TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain in 2020

Split from Good Morning Britain (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie

Before Piers arrived we had Kate and Susanna for a few months, if memory serves. They made a very good team. But of course Piers arrived and Kate was the fall guy as usual shoved out to Friday's with Ben.

That was always the plan, surely?

Why shouldn't Kate have got top job?

To put it simply because Kate and Susanna wouldn't create daily click-bait articles in the way Piers does.

Have to wonder if they'll go back to having a newsreader in September or just stick with having two hosts. Clearly made covering summer much easier for them.
BA
Barney99
My point is that in that period the Kate and Susanna partnership worked well, and they were equally as good in interviews etc in my opinion. Obviously someone decided Susanna would keep top role with Piers, while Kate went to presenting Friday's only, because that's what happened? Maybe Kate prefers that, I don't know.
AA
Aaron_2015
Piers had already been hired when they paired Kate with Susanna, and was due to start that September, at the same time Ben reduced his role to two days a week. However, Piers was starring in a National Lottery campaign at the time, so could not start at GMB until the campaign finished in November. As a result, Kate filled in until Piers started, it was only ever a temporary arrangement.

Have to wonder if they'll go back to having a newsreader in September or just stick with having two hosts. Clearly made covering summer much easier for them.

Although I think the program benefits from a third presenter, I do wonder whether the newsreader role has been dropped permanently. If that was the case, and with Kate back, Charlotte (and Ranvir and Sean to a lesser extent) are essentially out of a job.
:-(
A former member
Kate has been kept in constant employment with ITV Breakfast for many years. I’m sure she’s quite happy with her arrangement and grateful for their support.
UN
Universal_r

Although I think the program benefits from a third presenter, I do wonder whether the newsreader role has been dropped permanently. If that was the case, and with Kate back, Charlotte (and Ranvir and Sean to a lesser extent) are essentially out of a job.

If this is the case that means we will lose the 30 minutes at the start of the programme that was just the news reader, which would be a shame because I actually quite liked that bit even though we only had it for about 3 months. Hopefully the 2020 refresh comes back in September.
BroadcastWales, cal0906 and BBI45 gave kudos
BW
BroadcastWales

If this is the case that means we will lose the 30 minutes at the start of the programme that was just the news reader, which would be a shame because I actually quite liked that bit even though we only had it for about 3 months. Hopefully the 2020 refresh comes back in September.

It will be interesting to see if they bring back the titles introduced in January 2020 too. They were suddenly dropped at the start of the coronavirus pandemic.
UN
Universal_r

It will be interesting to see if they bring back the titles introduced in January 2020 too. They were suddenly dropped at the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

I believe they were dropped due to reduced staff so I assume they may be on furlough and since that’s finishing soon I assume they’ll come back soon. It would make sense for them to come back in September when piers and Susanna come back
BA
Bananas
My point is that in that period the Kate and Susanna partnership worked well, and they were equally as good in interviews etc in my opinion. Obviously someone decided Susanna would keep top role with Piers, while Kate went to presenting Friday's only, because that's what happened? Maybe Kate prefers that, I don't know.

Your point has been comprehensively debunked.
CM
cmthwtv

Susanna Reid says this frequently in interviews:

"GMB may not get the most viewers - however we get the most reaction."

Which I think is right. Alright - I'm aware that many people dislike Piers - but I find myself watching the programme and disagreeing with Piers. What does that make me do? Talk about it. On social media or at work.

With having a partnership like Kate and Susanna, you have a cushty version of BBC Breakfast with adverts whacked in it and a few more "famous faces". Kate is an entirely competent presenter and is one of the best in the business but in recent years GMB have always found it hard to work their way around Piers and Susanna's absences - the promos almost seem to come across as "yeah we are on at the moment but it's probably going to be better in September so join us then".
SL
Shaun Linden
Even with Susanna and Kate presenting together, the same with Ben and Kate, it still generates clickbait articles and discussions online. Piers takes it to a whole new level because you get his opinion and he drives his argument through whatever debate is taking place.
CW
CraigWills
Going back to the topic of summer presenters here’s who’s hosted over the previous six week summer holidays; back to 2017.

2017:
Kate Garraway: 17
Jeremy Kyle: 9
Richard Madeley: 7
Ranvir Singh: 7
Charlotte Hawkins: 5
Eamonn Holmes: 5
Ben Shepherd: 4
Piers Morgan: 3*
Susanna Reid: 3*
————-
Charlotte Hawkins: 16
Sean Fletcher: 10
Richard Gaisford: 2
No Newsreader: 2

*Piers and Susanna did the first week of the ‘summer’ so actually only had five weeks off.

2018:

Kate Garraway: 22
Ranvir Singh: 11
Charlotte Hawkins: 6
Ben Shepherd: 6
Eamonn Holmes: 5
Jeremy Kyle: 5
Adil Ray: 4
Sean Fletcher: 1
————-
Charlotte Hawkins: 12
Sean Fletcher: 12