TV Home Forum

Lorraine

July 2020 onwards. (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not sure why he ditched the exec side to then do competitions on GMB (though there’s about 10 years in-between in which I’m not sure what he did, apart from voiceovers on stuff like The Big Reunion on ITV2).

I suspect he's probably at a point in his career where he can pick and choose which gigs he wants to do to a certain extent.

Quote:
Since CBBC you've done a lot of work behind the camera too. Which do you prefer?
In front - it's more fun. When you're in charge of programmes, you take your work home and worry - and I'm a born worrier. Whereas as a presenter you turn up, you do the work, and go home. There are different pressures but I think ultimately I prefer being in front of the camera.

http://www.thebroomcupboard.co.uk/page7.html
SW
Steve Williams
I suspect he's probably at a point in his career where he can pick and choose which gigs he wants to do to a certain extent.

Yeah, a few people have had executive jobs and then gone in front of the camera, Mike Scott for example had a long and successful career as a producer and executive at Granada before giving it up to go back to presenting with The Time The Place.

Andi also has his modelling agency which provides male models for magazines like Men's Health, which is seemingly a very successful company and he's done very well out of it, so as you say he probably doesn't desperately need the work.
Rexogamer, Jonwo and DE88 gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Richard Osman is a good example of an exec who ended up on camera
Rexogamer, DeMarkay and DE88 gave kudos
DE
DE88
I haven't seen Andi presenting on TV since his broom cupboard and L&K days.

<pedant>

He presented Ejector Seat in 2014.

Seemingly no-one outside of the game show world remembers this one, even though it aired comparatively recently and had a gimmick that, arguably, was almost as noticeable as Tipping Point's machine:

</pedant>
JW
JamesWorldNews
DE88 posted:
I haven't seen Andi presenting on TV since his broom cupboard and L&K days.

<pedant>

He presented Ejector Seat in 2014.

Seemingly no-one outside of the game show world remembers this one, even though it aired comparatively recently and had a gimmick that, arguably, was almost as noticeable as Tipping Point's machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C69403kwWUY

</pedant>

<pedant pedant>

The point I was making (badly, obvs) was that I personally haven’t seen him on tv.

< pedant pedant >

Andi is also one of the voices of Emirates Airline. He provides a v/o to the main Welcome Onboard video which is always played immediately after take-off, explaining the service and entertainment features on every flight.
SW
Steve Williams
Flux posted:
If they ever did an L&K union I expect most people would want to see Jamie and Zoe front it. They were at the helm during the golden years really, even though Emma and Andi were the originals.

But 30 years?! Shocked

When they did It Started With Swap Shop back in 2006, they concentrated on the Andi and Emma era of Live and Kicking, and only mentioned Zoe and Jamie in passing, which seemed a bit strange because, as you say, Zoe and Jamie were a very popular pairing at the time and seemed to have much wider appeal to adults. The Andi and Emma bit wasn't very interesting and I'm not sure anyone had especially fond memories of them, but It Started With Swap Shop was longer ago now than their era of Live and Kicking was when they made it.

I think if you count the Andi and Emma and Zoe and Jamie eras of Live and Kicking as two separate shows, it seems to alternate in that Swap Shop, Going Live and Zoe and Jamie Live and Kicking were shows that are really fondly remembered now, but Saturday SuperStore and Andi and Emma Live and Kicking were very popular at the time, but maybe haven't stood the test of time so much and were popular because of the high profile guests and the fact ITV was in a bit of a state or an acquired taste during much of their runs.

RDJ posted:
She’s a very underused presenter and had a great working relationship with Andi. She only really did L&K and Talking Telephone Numbers. There were rumours at the time that she would be the replacement for Fern on This Morning but that wasn’t to be.
Emma and Andi could work on Friday This Mornings from time to time saying that.

Would love to see Pip and Emma working together again, because the cookery slot on Going Live was always brilliant fun, they were a great pairing and I always looked forward to it. Andi and Emma worked together again on a series for LWT circa 1997, not that I ever saw it.

What possibly didn't help Emma was what happened a decade or so ago when she was on Heart FM and doing very well for them, before abruptly departing to go to Capital, only to then abruptly leave them within a few months when she was passed over for the breakfast show. Two high profile depatures within a year don't really help endear yourself within the industry.

Andi’s had such a unusual career. He was being tipped once as a future BBC DG. As a C4 exec he came up with the successful T4 strand, and then valiantly tried to revive TOTP, which was already a basket case before he took over. Not sure why he ditched the exec side to then do competitions on GMB (though there’s about 10 years in-between in which I’m not sure what he did, apart from voiceovers on stuff like The Big Reunion on ITV2).

Yeah, he did have a strange career, he was clearly very ambitious because he was producing and directing shows at the Beeb like The O Zone while still presenting Live and Kicking. Obviously he then moved to LWT and The Noise was a bit of a flop, but he stayed there for a few years and produced some high profile shows like An Audience With The Spice Girls. You'd have to say his spell at C4 was the most successful behind the scenes, in that T4 was a genuine success and a really important brand for them for many years, and given so many of the shows were imports and repeats it's testament to his skill in creating a brand out of so many disparate elements.

As you say, it didn't work especially well back at the Beeb and Pops was already in terminal decline. It's not fair to blame him entirely for the show's axing, the unsympathetic scheduling didn't help, and while there were many things wrong with that era, it felt more like a spectacle than it had done for many years and it tried hard to make every episode feel like an event. While he was at the Beeb he also launched a T4-esque strand on late night BBC3 called Destination Three, which didn't last very long - and it was never really going to catch on around midnight on BBC3 - but even that gave some valuable early exposure to the likes of Anita Rani and Rufus Hound. He's a really good talent spotter, certainly, loads of people who have gone on to very successful careers probably owe him quite a lot.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Andi is also one of the voices of Emirates Airline. He provides a v/o to the main Welcome Onboard video which is always played immediately after take-off, explaining the service and entertainment features on every flight.

Every time that comes on I think "Oh yeah, that's Andi Peters!" even though I'd seen it lots of times before.

Exactly the same happens with his bit in Toy Story.
DE88, TVMan and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
IT
IndigoTucker

Exactly the same happens with his bit in Toy Story.

"Hold it, there's a couple more bags coming from the terminal!"
JW
JamesWorldNews
Lol. Anyone tuning into this thread to read about Lorraine Kelly will probably think they’ve wandered into another world.........

Who started this?

The wonderful world of television enthusiasts!
TI
timbouk
I believe Andi Peters discovered Ben Shepherd and put him on TV for the first time.
JB
JasonB
I believe Andi Peters discovered Ben Shepherd and put him on TV for the first time.

Damn, I’ve been hanging round the wrong people.
MA
Meridian AM
Andi Peters seems to still be popular with Twitter contributors.
Someone wrote: 'This actor on @Lorraine plays Lorraine much better than that Scottish woman.' 🤣

Newer posts