The Newsroom

Best and Worst Regional Titles and Themes

Pre Corporate Era (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
An example of North Tonight “ Summer Edition “. Judging by the ITV corporate logo and the presenters, this is early 90s. I don’t think the summer version lasted much longer than this. Hard to believe from the titles or the set there going to be any news, although they had the good grace to have the news from the “ news desk “.

https://youtu.be/i0szmbiSW5U

That used to be quite common. The nightly programmes were more regional magazine shows with some news rather than a full news bulletin that we're used to now.

Sourthern's Day by Day and Westward Diary are good examples, they had the news read from a seperate news desk while the main presenter did the more featurey stuff:

Last edited by Inspector Sands on 9 August 2020 8:46am - 2 times in total
NE
Newsroom

I liked that Newyddion managed to get Lerpwl on their titles. Okay, right next to a much larger Manceinion but beggars can't be choosers. It was more than the Six could manage, at the time.

I think the Newyddion opener managed to get in more locations than any other titles period. Great too how it progresses from local to national and then international.
Anglialad, DE88 and Mr Kite gave kudos
GM
Gary McEwan
Always thought this was a good one from Reporting Scotland during the 2017 Election when the program went half hourly after the 10 o'clock news.

MA
Markymark
An example of North Tonight “ Summer Edition “. Judging by the ITV corporate logo and the presenters, this is early 90s. I don’t think the summer version lasted much longer than this. Hard to believe from the titles or the set there going to be any news, although they had the good grace to have the news from the “ news desk “.

That used to be quite common. The nightly programmes were more regional magazine shows with some news rather than a full news bulletin that we're used to now.

Sourthern's Day by Day and Westward Diary are good examples, they had the news read from a seperate news desk while the main presenter did the more featurey stuff:

In the case of Day by Day, the news slot was also the point were there was an opt out for SE news, presented from Southampton's IVC studio?
DA
dazza1976

In the case of Day by Day, the news slot was also the point were there was an opt out for SE news, presented from Southampton's IVC studio?

Unless it was on a Friday (or in later years, on a Wednesday as well) as it would have been Scene South East / Scene Midweek from Dover with a (pre-recorded?) news summary from Southampton.
ST
Stuart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nLtB8yxZk

Blimey, the theme music to Westward Diary sounds as though it's straight from the "Potter's Wheel Interlude" from the 1950s Shocked

MA
Markymark

Unless it was on a Friday (or in later years, on a Wednesday as well) as it would have been Scene South East / Scene Midweek from Dover with a (pre-recorded?) news summary from Southampton.

Yes, I'm sure 'bluecortina' will clarify, but I think that was the case. There was often a pregnant pause when the news was introduced, to allow the split to occur.
MA
Markymark

Blimey, the theme music to Westward Diary sounds as though it's straight from the "Potter's Wheel Interlude" from the 1950s Shocked

Yes, and totally inappropriate as a background to, ' A woman dies as fire sweeps through a council house in Somerset'.

Not that similar crassness doesn't happen today
CI
cityprod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nLtB8yxZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUzGF401vLc

Actually, the track is called Ticker Tape, and it was recorded by Sidney Torch & His Orchestra.

CH
chevron
Fantastic thread!

I must admit to a soft spot for these Calendar titles complete with bizarre CGI shapes flying all over the place (4:56).

Spencer and South Today gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

Yes, and totally inappropriate as a background to, ' A woman dies as fire sweeps through a council house in Somerset'.

Although it still sounds a lot more appropriate than the theme tune ITN used at the time

If that's the case in my example above then the the newsreader gets introduced by Crispy so either there wasn't one or those in the South East got someone else turning up.

Incidently, something I hadn't noticed on that Day by Day clip first time I watched it was the odd choice of clip for the Carol Drinkwater headline... that's a very basic TV no-no
MA
Markymark

If that's the case in my example above then the the newsreader gets introduced by Crispy so either there wasn't one or those in the South East got someone else turning up.

Yes ! Although it might have been that the SE version was a pre record (see, nothing new with that idea !) with Peter Clark too ?

It's an interesting example, I don't think I've seen any regional programme that gives so many mentions and stories for Basingstoke Cool

Newer posts