TV Home Forum

Loose Women | 21 Years Old - Sept 2020

(August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
cal0906
An Andrea, Stacey and Nadia free week on LW this week!
MA
Meridian AM

Perfect!
JW
JamesWorldNews

Perfect!

I presume you’re not a big fan of those three? Lol.

This week, I’ve only seen the Monday edition and haven’t caught up with the remainder of the week fully as yet.

As I mentioned a few pages back, it’s fallen a bit flat of late. Something fresh is needed, but don’t know what more they could do in the pursuit of that other than replace some of the talent.

Not mentioning any names, but it’s quite noticeable of late that some of the panelists don’t want to be there (or certainly give that impression).

Do you remember a number of years ago they ran a competition to allow an ordinary member of the public to become a Loose Woman? If I recall correctly, she was then given a 12 weeks slot as a panelist and appeared one day per week alongside three “celebs”.

I wonder if that could work again?

Anyway, it needs something.
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 21 August 2020 11:23am
MA
Meridian AM

Perfect!

I presume you’re not a big fan of those three? Lol.

This week, I’ve only seen the Monday edition and haven’t caught up with the remainder of the week fully as yet.

As I mentioned a few pages back, it’s fallen a bit flat of late. Something fresh is needed, but don’t know what more they could do in the pursuit of that other than replace some of the talent.

Not mentioning any names, but it’s quite noticeable of late that some of the panelists don’t want to be there (or certainly give that impression).

Do you remember a number of years ago they ran a competition to allow an ordinary member of the public to become a Loose Woman? If I recall correctly, she was then given a 12 weeks slot as a panelist and appeared one day per week alongside three “celebs”.

I wonder if that could work again?

Anyway, it needs something.

I agree with you. It is flat these days. What I do prefer is not having the studio audience cheering and clapping after every sentence the women say, with the women playing to them.
I said before that I don't like one of them being on the webcam. Just use the 3 in the studio and forget the webcam woman each day, conversation would flow better without having to keep inviting the webcam one for their thoughts.
You are right, as it seems some of them don't seem to enjoy it anymore (though I'm sure they are still very much enjoying the big money they receive for each appearance!)
The programme does go around in circles a lot, keep bringing back the same topics and often picking ridiculous ones that you can only say so much about. One of the topics yesterday was 'do you cream yourself after the shower?' (use moisturiser)... It is pretty lame, really...
JO
Jonwo
Does it really matter that the discussions can be a bit silly? If all they talked about was coronavirus and unemployment figures, you can bet the ratings would tumble very quickly.
CA
cal0906
Jonwo posted:
Does it really matter that the discussions can be a bit silly? If all they talked about was coronavirus and unemployment figures, you can bet the ratings would tumble very quickly.

I don't mind the odd fun discussion but sometimes the show feels embarrassing. A couple of weeks ago they had a section all about screaming, Nadia and Judi spent most of the time in the studio screaming out loud- Jane looked totally embarrassed.

You can still make the show entertaining and interesting by having good topics and debates.
Universal_r, Charlesy and Meridian AM gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
Blimey! What a topic!

I agree with the comment about the audience. The show has a better feel without the audience and there is a bit more focus and clarity from the panel, only disturbed by having the overtalking from someone DTL who obviously doesn’t catch the visual cues that she’d get when sat at the desk.

That said, once medical conditions allow, I would personally run Mon-Thurs without an audience and only have the audience in for Friday.

Unless there are shielding or occupancy reasons which dictate only 3 panelists in the studio, I feel this could be quite easily overcome by building a new desk (not necessarily semi circular) which would still allow 4 to be positioned at the desk while maintaining distance. Unless it’s the off-Studio facilities that create the “three person only” rule.

The current visuals are quite good and don’t need to be changed (Studio, set, graphics, etc).

And if the audience is not coming back, surely the studio space could be converted to create a separate “island” desk to allow studio guests to come back.

The panelists at their main desk and the guests at a distance at another smaller desk or sofa nearby.

On the subject of DTL, I’m reminded of Penny Lancaster’s most recent appearance from home. She did every segment of the show from different rooms in their mansion. It was quite hilarious and tacky, IMO. (Not the furnishings, but their decision to have Penny in a different palatial location for each topic. Including draped across a big bed. Haha).
BR
Brekkie
Surely keeping the 4th panelist virtual at the moment keeps options open for a more varied panel. I think adding a 4th in a socially distanced manner would just look even more awkward on screen and the benefits versus rewards just don't make it worth it.
SI
Siggy
I’m surprised they haven’t tried to tempt Jane McDonald back for a 6 month stint. With her tour postponed and cruise cancelled she could potentially have some time to make a short return. Even more so with Carol and Denise back.

Agree it does feel very flat at the moment and needs some life breathed into it.

Carol Vorderman and Sally Lindsay were also fun on the show.
cal0906, JamesWorldNews and DeMarkay gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
Not a bad idea, Siggy. And I would agree with a limited six months stint.

Jane has left and returned already in the past. Quite often although we, as viewers and fans, believe a certain formula might work, the presenters themselves may have decided that they’ve moved on and don’t want to go backwards.

Whilst Coleen, Denise, Carol, Kaye, Nadia and Jane Moore have all left and come back, Jane McD was often quite forthright about making focussed career decisions. So, I’m not sure she’d be tempted back. Or even if they want her back.

People do change their minds, mind you. Aligned with circumstances that also change with time.

There’s some seriously good talent in the on-air team. But it has to blended correctly with colleagues and good content for the best results.

I think we’re all agreed that there is definitely a place for fluff on LW. There always has been and that’s part of the appeal of the show.

Again, the right blend is what’s needed. Proper balance of light and heavy.

Do they have too many panelists now?

Heck, I don’t know what it is. But things just don’t feel right at the moment.
MA
Meridian AM
It's just stuck in a rut. Same fluff and self love all the time.
CA
cal0906
When Christine & Ruth return in September, are there going to be too many anchors with Ranvir & Charlene part of the show now too?

I hope Kaye isn't demoted to just being a panellist again.

Newer posts