TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
Asa Admin
There’s a bit of a drop for those back two contestants. Wouldn’t want to get too excited and sidestep left! Very Happy

In other news, The Late Late Show is back in the studio from Monday. Looks like they’ve switched a few of the set elements around.

London Lite and paul_hadley gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
Jimmy Fallon has led the way now in returning to studio for these talk shows.

I am no fan of Fallon, his comedy really stinks, but his production team did a great job at 30 Rock, getting the studio re-built, in fact Fallon never moved back into his normal studio, he moved production into Studio 6A, maybe it was easier for them than tearing down Studio 6B set and rebuilding, as 6A was vacant.

I wonder how long before Stephen Colbert returns to the Ed Sullivan Theater, Seth Meyers to Studio 8G in New York and Jimmy Kimmel at his studio in Los Angeles?
BR
Brekkie
Are they having guests in these studios? I don't really get why much would need to be rebuilt - the US shows usually have the hosts quite distant from their guests anyway, so moving a bit of furniture should be all thats required on the set at least, though they'd need to be modifications in how it is filmed and how the studio operates.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
It's going to be interesting in two or three years time when all these 2020 gameshow episodes get repeated out of sequence somewhere and the presentation goes from "people next to each other" to staggered, especially when we go full circle and return to the "normal" layout if these shows are still in production.

I can see the discussion on TV Forum now in 2024/25/26 - "<some future channel> has just shown some strange episodes of Tipping Point/The Chase/<whatever> made in 2020 where they're standing like they do on Pointless, far away from each other and not like they did on the previous episode. Does anybody know why?" Smile
MarkT76, DE88 and Octothorpe gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
God, I really hope come four years time it does look odd and not just normal.
JK
JKDerry
Are they having guests in these studios? I don't really get why much would need to be rebuilt - the US shows usually have the hosts quite distant from their guests anyway, so moving a bit of furniture should be all thats required on the set at least, though they'd need to be modifications in how it is filmed and how the studio operates.

Jimmy Fallon has no guests in studio, and all interviews have him at his desk and interviewing via internet/satellite with a split screen design. Interestingly in Ireland, their Late Late Show continued in studio during the height of the pandemic, and mixed it. International guests of course were interviewed by the host Ryan Tubridy via satellite/internet, along with some studio guests, sat spaced out in the studio. He especially had government ministers and health professionals back then of course being interviewed in studio. Maybe, this mixture could be the way forward for talk shows.
JK
JKDerry
I am keen to see how Stephen Colbert does, as his show is theatre based in the heart of broadway. The famous Ed Sullivan Theatre, where Letterman held reign from 1993 to 2015 and then Stephen took over.

It must be more difficult for Stephen returning to a theatre production, than for the usual basic studio format of a talk show? I don't know, but Stephen remains at his home.

One thing I did notice with Stephen though was the high production value he has on his show. When other hosts were doing shows from their mansions, Stephen had very good equipment brought in, and admitted there was a satellite truck on his lawn, when he was speaking with Conan O'Brien back in April.

Now people thought he was joking, but given how very high standard his shows are in terms of picture quality, he probably has a small satellite truck on his lawn, feeding the recording back to the CBS hub in New York, for editing and transmission.
JK
JKDerry
I just read that Colbert did say he was not going to be returning to the Ed Sullivan Theatre, but that "I also won't be sleeping where I work" - so this means he will use a small studio set up and the theatre will remain closed.

I do wonder where Colbert will broadcast from? The CBS Broadcast Center in New York could be the place, it had its own COVID-19 scare, and I wonder if they are now better planned to return there, as there is studio space available.
JO
Johnr
It's going to be interesting in two or three years time when all these 2020 gameshow episodes get repeated out of sequence somewhere and the presentation goes from "people next to each other" to staggered, especially when we go full circle and return to the "normal" layout if these shows are still in production.

I can see the discussion on TV Forum now in 2024/25/26 - "<some future channel> has just shown some strange episodes of Tipping Point/The Chase/<whatever> made in 2020 where they're standing like they do on Pointless, far away from each other and not like they did on the previous episode. Does anybody know why?" Smile

I can see the 'fix' on Tipping Point being Ben still stood at the podium during the final round rather than with the contestant which will look odd

It is instantly noticeable you're watching a really old Tipping Point repeat already however when there are no green or yellow tokens in the machine!
NJ
Johnr posted:
It is instantly noticeable you're watching a really old Tipping Point repeat already however when there are no green or yellow tokens in the machine!

The first series of Tipping Point didn't have any mystery prizes either, and the double thing was only added a few series later, so the colours thing is relatively recent. Anyway that's not the same thing, it's just evolution of the format.
JK
JKDerry
How many episodes of Tipping Point do the record in one day? They might be keen in getting as much new material in the can during these summer months.
NJ
How many episodes of Tipping Point do the record in one day? They might be keen in getting as much new material in the can during these summer months.

Four episodes a day, three days a week:
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tipping-point-behind-the-scenes-secrets_uk_5cb37c71e4b098b9a2d55351

Newer posts