Mass Media & Technology

Disney+ UK Launch Date Confirmed

(November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PF
PFML84
I've a feeling they might not be:
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Goo_Goo_Gai_Pan

What in particular about that episode do you think will be cut?
NL
Ne1L C
I've a feeling they might not be:
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Goo_Goo_Gai_Pan

What in particular about that episode do you think will be cut?

I've a feeling I may have misread the title of the thread but to answer the question. If Hotstar transmitted to China then the section referring to the man being shot for criticising the Chinese Communist Party would certainly be cut out.
JO
Jon
I’m interested to know how you read the title of the thread?

Also if The Simpsons edited episodes so only content that was deemed suitable to the Chinese government was allowed there wouldn’t be much of the show left.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jon posted:

Also if The Simpsons edited episodes so only content that was deemed suitable to the Chinese government was allowed there wouldn’t be much of the show left.

"Hello we're The Simpsons, thank you, goodnight."
NL
Ne1L C
Jon posted:
I’m interested to know how you read the title of the thread?

It was the Mulan reference that got me confused. Admittedly not the title itself.
Jon posted:

"Hello we're The Simpsons, thank you, goodnight."

Or as they may say in downtown Beijing

咄!

(That's "Doh!" in chinese)
WH
whoiam989
I don't think Disney will launch any streaming service directly in China. I do think, however, that they may provide tonnes of library of Disney and Fox contents (plus Hulu and Disney+ originals) to existing third-party Chinese-run services, just like how Netflix is already doing in China (and there may be some censorships at the content distributor's end).

Fox Plus, the Fox Networks Group's streaming service, is already in operations in areas with Chinese populations: Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore, and I want to hear from those living in the region (especially, those who already have subscribed to the service) about how they are providing The Simpsons episode in question.
Jeffmister, Rexogamer and Ne1L C gave kudos
RE
Rexogamer
One wonders how long Fox Plus will stay distant from Disney+ considering the fact Disney seemingly has no problem combining it with other services (eg Hotstar). If it has much adult content I may say a reason for it to stay separate but I see no reason why their more family-friendly content couldn't move over. It's unavailable in the UK so I suspect more Fox stuff is coming to D+ in the future (if it hasn't already).
JA
JAS84
All they need to do is tweak the marketing slightly. Currently, it reads Disney+Pixar+Star Wars+Marvel+National Geographic , and if Simpsons is involved, +Simpsons added on the end. If any other Fox programming or movies get added, then they should abandon that optional +Simpsons and add +20th Century Studios (20th Century Fox's new name) to the adverts.
Last edited by JAS84 on 9 August 2020 2:08am
GO
gottago
They were planning to launch Hulu internationally from next year so it could be that it gets absorbed into that.

^ Actually turns out that just four days ago Disney said that the Hulu brand wouldn't be used internationally as it has no international recognition. It might be branded Star after their Indian network.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/4/21354712/disney-star-streaming-service-international-expansion-hulu-plus-abc-fx-fox

^ Ha! Just seen this has all been mentioned on the last page! Ignore me!
Last edited by gottago on 8 August 2020 8:10pm - 2 times in total
RD
rdd Founding member
As something of a postscript to the discussion earlier in the thread, Disney’s now removing the Fox name from their remaining US TV production businesses, though FX still lives on for the moment with its obviously Fox inspired name and brand.

Edit: accordingly to this Variety article, the rebrand was indeed part of the terms of the merger, so presumably Disney cannot use the Fox brand in the US going forward

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney-rebrands-tv-studios-20th-television-abc-signature-touchstone-1234730574/
Last edited by rdd on 11 August 2020 12:01am
JA
james-2001
I imagine it's so toxic that they don't want to anyway. Conjours up too many images of Fox News, Trump and Murdoch.
NW
nwtv2003
I imagine it's so toxic that they don't want to anyway. Conjours up too many images of Fox News, Trump and Murdoch.

I think that’s pretty much why 20th Century Fox is now 20th Century Studios. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out internationally considering that Fox and FX are used outside of the US and are owned by Disney.

Newer posts