Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Never mind thirty years into the future, Dame Christopher Peacock’s 1990 bouffant- whilst impressive- was already a throwback to thirty years before that.

It's still pretty impressive today! Smile
GO
gottago
RDJ posted:
nor are there 700 seater planes,

Technically you could have up to 868 passengers on an A380 so not totally incorrect!
TM
ToasterMan
This is probably the earliest known appearence of the Paintbox BBC Two 'stripe' slide design, used until the end of the 'TWO' era in 1991, albeit for BBC Two Wales in February 1989:
SO
Soupnzi
Always found it slightly odd why they went to the trouble of updating the year on those Two Ronnies compilations- ‘22 years’ etc. Not only did it give the programme a strangely numbered title, but they had already split at Xmas 1987 anyway.
NL
Ne1L C
Always found it slightly odd why they went to the trouble of updating the year on those Two Ronnies compilations- ‘22 years’ etc. Not only did it give the programme a strangely numbered title, but they had already split at Xmas 1987 anyway.

Agreed. The programme should have been called "The Best of The Two Ronnies". That way it wouldn't have been dated.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

"They" didn't split, Barker decided to retire. There is a difference.
And indeed, they would reunite off and on over the next 15 years or so anyway.

They were fortunate enough to have separate careers where they didn't "need" one another as it were. Barker had (amongst other things) Porridge and Open All hours, while Corbett had Sorry, a couple of gameshows and continued to work in various things for many years after Two Ronnies.
NL
Ne1L C

"They" didn't split, Barker decided to retire. There is a difference.
And indeed, they would reunite off and on over the next 15 years or so anyway.

They were fortunate enough to have separate careers where they didn't "need" one another as it were. Barker had (amongst other things) Porridge and Open All hours, while Corbett had Sorry, a couple of gameshows and continued to work in various things for many years after Two Ronnies.

Barker and Corbett never saw themselves as a double act. They kept their seperate careers whilst working together so when Barker did retire Corbett still worked which led him to star in Extras and and even work with Ben Elton (although I have to say I didn't find Sorry to be funny. Barker's solo career was much better IMO) unlike Ernie Wise who effectively faded away after Eric Morecambe's death in 1984.

Corbett wrote in "And Its Goodnight From Him" in 2007 that Barker was so ill when they made "The Two Ronnies Scrapbook" in 2005 that he (Barker) performed all his links for the six part series in 1 day as well as recording the christmas version in 1 day.

Oh and just for the record in the great debate over which was the better double act. I choose the the Ronnies.
IS
Inspector Sands
Blackadders Christmas Carol makes a reference to those two Ronnie's compilations in the future scene: “ I yearn to watch Twenty Thousand Years of The Two Ronnoids on the box”
VM
VMPhil
Blackadders Christmas Carol makes a reference to those two Ronnie's compilations in the future scene: “ I yearn to watch Twenty Thousand Years of The Two Ronnoids on the box”

It seems to have been a bit of a joke the number of Two Ronnies comps around that time. You quote Blackadder but I'm sure I've heard it referenced elsewhere too. Looking at Genome, there were programmes for the 20th, 21st and 22nd anniversaries, repeated numerous times in the late '80s, as well as the 25th anniversary in 1996 (though that was for the show itself rather than when their partnership started).
JA
james-2001
Even the old Meldrum Home Page website on BBC idents made a comment on it.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Barker and Corbett never saw themselves as a double act. They kept their seperate careers whilst working together so when Barker did retire Corbett still worked which led him to star in Extras and and even work with Ben Elton (although I have to say I didn't find Sorry to be funny. Barker's solo career was much better IMO) unlike Ernie Wise who effectively faded away after Eric Morecambe's death in 1984.

What I was going to write in my previous post was that Morecambe & Wise only really worked as the double act, which was something that The Two Ronnies didn't "suffer" from, as you say they were independent and could work away from each other if needs be. Ernie Wise had to reinvent his career after Eric Morecambe died, and that was through What's My Line and guest appearances on other shows like Countdown, theatre work and writing and various other "get what you can" gigs, including an appearance on Rainbow in 1989.

Quote:
Corbett wrote in "And Its Goodnight From Him" in 2007 that Barker was so ill when they made "The Two Ronnies Scrapbook" in 2005 that he (Barker) performed all his links for the six part series in 1 day as well as recording the christmas version in 1 day.

Yes that had to be cobbled together quickly and the Christmas special was recorded in July as Barker wasn't in the best of health at the time, but he was determined to get the Christmas special done, even if he didn't live to see it himself.

Quote:
Oh and just for the record in the great debate over which was the better double act. I choose the the Ronnies.

Your opinion to which you are entitled.
NL
Ne1L C

What I was going to write in my previous post was that Morecambe & Wise only really worked as the double act, which was something that The Two Ronnies didn't "suffer" from, as you say they were independent and could work away from each other if needs be. Ernie Wise had to reinvent his career after Eric Morecambe died, and that was through What's My Line and guest appearances on other shows like Countdown, theatre work and writing and various other "get what you can" gigs, including an appearance on Rainbow in 1989.

Quote:

Yes that had to be cobbled together quickly and the Christmas special was recorded in July as Barker wasn't in the best of health at the time, but he was determined to get the Christmas special done, even if he didn't live to see it himself.

Quote:

Your opinion to which you are entitled.

All of which just goes to show how being an "and" in a double act can be a double edged sword. I ask myself if the likes of Fry and Laurie and to a lesser extent Cannon and Ball have understood that and have also had seperate careers (*)

(*I refer in particular to Bobby Ball)

Newer posts