The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
AlexS
what posted:

Might want to tell that to people in Greater Manchester, East Lancashire, and West Yorkshire Wink

Yes I'm travelling to central London every day for work. It's like a Sunday morning there, every morning.
Doesn't feel like a return to a vibrant economy to me

Really? Because the retail parks, shops and restaurants near where I live have been packed recently.

Of course London is going to feel quieter than normal and in comparison to other places because those working from home will be visiting their local shops and restaurants rather than those close to work. To suggest that the experiences of an area that very much relies on people travelling into the area for other reasons will be representative of other areas that on the whole do not is simply illogical.
RN
Rolling News
I'm going to keep my mouth shut until September, but if the current format in the evenings and during the day doesn't see the slightest of adjustment by then I will be a bit suprised.

I definitely think the presenter of the 4-7 slot could stay on an extra hour so viewers can get more U.K. focused stories and then start World simulcasting at 8pm (if they must).
BB
bbc247
I'm going to keep my mouth shut until September, but if the current format in the evenings and during the day doesn't see the slightest of adjustment by then I will be a bit suprised.

I definitely think the presenter of the 4-7 slot could stay on an extra hour so viewers can get more U.K. focused stories and then start World simulcasting at 8pm (if they must).

I find it bit odd that on weekends they start simulcasting at 9pm but on weekdays it's 2 hours earlier at 7pm.
CA
Cardiffian

If no kind of Beyond 100 Days type program will be returning for the 7 - 8pm hour, there's a good argument to bring back a 7 - 10pm NC only evening shift, with the simulcast starting at 10:30pm after the Ten.
The NC are basically just writing off evenings now by showing 1.5 hours of Outside Source with a half hour filler show at 8:30pm.
MA
Markymark
Jon posted:
what posted:

Yes I'm travelling to central London every day for work. It's like a Sunday morning there, every morning.
Doesn't feel like a return to a vibrant economy to me

Really? Because the retail parks, shops and restaurants near where I live have been packed recently.

Makes sense to me. I guess your retail parks aren’t largely reliant on international tourism.

People have been saying the city centres are dead, whilst the smaller towns won’t be as hard hit.

I can’t see why many people would be travelling into Central London.

I'd prefer not to be. The point I'm making is you can't necessarily assess whether the economy is bouncing back from conditions in any single place.

In the area where I live, all my local pubs are shut before 5pm on a Sunday, and 9pm weekdays (10pm Friday/Sat). One local pub only reopened this week. This is a 80k population town less than an hour from London.
JF
JF World News

I hope they keep 7pm bulletin from world on both/or BBC News / BBC Four always watched that hour of World News Today or Beyond 100 Days. BBC Four has always had an international half hour of news since 2002, through BBC Four News/The World/World News Today etc
Last edited by JF World News on 3 August 2020 3:49pm
Custard56 and Rolling News gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
They can have that just axe outside source and give it back to the news channel so it can serve its audiences better.
PA
Parker
They can have that just axe outside source and give it back to the news channel so it can serve its audiences better.

I am sure BBC weather will be happy to recover their patch, they were very huffy when they had to share Laughing
JF
JF World News

No that won't happen OS was launched in the UK as part of cost savings in 2015, in the coming climate with more cuts coming it won't be axed. I expect the News Channel will only run 9am-7pm weekdays, Beyond 100 Days 7pm, Outside Source 8pm, The Nine 9pm (from BBC Scottland) would be my idea.
CM
cmthwtv
Are weather confined to just a green screen studio now - considering they aren't allowed in the studio to use the plasma and it seems the balcony is never used these days?
DH
DH33
Are weather confined to just a green screen studio now - considering they aren't allowed in the studio to use the plasma and it seems the balcony is never used these days?

I miss the interaction in the afternoon between Simon and the weather presenter on shift.
Parker, Brynt and Matthew_Fieldhouse gave kudos
NE
News96

No that won't happen OS was launched in the UK as part of cost savings in 2015, in the coming climate with more cuts coming it won't be axed. I expect the News Channel will only run 9am-7pm weekdays, Beyond 100 Days 7pm, Outside Source 8pm, The Nine 9pm (from BBC Scottland) would be my idea.

Well IF Victoria Derbyshire's progamme which was introduced because of cost cutting can then be axed 5 years later for the same reason, i'm sure Outside Source will be as well at some point

Newer posts