TV Home Forum

French TV

Old and new (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SN
The SNT Three
But to be fair the presenter roster being a bit random is the least of their worries - it's the embarrassing scaling back of coverage during summer that lets them down and has really caught them out in the last few days. All the competitors have fill in anchors all over their schedules (it's no worse than BBC News/Breakfast)... And the average French viewer knows exactly what's going on when the A-team takes the whole summer off!
TR
TheTravelcard
Franceinfo tonight:

2335 - Newsbar flashes "UK will impose quarantine on those arriving from France from Saturday"
2337 - A report entitled 'Destination Europe - Scilly Isles, the Caribbean islands of the South of England"
2339 - Vox-pops of tourists saying its a great place to come and visit
2341 - Newsreader announces "And we've just learnt the UK will be imposing a quarantine on those arriving from France from Saturday" and bulletin closes fairly abruptly with no further explanation, analysis or reaction of this development

Classic Franceinfo - looks pretty, actually pretty useless.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Franceinfo tonight:

2335 - Newsbar flashes "UK will impose quarantine on those arriving from France from Saturday"
2337 - A report entitled 'Destination Europe - Scilly Isles, the Caribbean islands of the South of England"
2339 - Vox-pops of tourists saying its a great place to come and visit
2341 - Newsreader announces "And we've just learnt the UK will be imposing a quarantine on those arriving from France from Saturday" and bulletin closes fairly abruptly with no further explanation, analysis or reaction of this development

Classic Franceinfo - looks pretty, actually pretty useless.

They were still doing it this morning. Headline says the UK is imposing quarantine from people arriving from France, followed by the SAME VT about the Isles of Scilly!

I'm fully expecting tomorrow morning when the restrictions start that they'll wheel in Alizé Lutran again to record a loop of news with filler, complete with the same VT about Scilly.
LL
But to be fair the presenter roster being a bit random is the least of their worries - it's the embarrassing scaling back of coverage during summer that lets them down and has really caught them out in the last few days. All the competitors have fill in anchors all over their schedules (it's no worse than BBC News/Breakfast)... And the average French viewer knows exactly what's going on when the A-team takes the whole summer off!

The main difference is the other news channels have set presenters for the period without the quality going down. Where as Franceinfo have basically got whoever they can find who isn't on leave for that particular day while heavily relying on recorded loops of news.
LL
The 5pm bulletin on Franceinfo seemed to be better resourced than the weekend morning show. Two reporters in the studio providing analysis, despite the bulletin only being just under 20 mins.

The early bulletin was again a mix of short news bulletins, filler from TV5MONDE and other short Franceinfo programmes and the presenter carrying on until 11am of which some were recordings from the top of the hour.
SN
The SNT Three

The main difference is the other news channels have set presenters for the period without the quality going down. Where as Franceinfo have basically got whoever they can find who isn't on leave for that particular day while heavily relying on recorded loops of news.

The channel is certainly devoid of content, yes. It's clear they have been running the channel on a shoestring which shows when big news breaks. I can perhaps understand the odd recorded bulletin if the news hasn't changed... most viewers probably dip into the channel for one bulletin, especially on the weekends. Watch BFMTV and apart from visual changes/presenter changes, consecutive hours of news get repetitive too.

I don't think it's right to say they're just plucking whoever isn't on leave and getting them to read the bulletins. They've relied on a fairly small pool of regular fill-ins and there has been a regular face (Sébastien/Johanna) every day on the 6h30/9h30 slot which is probably their main priority. It's actually probably more consistent than BFMTV which is almost exclusively fill-ins all week too, but for a schedule which requires several more presenters per day than franceinfo.
TR
TheTravelcard
Although Franceinfo is the only news channel not to have yet announced when its rentrée/back to normal schedule will resume, perhaps we can suspect that they may have heeded some of the above commentary. Today's matinale started showing " Le 6h30:8h30 " on the studio screens, before reverting to 9h30, maybe daytimes might get bulkier from 9am soon? If they don't, it's game over as the audience figures continue to be catastrophic, particularly between 9am and noon when BFMTV and CNEWS do particularly well.
LL
Although Franceinfo is the only news channel not to have yet announced when its rentrée/back to normal schedule will resume, perhaps we can suspect that they may have heeded some of the above commentary. Today's matinale started showing " Le 6h30:8h30 " on the studio screens, before reverting to 9h30, maybe daytimes might get bulkier from 9am soon? If they don't, it's game over as the audience figures continue to be catastrophic, particularly between 9am and noon when BFMTV and CNEWS do particularly well.

I'd speculate that the back to normal service will resume on Monday 31st August.

The channel is certainly devoid of content, yes. It's clear they have been running the channel on a shoestring which shows when big news breaks. I can perhaps understand the odd recorded bulletin if the news hasn't changed... most viewers probably dip into the channel for one bulletin, especially on the weekends. Watch BFMTV and apart from visual changes/presenter changes, consecutive hours of news get repetitive too.

I don't think it's right to say they're just plucking whoever isn't on leave and getting them to read the bulletins. They've relied on a fairly small pool of regular fill-ins and there has been a regular face (Sébastien/Johanna) every day on the 6h30/9h30 slot which is probably their main priority. It's actually probably more consistent than BFMTV which is almost exclusively fill-ins all week too, but for a schedule which requires several more presenters per day than franceinfo.

I have to disagree, Sebastien has done a couple of weeks, then went off, Johanna I'd agree has been the most frequent of the presenters and has been on again this week with Louis Laforge in her normal newsreading role. But those days haven't been the usual Mon-Fri, sometimes she's come in and done Thurs-Mon, then back two or three days later, where there's no continuity in who has been the regular presenter. In the early part of the holiday, one of the two regular of the weekend morning presenters would come in with someone else depping with them with a full morning programme and then from the beginning of August has been one of the reporters coming in and doing the 15 min wheel of news.

So far this week has been the most stable of the morning shows on Franceinfo, Louis and Johanna for the last two days, along with Alix Dauge who's been off for a month doing the touch screen features. And then it goes back to the 15 min wheel from 9am.

The second presenter role and the duty journalists who do the touch screen features have varied from day to day and even week to week.
CH
Charles
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's noticed a decline in quality on franceinfo:. Even with the budget cuts, I thought it was something still worth watching for a while. Now, just in the last month or two, it seems like all the life has been sucked out of the channel. Every half hour now is just a warmed-over 10-minute bulletin, a bunch of filler content, radio headlines, and then a more filler. Those filler pieces seem to last for days, perhaps even weeks at a time. I guess that format isn't all that different from France 24, but I suppose at least France 24 has never really promised to be much more than that.

As for France 2 presenters, more Jean-Baptiste Marteau, please.
ST
Ste Founding member
Telefoot have begun showing Ligue 1 tonight with Bordeaux vs Nantes being the first match, presented from a studio and using the same graphics as the world feed (see https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1254745#post-1254745). I believe the presenters and production are from TF1's Telefoot which the new rights holders Mediapro have licensed.

TR
TheTravelcard
Today's matinale started showing " Le 6h30:8h30 " on the studio screens, before reverting to 9h30, maybe daytimes might get bulkier from 9am soon? If they don't, it's game over as the audience figures continue to be catastrophic, particularly between 9am and noon when BFMTV and CNEWS do particularly well.

It would appear that Les Informés is gaining an early edition at 9am, so indeed it's Le 6h30:8h30 this year. We'll see how that turns out: https://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/france-info-decline-les-informes-dans-sa-matinale-20200821
LL
A reminder that France Ô is closing this evening. The final programme appears to be L'outre-mer fait son Olympia from 9.50pm to 4am local time.

However I still have EPG for tomorrow. I'd like to hope that the spare space from the SD channel will boost Franceinfo's resolution to 1440x1080 at least. This is the resolution used on French IPTV services such as Free, if not we'll have to wait until 2021 for the channel to go HD on TNT.

Newer posts