Mass Media & Technology

Cable Clutter

What's the best way to deal with it? (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Like a lot of people my computer desk is a real mess and I want to tidy it up. Its a glass and metal desk so drilling is out of the question.

My setup is as follows
A 19 inch samsung monitor and a 2015 mac mini

Its all plugged it to an Ikea Koppla 3 plug/2 USB powerstrip

What I'm considering is trying to attach the Koppla to the underside of the desk using 3M Command Strips or similar.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Cabletidy?
NL
Ne1L C
I have some but am wondering if its possible to affix the power supplies to the underside of the desk.
MA
Markymark
I have some but am wondering if its possible to affix the power supplies to the underside of the desk.

I've just bought an Ikea Idasen desk, it has an excellent elasticated net underneath (see pic 3/5). Holds a lot, though I still needed to cable tie 2 four way mains strips to the metalwork. However it makes for a neat job

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/idasen-desk-brown-beige-s39281018/
NL
Ne1L C
I've already got a desk and its made out of glass and metal. Its similar to this.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=rWkt9gJL&id=EDE57C71FE277A3807E42008AEB0925C6D71E0B5&thid=OIP.rWkt9gJLF2VTAGt8xgLBbwHaEL&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2ffivemiles-res.cloudinary.com%2fimage%2fupload%2ff_auto%2ct_i800%2fv1500176118%2fj2fuidkxckpnlzsf12z8.jpg&exph=451&expw=800&q=glass+and+metal+desk+with+x+shaped+legs&simid=607997009280239643&ck=F6A0003EE08DF2A06286A2623CE03805&selectedIndex=6&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0
MA
Markymark

Ooh, well that does present a rather a challenge !
NL
Ne1L C

Indeed. I’ve got a temporary setup which is holding but am looking for something far more permanent.
BA
bilky asko
I would be tempted (if you haven't already) to get a mounting bracket for the Mac Mini to attach to the VESA mount on the monitor, and then somehow attach the 3-way socket to the monitor (a Command strip should be sufficient I would have thought). Then you only have one cable visibly coming from the monitor to go to a wall socket, the other two could then be concealed behind the monitor.
NL
Ne1L C
I’ll have a look at the mount. Thanks.
DA
Dave Founding member
How about getting some metal effect trunking that can run along the back of the desk on the underside bars and fit cables into that so they all feed out on either the left or right and then down to the ground. Add various access holes to the trunking to enable cables to go in at various points.

I did something similar with an oak/glass desk and looks as if it was part of the original design and hides all the cables modern life creates.
NL
Ne1L C
Dave posted:
How about getting some metal effect trunking that can run along the back of the desk on the underside bars and fit cables into that so they all feed out on either the left or right and then down to the ground. Add various access holes to the trunking to enable cables to go in at various points.

I did something similar with an oak/glass desk and looks as if it was part of the original design and hides all the cables modern life creates.

Can you provide any links?

Newer posts