TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland - the launch

Split from BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD

ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
Leaky roof or not, isn't the atrium 'studio' at Pacific Quay an expensive vanity project that can be dispensed with in the same way as mothballing NBH Studio B?
GE
thegeek Founding member London London
Leaky roof or not, isn't the atrium 'studio' at Pacific Quay an expensive vanity project that can be dispensed with in the same way as mothballing NBH Studio B?

There's no denying the channel is expensive, but is the atrium studio? I'd have thought that most of its resources are shared with Studio C. It's some soft furnishings a big telly, and some LED banners. I doubt they've bought new cameras or lighting for it.
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Isn't the issue with Studio B that it requires more staff than C and E because it hasn't go the robot cameras etc? The PQ Atrium doesn't have that cost saving over Studio C.
Write that down in your copybook now.
BB
BBCME Founding member Central Reporting Scotland
The Nine is the best BBC News show there is. Well produced, well presented, looks great.

Totally agree. It's just on at the wrong time.
GE
BBCME posted:
The Nine is the best BBC News show there is. Well produced, well presented, looks great.

Totally agree. It's just on at the wrong time.

I think it would be a bit daft to have a programme called The Nine on at any other time Smile
TE
tellyblues North Reporting Scotland
I see the reasoning behind The Nine - its on at a time when other news isn't - but nobody seems to want to watch it. That said, it benefits BBC Scotland most in that timeslot, viewers or no viewers.

7 is too early; put it on at 8 and you take up a slot where something like Home of the Year does well in because it faces less competition than at 9; 10 would make no sense as people could watch the main BBC or ITV news.

If Still Game or River City were moved then their impact would be severely dented, making overall viewing figures more disappointing than they are already.
SW
Steve Williams
I see the reasoning behind The Nine - its on at a time when other news isn't - but nobody seems to want to watch it. That said, it benefits BBC Scotland most in that timeslot, viewers or no viewers.

7 is too early; put it on at 8 and you take up a slot where something like Home of the Year does well in because it faces less competition than at 9; 10 would make no sense as people could watch the main BBC or ITV news.

The controller explained that was the case when they launched the channel - they decided to go for nine because it was such a competitive slot on all channels, so doing anything else there seemed a bit of a waste of a programme.
GO
gottago London London

The controller explained that was the case when they launched the channel - they decided to go for nine because it was such a competitive slot on all channels, so doing anything else there seemed a bit of a waste of a programme.

It's not a great strategy though. It's a competitive slot but that's because people want to watch anything but news at 9. BBC One of course took advantage of News at 10 shifting to move their news away from 9, S4C have just moved their news from 9 to 7:30. No one watches The Nine, it averaged 22k last year. Going through the last six or so weeks of BARB figures and it appears in the top 15 once. That's a hell of an expensive programme to make for so few viewers. I'm certain they'd be able to attract more viewers with literally any other genre of programme at 9.

There was a Broadcast article in 2019 where several indie bosses were complaining that BBC Scotland completely loses the momentum gained from 7pm till 9pm when The Nine comes on which is true. The news chief responded saying it was staying put.
TE

It's not a great strategy though. It's a competitive slot but that's because people want to watch anything but news at 9. BBC One of course took advantage of News at 10 shifting to move their news away from 9, S4C have just moved their news from 9 to 7:30. No one watches The Nine, it averaged 22k last year. Going through the last six or so weeks of BARB figures and it appears in the top 15 once. That's a hell of an expensive programme to make for so few viewers. I'm certain they'd be able to attract more viewers with literally any other genre of programme at 9.

There was a Broadcast article in 2019 where several indie bosses were complaining that BBC Scotland completely loses the momentum gained from 7pm till 9pm when The Nine comes on which is true. The news chief responded saying it was staying put.

Interesting that someone could think BBC Scotland had momentum, even last year!

Soon after launch, the schedule became clogged with repeats - many of them the new commissions - alongside first runs that similarly failed to connect with the audience. People have learned to pick and choose what they watch. It's not a channel they will sit through all night given the amount of repeats and the stature and quality of programming elsewhere.

Some later shows may rate better at 9pm but they should be gaining interest online and getting enough people to tune in live especially since they are youth-focused. This isn't happening, so either promotion isn't good enough or the shows themselves aren't.

If "Rewind" is anything to go by, it's no wonder that people would choose to desert BBC Scotland altogether. A truly dreadful programme.
GE
as I might have said (much) earlier in this thread, BBC Scotland has some good commissions, and has got good value out of some decent archive content, and the concept (and look and feel though maybe not the titles) of The Nine is good. But they're in the awkward situation of not having quite enough to justify a channel, while also having a bit too much to squeeze in to opt-outs on BBC One and Two. I'm not sure what the right answer is, to be honest.
KE
kernow
A few BBC Scotland programmes have appeared on BBC 2, such as Being Gail Porter and Inside Central Station.

There are other programmes which they could do the same with, so maybe we will start to see a bit more of this sort of thing
TE
A look at BARB figures for 27 Jul - 2 Aug, if Politics Scotland wasn't on at lunchtime the ratings would be even more embarrassing. Expect worse in weeks to come when Still Game and Rab C Nesbitt are off air.

Newer posts