Television News | “Trustworthiness & Reliability”

(August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
There you go! Sky News wins.

WH
what
I’m honestly not surprised the BBC’s taken a hit in this. Anti-BBC and anti-licence fee rhetoric seems to have been growing even more than usual during lockdown.
MA
Markymark
I'm not sure looking at that table that any broadcaster is broadly better or worse than any other ?
I take that as being 'A Good Thing' ?
WH
what
I'm not sure looking at that table that any broadcaster is broadly better or worse than any other ?

Or it could be that they’re all as bad as each other?
MA
Markymark
what posted:

Or it could be that they’re all as bad as each other?

Half Empty, Half Full ?

Clearly a gap in the market for a new set of 'Top Trump' cards !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Trumps-Card-Games-Play-Discover-Top-Trump-Largest-Range-Latest-Editions-/332640757015?var=
CM
cmthwtv
what posted:
I’m honestly not surprised the BBC’s taken a hit in this. Anti-BBC and anti-licence fee rhetoric seems to have been growing even more than usual during lockdown.

I am not sure whether it has actually grown in the real world.

Twitter seems to be the BBC battle ground. Recently you have the "#DefundTheBBC" campaign - which (I think) kicked off quite intensely after the Maitlis "bias" judgement. I have to admit - this campaign seems to involve people from the twitter right than the twitter left.

In reality, if people were asked "would you rather spend £12 on a TV licence or not spend £12 on a TV licence" I think that most people would rather not spend £12.

But - when you think of the BBC - what do you think of?

My first thought (being a news and politics obsessive) is the news department. But you
have to remember that the BBC stretches far and wide.

- Radio 1/1Xtra/2/3/4/4Extra/5/5Extra/6/Radio Scotland/all local radio services
- World Service/Asian Network
- BBC News Channel/BBC World News
- BBC programming (from Children in Need to EastEnders - all in a sense apart of British life)
- CBeebies (a free childcare service)

I think the "Defund the BBC" brigade on twitter only see the news department. And dare I suggest that most of the people who call the BBC bias regularly (I am aware that they make mistakes quite frequently however I wouldn't say that they are institutionally bias) dislike views and facts that do not coincide with there's.

It's the whole scum media thing. Kicked off by the Cummings drama. "How dare the media report on a rule-maker breaking the rules!"

It's silly. The twitter stuff is silly.
MA
Markymark

Real people in real life are pretty ambivalent about the BBC, I don't sense any great passion in either direction. They really have far more pressing things to worry about at present.
As far as TV news goes, they will consume and watch whatever they are familiar and comfortable with, just like their choice of supermarket, pub, or brand of dog food.
NL
Ne1L C

Real people in real life are pretty ambivalent about the BBC, I don't sense any great passion in either direction. They really have far more pressing things to worry about at present.
As far as TV news goes, they will consume and watch whatever they are familiar and comfortable with, just like their choice of supermarket, pub, or brand of dog food.

I think its sickening that after all the hard work that BBC News has done over the last few months at keeping us up to date with the current situation that some brain-dead f-wits are demanding that it be defunded because of what exactly?

I agree that Emily Maitlis went overboard wth her comments about Dominic Cummings but that doesn't give anyone the right to scream and holler about bias in the Beeb.

There is a far more important situation in this country right now yet the twitterati (or I call them the tw*tterati or more simply the tw*ts) are more concerned with their own selfish drives.

The BBC is one of the finest things about this country. Yes it has it quirks and faults but we could have a hell of a lot worse.
CA
Cando
Kay would never mislead or attention seek Wink
NL
Ne1L C
I have to admit that this whole "wokeness" issue is p*ssing me off. I've said this before on another thread but to me a news bulletin should be that, facts, research and information NOT and I'll repeat that NOT 30 minutes of whinging and whining about issues which 98% of the population don't give a toss about.

All I will say about Channel 5 News is this joke from Frankie Boyle on Mock The Week

Quote:
Welcome to Channel 5 News Thickos

To refer to an earlier quote from Markymark. It's simply a queston of what feels comfortable. I shop at Tesco, I read the Daily Mirror, I watch BBC News. They're My choices. I'm happy with those choices and anyone who feels justified in attacking me over my choices can stick it up their rear ends!
Last edited by Ne1L C on 14 August 2020 3:32pm - 2 times in total
JW
JamesWorldNews

I think its sickening that after all the hard work that BBC News has done over the last few months at keeping us up to date with the current situation that some brain-dead f-wits are demanding that it be defunded because of what exactly?.

Come on over and de-stress . Bertola or Croft Original?
NL
Ne1L C
Make mine a Carling Very Happy

Newer posts