The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HO
House
Helen Skelton went from Newsround > Blue Peter > BBC Sport and Five Live.
I’m pretty sure Jake Humphrey, who presented Sportsround, had a short sting on the main Newsround bulletin while someone (Ellie Crisell?) was on maternity leave. He of course moved onto BT Sport.
Lizzie Greenwood presented sports news for BBC News for a while.
JF
JF World News
House posted:
Helen Skelton went from Newsround > Blue Peter > BBC Sport and Five Live.
I’m pretty sure Jake Humphrey, who presented Sportsround, had a short sting on the main Newsround bulletin while someone (Ellie Crisell?) was on maternity leave. He of course moved onto BT Sport.
Lizzie Greenwood presented sports news for BBC News for a while.

Chris Rodgers remain's the youngest ever BBC Newsreader, if you count Newsround which he started reading aged 19 Newsround > Sky News > Channel 4 > ITV News > BBC News/BBC World News
CM
cmthwtv
Is it a case of how dare she not do rolling news? Or she’s had a different path to the main 6 and 10 bulletins unlike the others. She now does Question Time and therefore isn’t there to be prancing around doing whatever shift comes up. She does the 6 on a Monday, generally.

There has been confusion about who presents when/what, and I have noticed a pattern so far this year:

Monday 1: Ben / Sophie
Monday 5: Huw / Ben
Monday 6: Fiona
Monday 10: Huw

Tues 1: Jane
Tues 5: Huw / Ben
Tues 6: George / Sophie
Tues 10: Huw

Wed 1: Sophie / Jane / Reeta
Wed 5: Huw / Ben
Wed 6: George / Sophie
Wed 10: Huw

Thurs 1: Ben / Sophie
Thurs 5: Ben / Reeta
Thurs 6: George / Sophie
Thurs 10: Sophie / Reeta / Clive

Fri 1: Ben
Fri 5: Jane
Fri 6: Sophie
Fri 10: Clive / Reeta

Note Huw has not done a Thursday so far this year - possibly earning back time from all the extra hours over last few years or change in contract.

Over 100 pages ago, on 9 March 2020, I listed what the current presenting shift on BBC One and the Five tended to be. Since, things have changed quite a bit. This has been the general pattern since May:

Monday -
One: Simon
Six: Fiona
Ten: Huw

Tuesday -
One: Simon
Six: Sophie or George

Wednesday -
One: Simon or Jane

Thursday -
One: Jane
Ten: Sophie

Friday -
One: Jane
Six: Clive
Ten: Clive

16-19 shift - replacing the Five - has generally been fronted by Ben, Reeta or Martine.

A lot more consistent now - so surely TV Forum should be happy Wink
GH
Ghost
House posted:

He did present Newsround at one point, you can see him presenting at the end of this clip:

Last edited by Ghost on 8 August 2020 2:10pm
RN
Rolling News
Is it a case of how dare she not do rolling news? Or she’s had a different path to the main 6 and 10 bulletins unlike the others. She now does Question Time and therefore isn’t there to be prancing around doing whatever shift comes up. She does the 6 on a Monday, generally.

There has been confusion about who presents when/what, and I have noticed a pattern so far this year:

Monday 1: Ben / Sophie
Monday 5: Huw / Ben
Monday 6: Fiona
Monday 10: Huw

Tues 1: Jane
Tues 5: Huw / Ben
Tues 6: George / Sophie
Tues 10: Huw

Wed 1: Sophie / Jane / Reeta
Wed 5: Huw / Ben
Wed 6: George / Sophie
Wed 10: Huw

Thurs 1: Ben / Sophie
Thurs 5: Ben / Reeta
Thurs 6: George / Sophie
Thurs 10: Sophie / Reeta / Clive

Fri 1: Ben
Fri 5: Jane
Fri 6: Sophie
Fri 10: Clive / Reeta

Note Huw has not done a Thursday so far this year - possibly earning back time from all the extra hours over last few years or change in contract.

So simply put they have too many presenters all over the place.

Which propably won't be changing anytime soon even with budget cuts coming.

Little did we know what to expect on the 9th March!
NE
News96
Indeed Famous last words and an ongoing pandemic spring to mind!
JF
JF World News
Ghost posted:
House posted:

He did present Newsround at one point, you can see him presenting at the end of this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTtXcandIBk

Jake has also presented once on BBC News Channel, but more an interview
CM
cmthwtv
Huw has done an interview... for The Times... so if you have a month free of mortgage or rent payments you could buy a subscription and read it Rolling Eyes

BA
bilky asko
As it is still Saturday, you could save yourself some money and buy the physical newspaper. Or use the free trial if you've not already exhausted that as an option.

EDIT: You can also buy today's Kindle edition of The Times for 99p via Amazon.
Last edited by bilky asko on 8 August 2020 2:32pm
HO
House
Ghost posted:
House posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTtXcandIBk

Jake must be one the only Newsround presenters not to have a journalistic background? He was a very well established CBBC presenter by that point, but didn’t have any journalism qualifications and hadn’t worked in a journalistic role previously?
TR
trance
Huw has done an interview... for The Times... so if you have a month free of mortgage or rent payments you could buy a subscription and read it Rolling Eyes

A very detailed piece and will interest posters here on this topic. Huw talks at length, though not in specifics, about keeping his job at on the Ten and about possibly moving on. He also talks about volunteering a 20% pay cut and dealing with mental health.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
I enjoyed Huw's honesty in that magazine article! It's clear he felt some irritation towards Dimbleby for coming back again and again at the last moment to anchor election night coverage in 2015 and 2017. As for the 2019 election:
Quote:
“I didn’t believe it until I was in the chair, and even then I expected David to pop in from the wings.”

I interviewed the great man in 2010. He’d told me then he would be dragged “screaming and crying” from the anchor’s chair.

“Well, they did. They did.”

For the rest, buy a paper.

Newer posts