TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
Especially since they were definitely filmed under COVID conditions, because face masks are being worn!
BR
Brekkie
Yes, that is baffling. It's not like they didn't have weeks to rewrite it, and didn't they even reference not being able to visit Yasmeen when she ended up in hospital.

Are the current episodes still effecitvely double episodes too?
IT
IndigoTucker
I would say it may have been a conscious decision, as a great many TV viewers need to see lips moving to understand what people are saying. If everyone in Corrie land starts face masking, the understanding will be lost significantly. Sometimes, a theatrical truth trumps a logical one.
JA
JAS84
I would say it may have been a conscious decision, as a great many TV viewers need to see lips moving to understand what people are saying.
That's why Subtitles exist.
BR
Brekkie
JAS84 posted:
I would say it may have been a conscious decision, as a great many TV viewers need to see lips moving to understand what people are saying.

Would you say the same if they suddenly started obscuring all the audio too? IndigoTucker makes a very valid point, one I hadn't thought of.
Jacq, tightrope78 and chevron gave kudos
JO
Joe
It's not just people who are hard of hearing who benefit from lip reading! We all do – and I think many of us with great hearing have had to concentrate that little bit harder to hear people who are wearing a mask. I don't think we all want to be doing than when relaxing watching TV. It's Coronation Street, not Panorama, though sometimes posts on here make me wonder if people believe it is in fact a factual programme.
CH
chris
I wasn’t actually suggesting masks - I was suggesting they wouldn’t be allowed in at all.
IT
IndigoTucker
Well you say that, my mother-in-law has recently been making daily visits to an ill relative in hospital. No masks required in the patient's side room either.
BA
bilky asko
JAS84 posted:

Subtitles are not an accessible option for all.
CH
chris
Well you say that, my mother-in-law has recently been making daily visits to an ill relative in hospital. No masks required in the patient's side room either.

Oh interesting. I think it’s varying hospital-to-hospital. Though three people mingling in the waiting room like they were a week or so ago wouldn’t be allowed.

12 days later

JA
james-2001
There were no end credits on the 26/6/96 edition on ITV yesterday, which is strange, we just got the last few seconds of the theme and straight to the endcap. Is this how it went out originally?
SP
Spencer
There were no end credits on the 26/6/96 edition on ITV yesterday, which is strange, we just got the last few seconds of the theme and straight to the endcap. Is this how it went out originally?

It was the day that England got knocked out of Euro 96 on penalties in the semi-finals. Not sure if that might have had something to do with it.

Or it could be a total red herring.

Newer posts