The Newsroom

New Discovery & Murdoch News Channels?

Prime Time Only Murdoch Channel - Page 12 (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVViewer256
From what I’ve been told this is all actually happening - think a version of Fox News in the UK, essentially.

As people have said, however, I’m not sure how they’ll get past Ofcom impartiality regulations.

As people have said, C4 News manage and others manage it!

e.g. One news channel could lead on Dominic Cummings breaking the lockdown and barely mention or not mention at all that Labour MP Rosie Duffield did similar. Another channel could do the opposite. Is there impartiality or bias to warrant Ofcom intervening?

Good point - might be difficult though due to the fact that they're branding themselves as a right-wing channel. C4 News has a bias (to some) but they claim to be impartial, which is the difference.
Last edited by TVViewer256 on 22 August 2020 12:29pm
JA
james-2001
When you're biased yourself, you'll see someone who is impartial as having a bias.
DE
derek500
From what I’ve been told this is all actually happening - think a version of Fox News in the UK, essentially.

As people have said, however, I’m not sure how they’ll get past Ofcom impartiality regulations.

e.g. One news channel could lead on Dominic Cummings breaking the lockdown and barely mention or not mention at all that Labour MP Rosie Duffield did similar. Another channel could do the opposite. Is there impartiality or bias to warrant Ofcom intervening?

Good point - might be difficult though due to the fact that they're branding themselves as a right-wing channel. C4 News has a bias but they claim to be impartial, which is the difference.

'They' haven't said anything. It's all just based on a Tweet. The media are always putting their own false spin on things.
TV
TVViewer256

Good point - might be difficult though due to the fact that they're branding themselves as a right-wing channel. C4 News has a bias but they claim to be impartial, which is the difference.

'They' haven't said anything. It's all just based on a Tweet. The media are always putting their own false spin on things.

Apologies - I was going off what I have heard personally. Though I do think that the plan is to market themselves as a right-wing alternative.
JA
james-2001

'They' haven't said anything. It's all just based on a Tweet.

A tweet made by a man who made up horiffic lies about Hillsborough.
bkman1990, Ste and London Lite gave kudos
RA
radiolistener

Good point - might be difficult though due to the fact that they're branding themselves as a right-wing channel. C4 News has a bias (to some) but they claim to be impartial, which is the difference.

Fox News claim (or at least they did) that they were fair and balanced!
james-2001 and TVViewer256 gave kudos
RA
radiolistener
A right sided news network might work in the UK, but then how many will drop off when they announce things like wanting the end of the NHS?
JA
james-2001

Fox News claim (or at least they did) that they were fair and balanced!

To be fair, they are "fair and balanced" if you're far right.
bkman1990, Ghost and London Lite gave kudos
GL
globaltraffic24
The best of luck to them. They’ll need it. Exactly the same attempt was made in Canada with Sun News. It was cringe-inducing stuff, despite having the resources and backing of a major newspaper. (Albeit a dreadful newspaper). It was dubbed ‘Canada’s Fox News’ and lasted a couple of years before the plug was pulled. The country had no right leaning TV outlet, so there was a potential audience for it, but Canada - like the UK - is not the USA. Simply doomed to fail.
what and London Lite gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
I wouldn't believe anything on Politicalite. "Sky News has lost ... its reputation for unbiased news." Really? Who actually believes this?

Also, unless Murdoch is going to be launching an online-only channel, it's going to have to comply with Ofcom's due impartiality and due accuracy rules, so can't be a "right-wing outlet".

It's how the news is reported that concerns Ofcom, not what news is covered and running order etc.

Surely choice of stories is part of 'how news is reported' and absolutely something that can skew the partiality of a news channsl
IS
Inspector Sands
What does this have to do with Discovery?
JO
Jon
I’m surprised Discovery would want to be a part of this venture.

Newer posts