The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
UN
Universal_r
The late news is 23:45-00:05 tonight I wonder what the point is in actually having a bulletin that late is. surely when it gets that late People just turn off as soon as the movie is finished.
itsrobert and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
ITV’s evening news bulletin was much longer than the BBC’s equivalent tonight. I know it gets mentioned when it’s the opposite way round, so it’s worth pointing out when it’s this way round.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
The late news is 23:45-00:05 tonight I wonder what the point is in actually having a bulletin that late is. surely when it gets that late People just turn off as soon as the movie is finished.

That happened just a few weeks ago. Chris Ship even signed off with. "And that's the news. I can now say to you, Good Morning!" or something similar.
IT
itsrobert Founding member

I guess it's a tough call really as the previous junction was at 21:10 which would be early for the late bulletin these days and would also kill the lead in from The Voice into the film. Or they could interrupt the film for the news somewhere around 22:30 but that would annoy those watching the film. I guess it's no win for them which is probably why they've scheduled it at 23:45. Like you say, though, at that late time it's hardly worth it. I just feel sorry for the production staff at ITN who will have had to hang around until after midnight tonight.

I wonder what they would have done with this situation in the 1990s? I do seem to recall the news would sometimes interrupt the late film. Can't remember if that was more of a BBC thing though. Can anyone remember?

I do recall the late ITN News sometimes being on at about 20:50 in the 1990s which does seem ridiculously early. From the sublime to the ridiculous!
chevron and uktvwatcher gave kudos
ST
Stuart
I do recall the late ITN News sometimes being on at about 20:50 in the 1990s which does seem ridiculously early. From the sublime to the ridiculous!

I'm sure I recall ITV interrupting blockbuster films in the 1990s to have a short ITN bulletin if it spanned most of the highest rating part of the evening.

However, it would be interesting to see the ratings for the news at 23:45, and whether both the people who stayed up until the end of a 31 year old film bothered to watch it. Razz
JL
JamesLaverty1925
And an example from 1996 (according to comments on YT) that the late news was on at 7:55! Any ideas on this one? My only guess is long movie starting at 8:15
BR
Brekkie
Gladiators, Blind Date, Family Fortunes and ITN News used to be the pretty regular line up from 6.15 to 9pm.
DE88, watchingtv and itsrobert gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Gladiators, Blind Date, Family Fortunes and ITN News used to be the pretty regular line up from 6.15 to 9pm.

Ah those were the days. And programmes like the Generation Game, Noel's House Party, Big Break and Challenge Anneka on BBC1. I used to love Saturday nights when I was a kid.

And remember when the National Lottery started and it was the big thing to watch the draw live on BBC1 on Saturday night? Everyone I knew used to buy a ticket every week back then!
MA
Meridian AM

Ah those were the days. And programmes like the Generation Game, Noel's House Party, Big Break and Challenge Anneka on BBC1. I used to love Saturday nights when I was a kid.

And remember when the National Lottery started and it was the big thing to watch the draw live on BBC1 on Saturday night? Everyone I knew used to buy a ticket every week back then!

Yes, great memories 😊
ME
meridiantvfan
Who was the presenter on at lunchtime yesterday ? Never seen her before plus a new weather girl just now on the late news. Good to see some new faces
SW
Steve Williams
And an example from 1996 (according to comments on YT) that the late news was on at 7:55! Any ideas on this one? My only guess is long movie starting at 8:15

ITV would quite frequently show the Saturday evening news around 8pm in the mid-nineties - often so it would avoid them starting a show in the middle of the lottery.
BA
Ballyboy
If I’m correct. the weekend news had a regional opt out in the early 2000s?
Last edited by Ballyboy on 23 August 2020 11:24am

Newer posts