TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
The Conundrum appeared to have been computer generated for the first time.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Rachel referred to it being the "first digital conundrum".

Is that static high shot new, possibly in lieu of a jib? Just noticed that on the first round somebody had left some of the letter tiles on top of the board, perhaps not realising that that shot was in use?

The desk looks a bit strange with the extension at Susie's end, I wonder if using the flatter end piece they use for Cats does Countdown on Nick's end might have looked more symmetrical?

I guess they might have less choice of Dictionary Corner guest at the moment, they need people who are reasonably good at the game rather than just reading out the words that Susie has found as she can't feed the guest those words so easily at a distance.
Last edited by Steve in Pudsey on 10 August 2020 8:51pm
BR
Brekkie
It would look less odd to have just Susie in dictionary corner, but then that would leave them with a couple of minutes to fill instead of their mid-programme interval.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
It would look less odd to have just Susie in dictionary corner, but then that would leave them with a couple of minutes to fill instead of their mid-programme interval.

Years ago they "filled" 45 minute episodes (back when the specials or the grand final was 45 minutes and everything else was 30) by yacking:

(from 1994 and the 1500th episode, you'll notice the game doesn't start until about eight minutes in.

But this padding was fairly common in the Whiteley years once the show regularly expanded to 45 minutes, it seemed like they had all this spare time and they didn't know what to do with it.
They changed the round makeup not long after Nick Hewer took over and since they did that it now runs far better.
JL
JamesLaverty1925

Is that static high shot new, possibly in lieu of a jib? Just noticed that on the first round somebody had left some of the letter tiles on top of the board, perhaps not realising that that shot was in use?

The desk looks a bit strange with the extension at Susie's end, I wonder if using the flatter end piece they use for Cats does Countdown on Nick's end might have looked more symmetrical?

I guess they might have less choice of Dictionary Corner guest at the moment, they need people who are reasonably good at the game rather than just reading out the words that Susie has found as she can't feed the guest those words so easily at a distance.

Not so much less choice, but both Dr Phil Hammond and Paul Zenon have done double guest slots (ie 10 episodes/2 filimng days) to help fill the gap. We are also due the return of Richard Digance for the first time since 2009.
DE
DE88
The Conundrum appeared to have been computer generated for the first time.

And the letters were in Futura Condensed Bold instead of regular Futura Bold.

Wouldn't be surprised if these CGI conundrums turned out to be a permanent change. Obviously, while they were physical, time and effort were required in fitting the letters in the scramble and the solution, such that they were in the right order, weren't upside-down (though, inevitably, there were occasions when upside-down 'W's were used as 'M's and vice versa) and didn't fall off when they were turned over.

It'll be a bit of a shame all the same, however, as Countdown has used physical equipment for so, so long (it also used seven-segment displays for the contestants' scores and on CECIL right up until the beginning of 2013, at least a decade after these fell out of fashion). But I'd like to think the clock will continue lighting up, and Rachel will continue putting up tiles, for a long time yet. Wink
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
DE88 posted:
It'll be a bit of a shame all the same, however, as Countdown has used physical equipment for so, so long (it also used seven-segment displays for the contestants' scores and on CECIL right up until the beginning of 2013, at least a decade after these fell out of fashion). But I'd like to think the clock will continue lighting up, and Rachel will continue putting up tiles, for a long time yet. Wink

I believe the clock isn't the original clock they had for years, it was replaced around 2013, but it's still largely the same.
But yes, the French show, Des chiffres et des lettres, did away with the entire "I'll have a vowel" thing ages ago and now it looks incredibly futuristic looking. can't recall if they've ever had a whopping great clock as a centrepiece though.

I think its safe to assume considering they got shed loads of complaints when they changed the clock music in 1996 (to the point where they had to a) change it back, and b) retro-edit the completed episodes up to that point), they'll be more complaints if the clock and/or Rachel vanishes. There's evolution and there's revolution - and Countdowners like evolution. A new set/look you can get away with if you've had the old one for a while. A big clock that's been there for years that suddenly vanishes? Not so much.
NW
nwtv2003
The clock that was retired in around 2013 is on display at the entrance to MediaCity/The Studios building. As long as the building is open you can walk in and take a look at it.

ISTR Richard Whiteley joked about the manual conundrum on the programme, ‘It Shouldn’t Happen to a Gameshow Presenter’ saying that in the year 2000 they still require someone to pull a lever to reveal it. As said, I can’t see them going back to a manual conundrum now, it is probably easier to load that into a computer. The process you’d guess would probably be the same as the teatime teasers on the breaks.
AG
AxG
I wonder how Stephen will structure his show from Monday, I think he returns tomorrow from a new studio location, but I wonder where he will produce the show from?

It could be possible that the CBS Broadcast Centre in New York is open again and he might use John Oliver's studio if John prefers to broadcast from home. Remember CBS will give Stephen priority in their operated studio, than a HBO show using the studio which is the case with John Oliver.

CM
cmthwtv

"And now the Six O'clock news with Martyn Lewis and Anna Ford" Wink
AndrewPSSP, Ghost and DE88 gave kudos
"And now the Six O'clock news with Martyn Lewis and Anna Ford" Wink

BA
bilky asko
DE88 posted:
And the letters were in Futura Condensed Bold instead of regular Futura Bold.

The font used on the physical tiles isn't Futura Bold, it's Futura Condensed Extra Bold.

Looking at today's show, it looks as if it is that font, but resized horizontally to make the font narrower.

Newer posts