The Newsroom

Best and Worst Regional Titles and Themes

Pre Corporate Era (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Did they keep that theme until the next generic look came around a couple of years later?

Of the generic ITV titles that is still probably the best, though the current look is pretty decent. Also thought it was much more interesting having regions take their own interpretation of the studio rather than use a generic look, and Channel's is one of the better efforts. Not too different to what Central did either.

I think those were dreadful title sequences in general. Those bevelled squares looking like something out of the 80s, and each regional sequence (apart from the Channel version) ending with a map of the whole UK rather than the specific region.

When you consider some of the quality the titles replaced:

RI
Richard
Did they keep that theme until the next generic look came around a couple of years later?

Of the generic ITV titles that is still probably the best, though the current look is pretty decent. Also thought it was much more interesting having regions take their own interpretation of the studio rather than use a generic look, and Channel's is one of the better efforts. Not too different to what Central did either.

Yes, for a while but then they changed it to a different theme which I hadn’t heard elsewhere. This survived the ITV takeover but then it has became the same as everywhere else in 2013.

I liked Channel’s ident at that time too - generic music, but the logo (which still included the Heart discontinued elsewhere) of a spinning globe with just the Channel Islands on it.

IMHO the current look is all slick and lovely but the name “ITV News Channel TV” is atrocious! Surely “ITV News Channel Report” would have been fine. It’s similar to what Granada do and they usually just call it “Granada Reports” without the “ITV News” prefix. I presume that the name is to try and avoid call it something which implies that it is the now-defunct “ITV News Channel” but it still sounds odd.
Last edited by Richard on 17 August 2020 12:46am
Anglialad, DE88 and Brekkie gave kudos
CH
chevron
I think those were dreadful title sequences in general. Those bevelled squares looking like something out of the 80s, and each regional sequence (apart from the Channel version) ending with a map of the whole UK rather than the specific region.

Completely agree and I recall thinking they looked rather naff even upon introduction. Having said that, they were still a HUGE improvement on the hideous titles used by Calendar at the time:

The present regional titles are possibly the best they've had.
:-(
A former member
Completely agree and I recall thinking they looked rather naff even upon introduction. Having said that, they were still a HUGE improvement on the hideous titles used by Calendar at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-cythxzHDU

They were brilliant!
AN
Andrew Founding member
Yes blantently someone said, “we’ve been a greeny bluey colour since the late 80s, let’s go mad and change it to red” - those titles and set were the worst they’d ever had, and it looked much better when it changed to blue with the corporate look. The music wasn’t a bad remix of the Calendar theme though.
:-(
A former member
You all have terrible taste Laughing
VM
VMPhil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-cythxzHDU

They were brilliant!

I quite like them too. I think we are the only two people in existence who do. I like the music the best, though.

Cue people accusing us of being the same Phil.
chevron and Rexogamer gave kudos
JT
jolly turnip
Everything about that clip is a classic, from the “Housekeeping money - how do you spend yours?” massive top story, to the awkward clunky banter comparing the female co-host to an old fireplace, on his first day on screen

I actually like his style. I thought her response was rather stilted and over rehearsed
JT
jolly turnip
I really loved the 2004 Channel Report titles. This was when they were still independent, but were taking ITV1 continuity most of the time and adopted the generic titles for their news. But they kept the music from their previous titles, which I think fits even better than the News at Ten derived theme that ITV plc regions used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzo2gjvtI2E

This was the start of Patrick Muirhead’s ill-fated tenure on the programme.

I liked the quirkiness of the “Time, Temp and Tide” check. Presumably it was a way to circumvent the news-sponsorship rules on what must’ve been a high-rating show.

I am pleased you linked to this and agree with your comments. One of the best themes for me. And works well with the corporate titles as you say
WH
Whataday Founding member
Here's the other theme Channel Report used in the late 00s.

The brass notes actually sound a bit like the ITV News theme I think.
MK
Mr Kite
Channel's version of the "four squares" titles was better than the official effort. The only difference was a change in music (retained from their previous look) and keeping the regional map at the end, rather than the British Isles. Two small differences that resulted in a huge improvement. I also think it supports the idea that the regionals, if they have to look the same, should at least have a theme tune distinct from the network news.

I also agree that ITV News Channel TV is a clunky name and the change from the well established Channel Report brand gained nothing positive; again, all in the name of corporate sameness. It was similar for the likes of London Tonight and Meridian Tonight also; which were both also long established titles.
CO
commseng
One that I thought even back in the day that was mindblowing, and not in a good way, was the South Today title sequence of around 1981, which had four rotating cubes or triangles with fairly random pictures with a brown background.
It looked as if someone had access to the latest digital gadget and wanted to use it to the max.
I cannot find it online anywhere, but a later slightly tamed down version, featuring the coastline is here at 25 seconds in to this montage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGieHjUuPVo

Newer posts