The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AJ
AJ
I know we're getting into speculation territory, which can be exhausting, but does anyone know if we're potentially getting a new 'main studio' at the same time? I know the Glass Box is staying, but I'm wondering if the second Sky Central studio will be phased out. I'm starting to wonder if something is brewing as the Sky Central newsroom backdrop is increasingly being used and there seems to be a growing number of monitors in the background. It feels like there 'could' possibly be a new newsroom studio in the pipeline. I could be way off with that though!

There's only one studio in Sky Central - which is the glass box, and that sits in the middle of corporate office space, not a newsroom.

The newsroom itself is in Sky Studios, and is on a different floor to the studio which is used overnight etc. I expect both studios will remain, as the Sky Studios one is used when there are events in Sky Central (although there aren't many of those happening nowadays!) and when technical works need completing.
GL
globaltraffic24
Apologies. I meant Sky Studios (where the newsroom is). I’m sure in the original plans there was to be a small studio with a window into the newsroom but I can’t find that pic.
VA
valley
Apologies. I meant Sky Studios (where the newsroom is). I’m sure in the original plans there was to be a small studio with a window into the newsroom but I can’t find that pic.

There is Studio 22 next to the newsroom but that's only a basic DTL / weather / Pick pre-record studio with a big screen and two cameras (only one now, with the other now being used as the newsroom DTL camera).

There have been quite a lot of plans which have never come to fruition! Studio 6 was originally supposed to have a glass ceiling so you could look into the studio from the newsroom above, but then someone pointed out that there would be an entire lighting grid in the way - after it was built, I think! I was also told that originally the cafe on the first floor of Sky Studios was supposed to be News' flagship studio, but the weight of all the required equipment apparently would have exceeded the safe loading limit (it overhangs outside of the perimeter of the building). Hence the Glass Box being built when Central was designed.

Bare in mind that there are studios under construction on the third floor of the building for NBC Sky World News - if that didn't happen, there could be an opportunity there...
TM
TMD_24
Sky News have won a BAFTA award for it's coverage of the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. Very well deserved award for the team at Sky!
VA
valley
Sky News have won a BAFTA award for it's coverage of the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. Very well deserved award for the team at Sky!

Absolutely. And Mark Austin accepted the award - probably the highest quality remote acceptance speech seen tonight?

SO
Soupnzi
I’m really surprised they won to be honest. The Newsnight Prince Andrew interview is now legendary and continues to have an impact to this day. Lots of broadcasters covered the Hong Kong story.

But then there were some baffling choices all through this year’s ceremony.
VA
valley
I’m really surprised they won to be honest. The Newsnight Prince Andrew interview is now legendary and continues to have an impact to this day. Lots of broadcasters covered the Hong Kong story.

They were pretty much the only UK broadcaster to cover the protests to a significant extent over the entire period, with rolling live coverage rather than just occasional lives into bulletins.
SO
Soupnzi

They were pretty much the only UK broadcaster to cover the protests to a significant extent over the entire period, with rolling live coverage rather than just occasional lives into bulletins.

Good as Sky was- and many global broadcasters like CNN also covered the story to the same extent- people will still be talking about the Prince Andrew interview in 10 years time. But then the BAFTA panel is made up of ‘TV’ people rather than ‘news’ people.
MA
Meridian AM

Good as Sky was- and many global broadcasters like CNN also covered the story to the same extent- people will still be talking about the Prince Andrew interview in 10 years time. But then the BAFTA panel is made up of ‘TV’ people rather than ‘news’ people.

CNN's coverage of Hong Kong was very good. Presumably it helps them having one of their bases there.
DE
derek500

To be honest, I don't see how a pre-recorded interview would be classified as news coverage.
JO
Joe
The award is for news coverage, not most memorable news coverage.
SO
Soupnzi

To be honest, I don't see how a pre-recorded interview would be classified as news coverage.

So a lunchtime Look East bulletin has more reason to get nominated for a BAFTA than an agenda-setting interview that was pre-recorded?

Newer posts