The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards

IN
Independent World News
AlexS posted:

The bigger question is probably with regards to studio C as that is currently on air or ready to be on air with no notice from 13:00-10:00 on weekdays but would usually be off air between 12:00 and 17:00 and 20:00-22:00, although C has always been on air every hour from 17:00 on Friday until 12:00 Monday so is clearly designed for long periods of uninterrupted up time.

Don't forget Christmas break. It's used for at least 8 consecutive days with no breaks.
PE
PurpleEquinox Meridian (South) South Today
AlexS posted:
and if the BBC continues in the way that it is heading it will die with its current audience as there is nothing that makes my generation want to buy a TV licence.

I’m not sure if this has been pointed out to you, but if you own a television, you have to buy a TV license. It’s illegal not to. Even if you never turn it on, you still have to buy it. The reason that TV licenses are still are a massive income stream for the BBC is because of this. If you don’t want to pay for a TV license, don’t own a TV. So if the BBC goes as a result of no income from TV licenses, all the other channels go too as a result of nobody owning a TV. So people will still be buying TV licenses long into the future unless the BBC finds some other magical stream of income as big as that, which I’m sure is impossible.
Please don’t shout at me.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Not sure that’s quite true.
JO
Jon Recently warned Central (West) Midlands Today

It’s not at all true.

You can own as many TVs as you want, without being required to pay a TV licence. As long as you’re not watching live television channels or the BBC iPlayer on it.
PE
PurpleEquinox Meridian (South) South Today
Jon posted:

It’s not at all true.

You can own as many TVs as you want, without being required to pay a TV licence. As long as you’re not watching live television channels or the BBC iPlayer on it.

Oops! My apologies! My sources must have been incorrect. I should have fact-checked. The dangers of misinformation on the internet are high!
Please don’t shout at me.
FJ
FelixJBAuk Granada North West Today
Jon posted:

It’s not at all true.

Oops! My apologies! My sources must have been incorrect. I should have fact-checked. The dangers of misinformation on the internet are high!

Your sauces were probably burnt in the television that was pretending to be a microwave when the radar van turned up...

/nostalgic TV Licensing advert
SH
shaunma Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
If it helps I've just lifted this from the UK Government website: (TV Licensing own website is down)

"Overview
You must have a TV Licence if you:

watch or record programmes on a TV, computer or other device as they’re broadcast
download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand
A TV Licence costs £157.50 (£53 for black and white TV sets) for both homes and businesses.

What’s covered
A single TV Licence covers all of the following in a single property:

TV sets
computers
laptops
tablets
mobile phones
any other device that can receive a TV signal
You do not need a TV Licence to watch:

non-BBC programmes on online catch-up services
videos or DVDs
clips on websites like YouTube
closed circuit television (CCTV)"

I seem to recall the cover all clause "any other device that can receive a TV signal" being challenged through the courts back in the day.
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
Indeed, Shaunma. Many people are still confused. You can be sans TV set, but still require a TVL if you are watching (or recording) live TV broadcasts on a PC/Laptop or even a phone.
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
Indeed, Shaunma. Many people are still confused. You can be sans TV set, but still require a TVL if you are watching (or recording) live TV broadcasts on a PC/Laptop or even a phone.

As we've said before, it's all pretty much unenforceable now.

Bottom line, if you consume the BBC by whatever means, then morally you should go and buy a licence.

If you don't wish to continue funding them, don't buy a licence, but morally you shouldn't continue to consume their output
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight

Bottom line, if you consume the BBC by whatever means, then morally you should go and buy a licence

I completely agree, Markymark.

Furthermore, if I ever decided to try to avoid paying the TVL, my problem would be that I post captures on here and other websites - so I'd be in rather an indefensible position if 'Mr Capita' came knocking on my door. Cool
AN
another_beauty
The problem with the BBC is that some people see it as a public service in the same way as they look at the Police or NHS, and even if they may not pay the license, they are likely to consume its contents. It is "free" and indeed by the vary nature of the BBC's purpose, it would not be entirely wrong for them to do this. That is the purpose of a public service.

In reality the BBC has to have money coming in, and the TV license is an old fashioned way of doing it, it has to go. If they say to people pay £12/£13 month to carry on watching, most people are going to pay it. And at the same time when such a system is introduced, the requirements on the BBC could be reduced as they will lose some money. Alternately they will have to allow adverts, but the BBC is always going to be here. Maybe we can pay some extra on top of our broadband like they do in Germany (I think) instead. This could pay for BBC News, and the rest of the BBC is separate and you have to pay if you want to watch Eastenders, while news would be "free". I do wonder how much it costs the BBC per year just to run news, I don't think it would be too much on top of broadband per month.
TR
trevormon London London

Bottom line, if you consume the BBC by whatever means, then morally you should go and buy a licence

I completely agree, Markymark.

Furthermore, if I ever decided to try to avoid paying the TVL, my problem would be that I post captures on here and other websites - so I'd be in rather an indefensible position if 'Mr Capita' came knocking on my door. Cool

Mr Capita hasn't been knocking on doors since March and has even stopped writing to people at addresses without licences since the start of the Covid outbreak.

Even the TV Licensing website is offline at the moment as they update for the introduction of the over-75 licences.

It must be costing the BBC dear as in recent times enforcement had been improving.

Newer posts