TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland - the launch

Split from BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RR
RR
I assume though that the addition of regular football highlights will help ratings.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
as I might have said (much) earlier in this thread, BBC Scotland has some good commissions, and has got good value out of some decent archive content, and the concept (and look and feel though maybe not the titles) of The Nine is good. But they're in the awkward situation of not having quite enough to justify a channel, while also having a bit too much to squeeze in to opt-outs on BBC One and Two. I'm not sure what the right answer is, to be honest.

I think it's reasonable to suggest the BBC Scotland channel exists for largely political reasons. During the Scottish independence referendum the were threats of keeping the licence fee revenue collected in Scotland and setting up a 'Scottish Broadcasting Service'.

I suspect establishing BBC Scotland was/is in part an attempt to stop any future attempts to divert licence fee revenues, especially if there is another referendum in future. For that reason I can't see the channel getting axed any time soon, unless there were major concessions (e.g. more Scottish content on BBC One) to keep the Scottish parliament happy.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yep, it was what people wanted - that's what the politicians told us. Everyone was desperate for a Scottish national news bulletin
JO
Jon
as I might have said (much) earlier in this thread, BBC Scotland has some good commissions, and has got good value out of some decent archive content, and the concept (and look and feel though maybe not the titles) of The Nine is good. But they're in the awkward situation of not having quite enough to justify a channel, while also having a bit too much to squeeze in to opt-outs on BBC One and Two. I'm not sure what the right answer is, to be honest.

I think it's reasonable to suggest the BBC Scotland channel exists for largely political reasons. During the Scottish independence referendum the were threats of keeping the licence fee revenue collected in Scotland and setting up a 'Scottish Broadcasting Service'.

I suspect establishing BBC Scotland was/is in part an attempt to stop any future attempts to divert licence fee revenues, especially if there is another referendum in future. For that reason I can't see the channel getting axed any time soon, unless there were major concessions (e.g. more Scottish content on BBC One) to keep the Scottish parliament happy.

I think it goes without saying in an independent Scotland the licence fee (which I imagine would be reformed as general taxation) would go to whatever Scottish replacement came about. Of course some of that money would filter back into the BBC through programme rights. So I don’t think BBC Scotland in anyway prevents the creation of ‘Scottish BBC’ because it would only really independent Scotland and it would certainly happen in an independent Scotland.

I agree it was just created for political reasons. I think if they were ever serious about giving the Scotland channel a fighting chance at being credible proposition it would have got the BBC 2 slot.
BR
Brekkie
How does Reporting Scotland itself rate. Doesn't STV News beat it?
NJ
news junkie
How does Reporting Scotland itself rate. Doesn't STV News beat it?

In 2019 STV News got around 390k with a 30% share whilst BBC Reporting Scotland got around 380k with a 28% share.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/stv-wins-scottish-news-rating-21296399

STV News claim that in 2020 more than half a million are tuning in to their service, with the audience growing by 21%. http://www.stvplc.tv/blog/2020/06/stv-lockdown-ratings-boost.

It also appears that STV News is classed as more trusted than the BBC for coronavirus coverage with 81% compared to 77%
TE
tellyblues
RR posted:
I assume though that the addition of regular football highlights will help ratings.

They will, but they did feature in the latest set of BARB figures and when combined still fell short of Still Game.

Politics no doubt had something to do with the channel getting the go-ahead, but equally, the lack of programmes made for Scottish audiences in recent years due to STV's inability to commission them probably gave the BBC reason to think that the channel could be a success. If STV2 had failed on the back of schedules like BBC Scotland's it would have signalled loud and clear that there wasn't the demand.
GL
globaltraffic24
It all comes down to how you approach these things. Regrettably, the BBC has reverted to type with the channel. It’s full of cliched programming which simply adds to the nationalist view that the BBC sees Scotland as an insular, thick, working class Greater Glasgow. So many programmes about hairdressers, beauticians and Irish dancers. It’s mind numbing. BBC Scotland doesn’t need a huge budget. It just needs to tweak things at the sides and nail the audience. Give us more sport programming (they’re slowly understanding this), address some of the flaws in the news programming and focus heavily on the formats that work. Comedy, drama and lifestyle (like Scotland’s home of the year). Ditch the filler stuff and double down on the successes. They also need to address the awful info screen thing with endless highlights loops.
TH
Thistle
Ditch the filler stuff and double down on the successes. They also need to address the awful info screen thing with endless highlights loops.

What would you have instead of Scotsus? (the endless loop).
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I find it interesting that yesterday the station opened up for the football results for 40 minutes and then closed down again until 7.

Presumably that's just temporary and the football will revert to BBC One Scotland once the English Leagues start up and Final Score returns. But the idea of a station coming on air for one short programme and then closing down is something I don't think has really happened since the 80s
NL
Ne1L C
I find it interesting that yesterday the station opened up for the football results for 40 minutes and then closed down again until 7.

Presumably that's just temporary and the football will revert to BBC One Scotland once the English Leagues start up and Final Score returns. But the idea of a station coming on air for one short programme and then closing down is something I don't think has really happened since the 80s

It unusual. BBC Scotland does this regularly as far as I know with the daily press conferences (or as I call it Sturgeon Says...)

Edit: To be fair she has taken the conferences seriously and as far as I know led them all
Last edited by Ne1L C on 16 August 2020 10:34am - 2 times in total
TE
tellyblues
It all comes down to how you approach these things. Regrettably, the BBC has reverted to type with the channel. It’s full of cliched programming which simply adds to the nationalist view that the BBC sees Scotland as an insular, thick, working class Greater Glasgow. So many programmes about hairdressers, beauticians and Irish dancers. It’s mind numbing. BBC Scotland doesn’t need a huge budget. It just needs to tweak things at the sides and nail the audience. Give us more sport programming (they’re slowly understanding this), address some of the flaws in the news programming and focus heavily on the formats that work. Comedy, drama and lifestyle (like Scotland’s home of the year). Ditch the filler stuff and double down on the successes. They also need to address the awful info screen thing with endless highlights loops.

Not sure the BBC have reverted to type. Probably just mindful that commissioning mainly comedy and drama is unsustainable in the long run.

The hairdressers et al deserved a chance. Now that they have, other subjects can be explored, but I'd hate these to focus on one particular class group or be lazy spin-offs of Home of the Year, for example, gardens. Sadly, that's what BBC Scotland are looking for going by their site. https://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/scotland/commissioning/popular-factual-and-formats/

Re. "thick, working class Glasgow", surely that's what has made Scot Squad and Two Doors Down successful?

Newer posts