees made a four-part, one hour drama set in Newcastle and Southampton which was only shown in the two regions, in prime time as I recall. Then there were a few regional soaps around the country. It was the exception though.
UN
Universal_r
Didn’t get a video but stv just went completely back for about 40 seconds after news at ten they also just caught the end of a promo where all you herd was “stv player”

Newer posts