TV Home Forum

Loose Women | 21 Years Old - Sept 2020

(August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
denton
Cando posted:
She certainly wasn't in Northern Ireland.

She started as an assistant floor manager, was an occasional in vision announcer on BBC Choice NI, then moved into presenting various programmes in NI before moving to The One Show.

Gloria started as a singer, before getting into TV and radio production.

Ruth started as a transmission assistant before becoming an announcer.

Being a good presenter, capable of asking intelligent questions and keeping a programme on track, has nothing to do with having journalistic qualifications.

But that's what we're saying- the better anchors of the show (Kaye, Ruth, Ranvir, Charlene) all are journalists and they're the ones who ask the best questions and seem the most in control of the programme. They're also not scared of debate.

Andrea, Nadia and Christine (as much as I do like Christine) have less journalistic experience and they're the episodes that seem to have more naff content and seem out of control.

As I pointed out, Ruth started out as a transmission assistant before becoming an announcer... she doesn't have a journalistic qualification.

Andrea, on the other hand, does have a post-grad in journalism.

So the better anchors aren't all qualified journalists.

You could of course argue that Ruth has worked as a news anchor... but then, so has Gloria.
Gloria presented Good Evening Ulster (during the height of The Troubles) she conducted interviews in studio and on location. She started out as singer, but she's as much of a journalist as any of the others who have official qualifications in the subject.

Christine doesn't really have any hard news experience, as far as I know. She has written newspaper columns in the past, and I'm sure had input into many of the scripts she's read and of course conducted many interviews on The One Show, Daybreak, First Stop, Country Times, etc... but that's pretty much the extent of it. Town Challenge and Sky High weren't journalism.
Last edited by denton on 14 August 2020 1:21am - 2 times in total
BA
Bananas
Cando posted:
Cando posted:
She certainly wasn't in Northern Ireland.

I'm sure she did, you know.

Source? She was never a journalist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10363567

https://www.performingartistes.co.uk/artistes/christine-bleakley

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/christine-bleakley-and-frank-lampard-take-in-the-sights-with-a-morning-jog-in-co-down-30754383.html

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1163659/christine-lampard-net-worth
CA
cal0906
When a new panellist joins who is popular, Loose Women love to ram them down our throats by having them on 3+ times a week. It's Judi at the minute and whilst I like her, she does seem to be on a lot.

The same happened with Stacey & Brenda, IIRC we had Brenda for eight episodes in a row last Summer.
SI
Siggy
When a new panellist joins who is popular, Loose Women love to ram them down our throats by having them on 3+ times a week. It's Judi at the minute and whilst I like her, she does seem to be on a lot.

The same happened with Stacey & Brenda, IIRC we had Brenda for eight episodes in a row last Summer.

Exactly! The problem is by having them on too much their popularity disappears as you quickly get fed up of them; Stacey is a classic example for me. Once or twice a week is plenty!

It needs a variety to keep it fresh and what makes it interesting is how different panellists bounce off eachother.

I saw a couple of twitter comments when Denise/Carol were on the same day recently... people effectively calling it the Denise and Carol show. Sometimes can be over powering.

Think it’s time they ditched having some one at home too. Three is plenty, the person at home can’t usually get a word in until the host asks their opinion and interviews are messy.
CA
cal0906
Siggy posted:

Exactly! The problem is by having them on too much their popularity disappears as you quickly get fed up of them; Stacey is a classic example for me. Once or twice a week is plenty!

It needs a variety to keep it fresh and what makes it interesting is how different panellists bounce off eachother.

I saw a couple of twitter comments when Denise/Carol were on the same day recently... people effectively calling it the Denise and Carol show. Sometimes can be over powering.

Think it’s time they ditched having some one at home too. Three is plenty, the person at home can’t usually get a word in until the host asks their opinion and interviews are messy.

BIB- I agree, Kelle is a classic case today, barely said a word! I wonder when we’ll go back to four panellists?
MA
Meridian AM
Siggy posted:

Yes, why do they insist on having someone from home? It is awkward, as the line is often difficult to hear them clearly, there are delays, etc.
And they wait to be asked by the lead presenter for their thoughts. It makes them seem like a guest rather than one of the panellists.
It would be a lot smoother with just 3 women and we would probably be able to hear more in-depth thoughts and opinions from each of them.
But it seems the production likes to have 4 of them, so I guess 4 women - with one at home - is how it will be for the foreseeable future.
MA
Markymark

Yes, why do they insist on having someone from home? It is awkward, as the line is often difficult to hear them clearly, there are delays, etc.

It's the latest TV pres novelty. C4 News are the same.
JW
JamesWorldNews
To be fair to the production team, there’s a few (un)planned absences (plus the fact it’s summer) making things a bit difficult to resource.

Jane, Coleen, Linda, Glo, all away at the moment.

Others present (here) in the country have other broadcast/work commitments meaning their appearances are reduced in number from what was previously the norm.

Notwithstanding, I do get your point and do agree that less is more.
BR
Brekkie
Gloria presented Good Evening Ulster (during the height of The Troubles) she conducted interviews in studio and on location. She started out as singer, but she's as much of a journalist as any of the others who have official qualifications in the subject.

It baffles me that nobody has thought of turning their nightly news bulletin into a musical.
Rexogamer, chevron and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews

It baffles me that nobody has thought of turning their nightly news bulletin into a musical.

Travolta turned it down.
PI
pip2

Travolta turned it down.

I’d pay good money to watch Alastair Stewart and Mary Nightingale in London Tonight Fever.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Jane Moore will be back in the studio today after tunneling her way out of France to beat the quarantine deadline. Linda arrived back from Italy. And Denise made it home from Malta with the skin of her teeth.

The government is practically giving Loose Women enough material for a whole weeks programming with all these frantic flights!

Joking aside, as we have only 2 weeks left of the theoretical “summer” season of LW before the start of the new annual season, typically starting first week of September in the old days, I wonder what changes - if any - we can expect to see both in terms of content and line-up.

The combination of pandemic, distancing, an array of new presenters, DTL guests and technical challenges and some ongoing external issues for some of the panelists........I feel the show has become very disjointed at the moment. I don’t have a good feeling about it in the way I used to.

I think the production team have done a formidable job under the circumstances and they’ve still managed to put out some excellent television over the piece.

But something doesn’t feel right. Not sure I can put my finger on it.

I wonder if we’ll see a bit of a voluntary or involuntary shake-up with some departures of longer serving hosts or panelists?

There seems to be too many of them now.

Newer posts