The Newsroom

BBC News Presenter Count 1967-2020

Presented by Rolling News and mccanmat. With cmthwtv and News96. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for sharing the data. But what the 2020 figures/names show is that the presenter pool on BBC News/World News is actually quite vast! That's a long list of names up there.

As someone else pointed out, that's also not the conclusive list, as some presenters (mainly from World News and the simulcast overnights, etc) have not been listed.

By the time you add those, BBC News/World News has a rather vast presenter pool. Considering that all programmes are single-headed (apart from Breakfast), it would be interesting to compare the BBC list with a comparable operation (Sky News, for example), which also provides a 24 hour news service of also mainly single-headed bulletins).

(Yes, I know that the BBC effectively has three news operations ongoing at the same time (Network, Channel and World), but that hasn't been the case in the first half of 2020, with a lot more combined output).

But looks like a long list of names.
RN
Rolling News
BBC Weekend News 2003

Saturday Late News/Sunday Late News at a different time from 10pm:
(1) Darren Jordon - 29 programmes
(2) Jane Hill - 8 programmes
(3) Matthew Amroliwala - 6 programmes
(4) Jon Sopel - 4 programmes
(5) Maxine Mawhinney - 3 programmes
(6) Huw Edwards - 2 programmes (Christmas period)
(-) Peter Sissons - 2 programmes
(7) Fiona Bruce - 1 programme
(-) Sian Williams - 1 programme

Sunday Ten:
(1) Fiona Bruce - 18 programmes
(2) Darren Jordon - 15 programmes
(3) Jane Hill - 7 programmes
(4) Matthew Amroliwala - 3 programmes
(5) Maxine Mawhinney - 1 programme
(-) Dermot Murnaghan - 1 programme
(-) Jon Sopel - 1 programme
(-) Sian Williams - 1 programme
MC
mccanmat
Was surprised to see Sarah Montague’s name for a few weekend national bulletins!
RN
Rolling News
Was surprised to see Sarah Montague’s name for a few weekend national bulletins!

2 mins 27 secs in:

JW
JamesWorldNews
Love the way she just tosses the script in the bin at the end. No paper shuffle from Sarah!

And that closing graphic reminding us to switch over to News 24 for more on the election..........
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I recall that Sarah Montague presented the BBC1 bulletins the weekend of the bomb at TVC in March 2001. I distinctly remember that she used the Breakfast set in TC7 as N6 would have been out of bounds. Similarly, N8 was off limits, so BBC World handled all rolling news proceedings in N9 for a few days with some News 24 presenters thrown in.

I think we discussed a few months ago how Sarah Montague had been in the initial line-up for Breakfast in October 2000 but didn't last very long. She was the Friday/weekend presenter along with Darren Jordon. Sarah's style is quite straightforward - I can see how that isn't to everyone's taste and she probably wasn't the right choice for Breakfast, but I quite liked her on news bulletins. I wish she'd done more TV News rather than ending up mostly on radio.
WO
Worzel
I recall that Sarah Montague presented the BBC1 bulletins the weekend of the bomb at TVC in March 2001. I distinctly remember that she used the Breakfast set in TC7 as N6 would have been out of bounds. Similarly, N8 was off limits, so BBC World handled all rolling news proceedings in N9 for a few days with some News 24 presenters thrown in.

I think we discussed a few months ago how Sarah Montague had been in the initial line-up for Breakfast in October 2000 but didn't last very long. She was the Friday/weekend presenter along with Darren Jordon. Sarah's style is quite straightforward - I can see how that isn't to everyone's taste and she probably wasn't the right choice for Breakfast, but I quite liked her on news bulletins. I wish she'd done more TV News rather than ending up mostly on radio.

Your memory is correct! Youtube is your friend. Presentation came from the Breakfast studio at Moira's desk, as shown at 6:28 in when Sarah throws to David Eades.

SW
Steve Williams
Your memory is correct! Youtube is your friend. Presentation came from the Breakfast studio at Moira's desk, as shown at 6:28 in when Sarah throws to David Eades.

Looks pretty good on screen, that set, I think. I remember the first I heard about the bomb was on the Sunday morning at the start of Breakfast with Frost, when David Frost began by saying "BBC Television Centre, the building we're broadcasting from, was bombed last night", and I went "bloody hell!" at the telly, probably for the first time since Diana's death.
NE
Newsroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAeh_tY1uC0

I've been looking for this clip for years! I'd seen it before but couldn't find despite hours of searching! THANK YOU! Very Happy
NE
Newsroom

I was a big fan of Sarah Montague, her stint on Network news didn't last long enough for my liking.

I'll never forget that weekend the BBC was bombed. Susan Osman (another fave) broadcasting from Westminster.
WO
Worzel

Looks pretty good on screen, that set, I think. I remember the first I heard about the bomb was on the Sunday morning at the start of Breakfast with Frost, when David Frost began by saying "BBC Television Centre, the building we're broadcasting from, was bombed last night", and I went "bloody hell!" at the telly, probably for the first time since Diana's death.

I remember it well. It was almost a week after I was at TV Centre myself as a contestant on the Sunday morning kids TV show, Subzero. I actually stood where the taxi exploded. Quite surreal, especially as I was only 13 at the time.
RN
Rolling News
Haven’t had time to do any further counts due to being back in work full time but I’ve been looking for any surprises and I never realised Philip Hayton did a weekend bulletin in 2004!

Newer posts