The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019

GE
thegeek Founding member London London
BBI45 posted:
As in where did it go once it was taken down.

Unless an enthusiast got their hands on them, then they probably went to the local tip.

Quote from Martin Kempton's TV Studio History website: "I gather they were due to be moved to Broadcasting House but the wind got hold of one of them and it smashed. Oops. Some might say the spirit of the building was fighting back."

They have form - one of them blew off in a storm sometime around 2010 - they then took the other two letters down until they had a full set again. Cue much internal speculation about whether there was going to be the three letters of another broadcaster up there instead.

Pretty much anything below head height was taken as souvenirs before the building closed, but some signage stuck about long enough to make it into the auctions - flip a few pages though the flysheet to see the kind of thing you could have bought.
Last edited by thegeek on 31 July 2020 9:14am
CM
cmthwtv West Country (East) Points West
Your Questions Answered on the One... Is this a first?
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today
Your Questions Answered on the One... Is this a first?

They did it at least one other day this week.
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today
The first Saturday night bulletin in months that the bulletin hasn’t started dead on 10pm, and they use the titles for the 10!
Brekkie and lesmauresfr gave kudos
NE
News96 Look North (Yorkshire)
Yep you couldn't make it up!
LE
lesmauresfr (previously nagolhcir) Meridian (South East) South East Today
The first Saturday night bulletin in months that the bulletin hasn’t started dead on 10pm, and they use the titles for the 10!

Love Kate’s outfit, not gonna lie.
FC
FrancesC

Saturday’s late news was started at 2210 on 27 June due to the FA Cup… When was the last time a Saturday bulletin uses a number branded titles? The Paris attack in 2015 (both 6 & 10)?
NE
News96 Look North (Yorkshire)

Saturday’s late news was started at 2210 on 27 June due to the FA Cup… When was the last time a Saturday bulletin uses a number branded titles? The Paris attack in 2015 (both 6 & 10)?

And the late news the week before (20th June) was at 10:20.
LE

As I mentioned a month or so ago on here, the Saturday late is still the BBC News at Ten/BBC Weekend News (just the same as Sunday) the only differences being the titles, as the Sat late is more often then not actually on the hour (except recently). The other main difference is of course they don’t hand to N + R at the end. Otherwise the programme is produced and presented by the same team as in the week and on Sunday.
FYI I read about this in a pdf file published quite recently (2019 I think) somewhere online. Worth trying to find if you’re interested.
FC
FrancesC

As I mentioned a month or so ago on here, the Saturday late is still the BBC News at Ten/BBC Weekend News (just the same as Sunday) the only differences being the titles, as the Sat late is more often then not actually on the hour (except recently). The other main difference is of course they don’t hand to N + R at the end. Otherwise the programme is produced and presented by the same team as in the week and on Sunday.
FYI I read about this in a pdf file published quite recently (2019 I think) somewhere online. Worth trying to find if you’re interested.

I know the weekend teatime and late bulletins are produced by the Six & Ten team, but I am curious about the presentational change.

On Saturday 14 Nov 2015, the day after the Paris attacks, both teatime and late news were respectively introduced as the Six and Ten, and Huw Edwards presented those bulletins in Paris.
LE

I know the weekend teatime and late bulletins are produced by the Six & Ten team, but I am curious about the presentational change.

On Saturday 14 Nov 2015, the day after the Paris attacks, both teatime and late news were respectively introduced as the Six and Ten, and Huw Edwards presented those bulletins in Paris.

Sorry I really should have written that as a post rather than a reply. 😂sorry!
CM
cmthwtv West Country (East) Points West

I understand your logic, but this simply isn't the case. Saturday late is produced by 6 and 10, however branded as "BBC Weekend News". Same with the lunchtime news, it's branded "BBC Weekend News". It's a different length, format, presenters and often time. I'm having an on-going dispute with somebody on wikipedia about this who seems to think that Saturday is branded "BBC News at Ten" - when it used (most of the time) generic titles, and on the EPG is labelled "BBC Weekend News".

Newer posts