The Gallery

ITV Rebrand 65th Anniversary

The network's whole new look after seven years of the handwritten style. (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RF
rfr1
Sometimes, there isn't much more to say than "I don't like it".

As a standalone logo, the ITV logo you've made is perfectly nice - it just isn't suited for ITV. It feels stuffy and unapproachable, especially when you have block capitals sat next to it in Times New Roman and it's sat in a sea of magnolia or teal.

The ITV channels are lively and entertaining - these logos and graphics don't represent that, in my opinion. It makes the channels seem classy and high-brow, sure, but in a BBC Two circa 1986 way.

I do, however, like the use of Avenir, so this may be something you could keep going forward.
BS
BiggieSMLZ
With all due respect, I'd suggest adding colors to the brands and have the font for them (besides the ITV logo you've created here) in Avenir so they stand out in their own right. Either way, it's early days and shows redemption potential, so you could read my BBC revamp to see all the revisions I went through to get the perfect idea that can be hiding in plain sight. Hopefully you could learn something from it... Wink

3/5
Rexogamer and Owen A gave kudos
LY
Lynetwork
I actually like the logo on its own - there's something I like about a quirky, modern serif font - and Avenir goes well with the presentation. The endboards look decent structurally and I see some potential in the concept overall. I can always admire when someone goes for a risk even if it doesn't necessarily pay off.

However, I have to concur with the other responses: the overall package just doesn't work for me in its current form.
• Times New Roman for the channel names simply does not work. Especially not for ITV where the atmosphere is more commercial and lowbrow. If you really want to go with worded numbers instead of numerals, that's fine, but the other channel logos need rethinking.
• The light tan stripe works with the main channel, but not with the others. I understand your idea of using 'programme colours' instead of channel colours, but there's a problematic caveat to that approach: using the same colour for every channel makes the other channels feel unremarkable, as if they were benign extensions of the original. There's a lot of opportunity with giving each channel personality with a different signature colour or even its own font for the number - CITV in particular could be taken in a really interesting direction - but instead it just feels lifeless.
• I appreciate the ambition of taking on an ITV rebrand with a more highbrow approach, but I feel like it leans too far into that, to the point where it's disconnected from the actual channel. There's potential to make ITV's branding feel more upscale and less commercial but there's got to be an understanding of what ITV is and how far you can stretch it.

My advice would be to take the elements that work (the logo, Avenir, the endboards) and find a medium ground between the current lowbrow ITV and the more highbrow one from this redesign. I think it's completely possible to do that and come out with something great, but it'll take a lot of trial and error. Either way I would love to see how this mock evolves.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Nancer was right to say ‘no... just no’ to this. I’d say the same thing honestly.

Yes, it does stand out, but it stands out for being very bland and quite dull. Branding also counts as marketing material and shapes the tone of the channel.

It doesn’t feel like ITV at all. Like other people has said, it looks like a broadsheet newspaper, or even a clothing line. I know you wanted this but the tone and entire brand does not suit a commercial entertainment broadcaster, and in some cases that is fine, but what we’re seeing here is just, again, really dull.

If I were you, I’d turn the entire idea upside down and start from scratch again.

1/5

I'm inclined to agree here I'm afraid
Rexogamer and Owen A gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
I actually like the logo on its own - there's something I like about a quirky, modern serif font - and Avenir goes well with the presentation. The endboards look decent structurally and I see some potential in the concept overall. I can always admire when someone goes for a risk even if it doesn't necessarily pay off.

However, I have to concur with the other responses: the overall package just doesn't work for me in its current form.
• Times New Roman for the channel names simply does not work. Especially not for ITV where the atmosphere is more commercial and lowbrow. If you really want to go with worded numbers instead of numerals, that's fine, but the other channel logos need rethinking.
• The light tan stripe works with the main channel, but not with the others. I understand your idea of using 'programme colours' instead of channel colours, but there's a problematic caveat to that approach: using the same colour for every channel makes the other channels feel unremarkable, as if they were benign extensions of the original. There's a lot of opportunity with giving each channel personality with a different signature colour or even its own font for the number - CITV in particular could be taken in a really interesting direction - but instead it just feels lifeless.
• I appreciate the ambition of taking on an ITV rebrand with a more highbrow approach, but I feel like it leans too far into that, to the point where it's disconnected from the actual channel. There's potential to make ITV's branding feel more upscale and less commercial but there's got to be an understanding of what ITV is and how far you can stretch it.

My advice would be to take the elements that work (the logo, Avenir, the endboards) and find a medium ground between the current lowbrow ITV and the more highbrow one from this redesign. I think it's completely possible to do that and come out with something great, but it'll take a lot of trial and error. Either way I would love to see how this mock evolves.

Completely agree.
Rexogamer and Lynetwork gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
The thing with Times New Roman is that it's far too regal and formal for the current ITV format. The only time I can imagine such a font being used would be for such events as Royal Weddings and State Openings of Parliament.
OA
Owen A
The thing with Times New Roman is that it's far too regal and formal for the current ITV format. The only time I can imagine such a font being used would be for such events as Royal Weddings and State Openings of Parliament.

I used this font once for the letter S in News, as mentioned previously
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

I used this font once for the letter S in News, as mentioned previously

But it's exactly the same with 'made sunflower'. Too regal and formal. Also they are very similar fonts
MP
Michael Power
it looks too highbrow in my opinion
Rexogamer and Ne1L C gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
it looks too highbrow in my opinion

If ITV was highbrow network then yes it would have been suitable but it isn't. If there was an specific highbrow channel a'la Sky Arts or BBC 4 then yes it would have worked but alas.
Rexogamer and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
LU
lukeshep
I do think that your logo looks nice. I also like the patterns on the endboards. The only problem for me is that it just looks old-fashioned, and I think it would probably only suit ITV3. I like the combination of Times New Roman and Avenir, however.

I’m giving it a 3/5 because I like the concept, but it just doesn’t work for ITV.
Rexogamer, Alfie Mulcahy and Owen A gave kudos

137 days later

BL
Blewbatt
Its a good idea, for a channel called ITV, but it isn't a good idea at all for ITV. Firstly, your work is technically good (though I must say the techical fault card is a bit packed), but its too highbrow and stuffy. It has nowt to do with the programming

Newer posts