The Newsroom

BBC News Presenter Count 1967-2020

Presented by Rolling News and mccanmat. With cmthwtv and News96. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JL
JamesLaverty1925
BBC Weekend News 2005

Saturday Late News/Sunday Late News at different time to 10pm:
(1) Darren Jordon - 33 programmes
(2) Jane Hill - 9 programmes
(3) Matthew Amroliwala - 4 programmes
(4) Fiona Bruce - 1 programme
(-) Natasha Kaplinsky - 1 programme
(-) Dermot Murnaghan - 1 programme
(-) Peter Sissons - 1 programme
(-) Sian Williams - 1 programme

Sunday Ten:
(1) Fiona Bruce - 18 programmes
(2) Darren Jordon - 15 programmes
(3) Jane Hill - 8 programmes
(4) Matthew Amroliwala - 4 programmes
(5) Huw Edwards - 1 programme
(-) Maxine Mawhinney - 1 programme

Interesting figures. There hasn't particularly been a Darren Jordon sort of figures presenter at weekends since him - although Clive or Reeta could come close to qualifying.

It seems to me that Matthew and Jane were the two most "senior" presenters on the news channel at the time as well - and got the most weekend/One cover shifts than others. Surprised by the one appearance by Sissons as well.

I was surprised by the Sissons appearance too. I get the feeling it was in his contract to do at least one late weekend bulletin a year as he also did one in 2004, 2006 and 2008. Not sure about 2007. He also did the early evening bulletin on Saturdays from when it started simulcasting on the NC in early 2008 up to his departure a year later. To be honest I was even more surprised by the Philip Hayton appearance in 2004.

I'd say these days the 'Darren Jordon figures' would be Clive, Mishal, Reeta and Kate as they're most prominent at weekends (certainly have been this year anyway).

It's even available on YT. Seems somebody in 2004 (despite it saying 2005 in the video) was just shocked as us 16 years on! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScTAo1yaFg

In the case of Peter Sissons, I believe from 2008 onwards, he had an agreement that if the Saturday early evening bulletin fell on his shift, he presented it instead of bringing someone else in. I think they still brought someone different in for the late bulletin on these occasions, but he may well have stayed for the late on a few occasions, as evidenced here.
RN
Rolling News
Was just about to do the 2009 weekend news count using figures from Genome but realised I don't have to as I did it a few weeks ago using BBC News Fix 😊
NE
News96
Now onto New Years Eve in the 1990's

1990-Andrew Harvey (Lunchtime and Evening) and Philip Hayton (Late)
1991/1992-Andrew Harvey
1993-Edward Stourton
1994-Huw Edwards (Lunchtime and Evening) and Peter Sissons (Late)
1995-Chris Lowe (Lunchtime and Evening) and Edward Stourton (Late)
1996-Paul Burden (Lunchtime and Evening) and Edward Stourton (Late)
1997-Nicholas Witchell
1998-Edward Stourton
1999-Various since the whole schedule came under the "2000 today" banner.
DE
DE88
Big Ed - as I like to call him, and not derogatorily - only presented BBC TV news bulletins for six years, yet got to present the final bulletin of the year on four occasions. Lucky him.

And here's Nicholas presenting the final bulletin of '97 (followed by the final Lottery draw of the year, as NYE '97 was a Wednesday).

RN
Rolling News
Now onto New Years Eve in the 1990's

1990-Andrew Harvey (Lunchtime and Evening) and Philip Hayton (Late)
1991/1992-Andrew Harvey
1993-Edward Stourton
1994-Huw Edwards (Lunchtime and Evening) and Peter Sissons (Late)
1995-Chris Lowe (Lunchtime and Evening) and Edward Stourton (Late)
1996-Paul Burden (Lunchtime and Evening) and Edward Stourton (Late)
1997-Nicholas Witchell
1998-Edward Stourton
1999-Various since the whole schedule came under the "2000 today" banner.

Is there any clips of Paul Burden reading the news? I never even heard of him before starting this, now I know he's anchored the Six as well as other bulletins, one of the main presenters on Business Breakfast, and he's Rachel Burden's father!
MC
mccanmat
BBC Weekend News 2007

Saturday Late News/Sunday Late News not at 10pm:
(1) Jane Hill - 13 programmes
(2) Moira Stuart - 10 programmes
(3) Matthew Amroliwala - 7 programmes
(4) Mishal Husain - 6 programmes
(5) Emily Maitlis - 5 programmes
(-) Simon McCoy - 5 programmes
(6) Ben Brown - 4 programmes
(-) Louise Minchin - 4 programmes
(7) Nicholas Owen - 3 programmes
(8 ) Huw Edwards - 1 programme
(-) Sophie Raworth - 1 programme

Sunday Ten:
(1) Mishal Husain - 27 programmes
(2) Fiona Bruce - 6 programmes
(3) Emily Maitlis - 5 programmes
(4) Sophie Raworth - 3 programmes
(5) Jane Hill - 1 programme
(-) Chris Lowe - 1 programme
(-) Louise Minchin - 1 programme
(-) Nicholas Owen - 1 programme

I'm unsure about Moira on Saturday nights. According to Genome, she made 10 appearances in the first 3 months of 2007 on Saturday nights but I'm almost certain her last appearances were in December 2006, with the official announcement that she had 'left' in March 2007.

I think Chris Lowe’s only post 1999 bbc one bulletin and his very last bbc one appearance? And that bulletin is on YouTube
RN
Rolling News
BBC Weekend News 2007

Sunday Ten:

I'm unsure about Moira on Saturday nights. According to Genome, she made 10 appearances in the first 3 months of 2007 on Saturday nights but I'm almost certain her last appearances were in December 2006, with the official announcement that she had 'left' in March 2007.

I think Chris Lowe’s only post 1999 bbc one bulletin and his very last bbc one appearance? And that bulletin is on YouTube

And I think the only time he ever done a late bulletin apart from Christmas Day in the early 90s?
NE
News96
And last but by no means least, New Years Day of the 1990's.

1990-Chris Lowe
1991-Laurie Mayer
1992-1994-Philip Hayton
1995-Huw Edwards (Lunchtime and Evening) and Peter Sissons (Late)
1996-Huw Edwards
1997-Edward Stourton
1998/1999-Peter Sissons

And that completes the Festive Season from 1970 onwards.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
1995 obviously a unique NYD bulletin, due to the news of Fred West killing himself that day. I’ve seen other years of the virtual era using normal evening backdrops on New Years Day, but 1995 has the dark blue backdrop instead. I’m guessing Peter was brought in as a senior anchor instead of Huw
AS
AlexS
1995 obviously a unique NYD bulletin, due to the news of Fred West killing himself that day. I’ve seen other years of the virtual era using normal evening backdrops on New Years Day, but 1995 has the dark blue backdrop instead. I’m guessing Peter was brought in as a senior anchor instead of Huw

Somehow I doubt it was known that Fred West was going to kill himself on new years day when the Radio Times went to print...
MC
mccanmat
BBC Weekend News 2007

Sunday Ten:

And I think the only time he ever done a late bulletin apart from Christmas Day in the early 90s?

I think Chris used to sometimes present the Saturday late news...
JW
JamesWorldNews
Notably, the entire 1990’s New Years Eve/Day presented by men! A whole decade of only men bringing us the final news from one year and the first news from the next year.

Quite incredible, in fact.

Newer posts