The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
chinamug
Some of the shows that go out on CNN International are... shall we say... odd. There's no real journalism contained within them, they're basically PR pieces. They feel and look like advertising, you'd expect Commercial Presentation to pop up on them.
London Lite and Meridian AM gave kudos
HE
headliner101
Dave posted:
They keep doing this with these types of programmes. Are they sponsorship programmes they get paid to show?

I am bit puzzled. Nearly 15 years ago, it was BBC World that featured magazine programmes on a near-daily basis almost every half hour. Now the roles are somehow reversed.
MA
Meridian AM
It must be about money. Probably in the contract to show these programmes a certain amount of times at specific times.

It is annoying that there can't just be constant rolling news on a news channel.
Surely there is enough news happening around the world that they can mention, considering it is a global channel (the self-proclaimed 'world's news leader').

I wonder how many people actually make a point of tuning in to CNN to catch a golf programme versus live news...
GI
ginnyfan
Well at least this year CNN has been in rolling news mode most of the time, which at this point is not something to be thankful for.

What I can't stand is the dominance of CNN US and it's mediocre talent. CNN London still closed? Why? People all over the world are working in offices like they used to and somehow surviving. Rolling Eyes Wear a mask and get on with it. CNN is paying all of these people to sit home and pretend they are working. I know some do stuff but in reality it's not much and it's a big question for how long it can continue. Maybe Zucker has a plan to use this as a chance to get rid of most of CNNI employees. Would not surprise me at all....
NZ
nznewser
So major breaking news story, an explosion in Beirut, CNNI runs a breaking news ticker, but other than that very little coverage, not even their main story. Viewers have to turn to BBC or Al Jazeera for coverage of this event.

Can CNN really claim to be a "world news leader" at the moment? Do they even want to be a world news leader?

It's really sad to see, as they have all the people and resources to be able to cover this story very extensively if they wanted to. But for some reason they've made a decision to not cover it fully (as far as I've seen).
Last edited by nznewser on 4 August 2020 10:25pm
Meridian AM and Ghost gave kudos
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Domestic CNN is showing at the moment, as usual at this time of day. Interesting to see the CNN US ticker promote programming available on HBO Max, another part of the WarnerMedia empire.

MA
Meridian AM
So major breaking news story, an explosion in Beirut, CNNI runs a breaking news ticker, but other than that very little coverage, not even their main story. Viewers have to turn to BBC or Al Jazeera for coverage of this event.

Can CNN really claim to be a "world news leader" at the moment? Do they even want to be a world news leader?

It's really sad to see, as they have all the people and resources to be able to cover this story very extensively if they wanted to. But for some reason they've made a decision to not cover it fully (as far as I've seen).

Yes it is ridiculous.
There is a lot about CNN's handling of this event in the 'Beirut Explosion' thread on here.
BF
BFGArmy
Well at least this year CNN has been in rolling news mode most of the time, which at this point is not something to be thankful for.

What I can't stand is the dominance of CNN US and it's mediocre talent. CNN London still closed? Why? People all over the world are working in offices like they used to and somehow surviving. Rolling Eyes Wear a mask and get on with it. CNN is paying all of these people to sit home and pretend they are working. I know some do stuff but in reality it's not much and it's a big question for how long it can continue. Maybe Zucker has a plan to use this as a chance to get rid of most of CNNI employees. Would not surprise me at all....

I can understand to an extent CNN wanting to protect staff, not reopen studios.
However, even then though many of the CNNI staff could still do their usual slots - Becky is now back in her Abu Dhabi studio and Quest, Amanpour, Hala and Isa all have WFH set-ups so even if they maybe can’t do in studio surely they could do their usual shows as normal just at home.

I do find it slightly odd that apparently Studio 7 is all fine to use though - especially given how poorly Georgia & America is handling coronavirus
Jeffmister, ginnyfan and Meridian AM gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
The last hour of CNNi really shown just how dire Julia Chatterley is as a 'news' anchor. She was simply unwatchable during her 'First Move'. It should have been canned and the hour handled by someone with the expertise the story (Beirut) needs.

As soon as Connect with Beccy started, the tone changed entirely.
ginnyfan and Meridian AM gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
The last hour of CNNi really shown just how dire Julia Chatterley is as a 'news' anchor. She was simply unwatchable during her 'First Move'. It should have been canned and the hour handled by someone with the expertise the story (Beirut) needs.

As soon as Connect with Beccy started, the tone changed entirely.

They should have made Becky start earlier then, or made a news presenter do it.
Julia is a good business presenter but her background isn't in general news.
GI
ginnyfan
Has Julia missed a day since the whole COVID19 situation started? She's the only one that's been on air non stop which is strange since her show is certainly not necessary during this whole period.
BF
BFGArmy
Indeed I’m not sure ‘Winning Trades’ is who you want on rolling news of such a major story. She’s like Heslehurst - lively delivery and works well for business programming but not sure you want her on ‘hard news’.

Newer posts