Mass Media & Technology

Disney+ UK Launch Date Confirmed

(November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
So is the Fox network now effectively a publisher/broadcaster presumably it sold all
it’s production arms? Have they set up any new ones? Do we know how deals with things like Disney for The Simpsons work, do Fox have the US broadcast rights indefinitely or could after a time could Disney move it to one of their own operations?
RD
rdd Founding member
Not quite, because they are still producing sports in house. The Fox network doesn’t do news but Fox News Sunday, which is produced by sister company Fox News, also airs on the terrestrial network.
WH
what
Jon posted:
So is the Fox network now effectively a publisher/broadcaster presumably it sold all
it’s production arms? Have they set up any new ones? Do we know how deals with things like Disney for The Simpsons work, do Fox have the US broadcast rights indefinitely or could after a time could Disney move it to one of their own operations?

They’ve secured a deal to keep it first run on the Fox network. Disney now have syndication/distribution rights, hence why it’s been added to Disney+.
JO
Jon
What I guess I’m trying to ask is, was Fox being able to keep their current shows on the network a part of the deal? Or have they had negotiate rights to all of them?
WH
what
Jon posted:
What I guess I’m trying to ask is, was Fox being able to keep their current shows on the network a part of the deal? Or have they had negotiate rights to all of them?

It was as part of the deal.
JA
JAS84
rdd posted:
As something of a postscript to the discussion earlier in the thread, Disney’s now removing the Fox name from their remaining US TV production businesses, though FX still lives on for the moment with its obviously Fox inspired name and brand.

Edit: accordingly to this Variety article, the rebrand was indeed part of the terms of the merger, so presumably Disney cannot use the Fox brand in the US going forward

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney-rebrands-tv-studios-20th-television-abc-signature-touchstone-1234730574/

Odd that they revived the Touchstone name but the logo is just the name in the same font as the old fox21 logo. What was wrong with the old Touchstone logo?
ST
Stuart
According to logopedia, the '20th Television' name has been around since 1989.
TM
ToasterMan
According to logopedia, the '20th Television' name has been around since 1989.

Yep, it was established as the in-name-only syndication and distribution arm of 20th Century Fox Television, though it didn't receive it's first logo until 1991, and even then, it was print only. I remember seeing this on the back covers of The Simpsons Collection tapes released in the UK at that time:

Even so, it's proper logo wouldn't arrive until 1992, as the 1981-1992 20th Century Fox Television logo had been used during the early years of its existence, note this is the first time the iconic Fox tower was depicted in CGI animation.
Last edited by ToasterMan on 13 August 2020 5:29pm
JA
JAS84
I can confirm that, I still have those tapes. They have Fox Video and Twentieth Television logos on the back. The 1991 releases do have something similar to that logo, while the 1992 ones have the 20th Television logo that's based on the main 20th Century Fox one.

The Fox Video logo was actually an earlier CGI attempt at the tower. It's very clearly inferior though.
Rexogamer and ToasterMan gave kudos
TM
ToasterMan
To add to that, the early 20th Television print logo also appeared on production scripts for Season 3 of The Simpsons, including Kamp Krusty, (the last to be produced by Klasky Csupo and as part of Season 3, but was held back to Season 4, along with A Streetcar Named Marge), Season 4 scripts until Season 7 had the later print logo.

But despite 20th Century Fox Television being revived early into S7's writing in 1995, the print logo for the latter didn't appear on the scripts until Season 8 entered production in 1996.

One more thing: does Some Enchanted Evening have the 1965 fanfare on the TCFTV logo? I've heard it's the only Simpsons episode to do so, as a new fanfare, an edited version of the 1979 TCF fanfare, was introduced in November 1989, and was used until the beginning of Season 9.
Last edited by ToasterMan on 13 August 2020 5:21pm
paul_hadley and Rexogamer gave kudos
JO
Jon
JAS84 posted:
rdd posted:
As something of a postscript to the discussion earlier in the thread, Disney’s now removing the Fox name from their remaining US TV production businesses, though FX still lives on for the moment with its obviously Fox inspired name and brand.

Edit: accordingly to this Variety article, the rebrand was indeed part of the terms of the merger, so presumably Disney cannot use the Fox brand in the US going forward

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney-rebrands-tv-studios-20th-television-abc-signature-touchstone-1234730574/

Odd that they revived the Touchstone name but the logo is just the name in the same font as the old fox21 logo. What was wrong with the old Touchstone logo?

I would suggest the Touchstone logo hasn’t really aged well.

Also it’s not meant to be a revival of Touchstone brand, it’s a continuation of the Fox 21 Television Studios brand that now has to use a different name.
Last edited by Jon on 13 August 2020 7:25pm
JA
JAS84
They only had to drop the Fox part though. What would they have done if the Touchstone Pictures brand hadn't been axed? Left it as 21 Television Studios?

Newer posts