The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JF
JF World News
Replied to year old post by mistake
JF
JF World News
AlexS posted:
Also note Geeta's old world shift doesn't exist anymore pre-covid

Not sure what shift you're referring to but she hasn't done the 7-10am shift which is the last regular shift I think she had since (at the latest) that presenter also did Worklife, pre lockdown that was David Eades Monday, Thursday and Friday and Karin G on Tuesday and Wednesday

Her old shift was 8-12 on BBC World which was axed years think 2017/18 ago including 1130 on bbc two
JW
JamesWorldNews
House posted:
Sorry if I’ve missed this discussed somewhere already, but Krishnan Guru-Murthy of Channel 4 News was co-presenting Five Live Breakfast all this week with Rachel Burden, which seemed an odd choice to me. I know Channel 4 News presenters are often allowed to host radio shows (Matt Frei and Cathy Newman each have a weekly show on LBC and Times Radio, respectively), but I found it surprising the BBC would go to an outside broadcaster to cover a week of a radio programme at a time when colleagues across the institution are being told they face redundancy, and presenters are staff will be expected to cross over platforms and channels more frequently. Is there context to this I’m missing, or does it seem rather peculiar to others too?

That’s quite unusual. And, as you say, quite odd given the situation with job losses and cuts at the BBC. To bring in a current presenter from ITN to fill a BBC slot for a week is rather questionable. Not that I’ve got anything against KGM at all. Just feels odd.

A bit like Anna Ford presenting the ITN Evening News one evening the whilst she was actually a presenter of the BBC Six O’clock News at the time. (Ok, granted, it was a special one-off appearance to celebrate ITN’s 50th Anniversary).
GH
Ghost
A bit like Anna Ford presenting the ITN Evening News one evening the whilst she was actually a presenter of the BBC Six O’clock News at the time. (Ok, granted, it was a special one-off appearance to celebrate ITN’s 50th Anniversary).

CORRECTION: the six needs to be changed to a one to make the statement completely accurate.
RN
Rolling News
Robert Cuffe the head of statistics is very good don't you think, always explains stuff calmly and clearly without any hysteria

Agreed. Lauren Moss is another good one.
CM
cmthwtv
Robert Cuffe the head of statistics is very good don't you think, always explains stuff calmly and clearly without any hysteria

Agreed. Lauren Moss is another good one.

She was on at 10 this morning, and she's back for the Ten tonight.

In other news... If you are a fan of Mr McCoy.. this may be for you:

SO
Soupnzi
A reminder of why 5 Live continues to be a complete and utter no-go zone. At that time tomoz, Matt Frei on LBC will be offering the sort of intelligent chat 5 Live used to have.
AS
AlexS
House posted:
Sorry if I’ve missed this discussed somewhere already, but Krishnan Guru-Murthy of Channel 4 News was co-presenting Five Live Breakfast all this week with Rachel Burden, which seemed an odd choice to me. I know Channel 4 News presenters are often allowed to host radio shows (Matt Frei and Cathy Newman each have a weekly show on LBC and Times Radio, respectively), but I found it surprising the BBC would go to an outside broadcaster to cover a week of a radio programme at a time when colleagues across the institution are being told they face redundancy, and presenters are staff will be expected to cross over platforms and channels more frequently. Is there context to this I’m missing, or does it seem rather peculiar to others too?

That’s quite unusual. And, as you say, quite odd given the situation with job losses and cuts at the BBC. To bring in a current presenter from ITN to fill a BBC slot for a week is rather questionable. Not that I’ve got anything against KGM at all. Just feels odd.

I suspect they are having issues with getting BBC personal to agree to present from Salford for a week as whenever Chris Warburton isn't available male 5 live presenters are always covered by freelancers.
CU
Cusack
AlexS posted:
House posted:

I suspect they are having issues with getting BBC personal to agree to present from Salford for a week as whenever Chris Warburton isn't available male 5 live presenters are always covered by freelancers.

They don't need to be in Salford. Shows have been presented by someone in London and someone in Salford in the past.
IS
Inspector Sands
A reminder of why 5 Live continues to be a complete and utter no-go zone. At that time tomoz, Matt Frei on LBC will be offering the sort of intelligent chat 5 Live used to have.

Er, that was Danny Bakers slot for about 10 years. Suppose it depends if you think The Sausage Sandwich Game was 'intelligent chat' or not
BBI45, Joe and bilky asko gave kudos
JT
jolly turnip

Er, that was Danny Bakers slot for about 10 years. Suppose it depends if you think The Sausage Sandwich Game was 'intelligent chat' or not

I would argue that as irreverent as it often was, most of Danny Baker's shows are intelligent chat. Just not the same formulaic political/news based ones we seem to have to have from the three commercial talk stations these days.
HO
House

I'd have to disagree with you there, with respect. Five Live on weekends is a different beast, certainly – it feels a lot lighter and more entertainment-slanted at weekends with people like Scott Mills and Laura Whitmore hosting regular shows, and far more sports content. But the weekday schedule is actually strong – Emma Barnett is one of the strongest voices on radio today journalistically (regularly with some very strong interviews), Nihal Arthanayake's programme frequently explores quite significant social issues which aren't necessarily discussed at length elsewhere, the old Pienaar Politics slot (assuming it returns – it was being hosted by Katya Alder before lockdown) offers one of the better political discussions of the week, and while Breakfast and Drive aren't trying to be Today and PM, they both offer hard news and some good interviews. Using their weekend shows to write off the entire station is akin to dismissing BBC 1 or BBC 2 because the same channels that broadcast Panorama and Newsnight also air Mrs Brown's Boys, The One Show and Mock The Week.

LBC, on the other hand, makes strong additions to its lineup and then regularly undermines itself by hiring a cretin, or someone there only for the name recognition and political capital rather than broadcasting experience. Yes, Matt Frei presents on Saturday mornings, but until recently Nigel Farage held the same slot on a Sunday (on top of the 4 hours he was given on weekdays). Some of the other presenters they've had over the years, like Andrew Castle, Nick Abott, Ian Payne, Beverley Turner or Lucy Beresford wouldn't look out of place in a Five Live weekend lineup at all.

AlexS posted:
House posted:

Freelance or not (and they use a lot of female freelancers too – Helen Skelton, Michelle Ackerley, quite possibly Chloe Tilsley and Clare McDonnell too), they do have a pool of men they turn to including Colin Paterson, Geoff Lloydd, Colin Murray and Johnny I'Anson. And even if a broadcaster was needed in Salford, there's no reason London-based Krishnan Guru-Murthy would be the logical choice over every other male presenter and correspondent in the organisation.

If I was to be a sceptic, I'd point out that aside from Nihal and Dotun Adebayo (on overnights), Five Live's schedule is overwhelmingly white. Well balanced in terms of gender and region, but not racially. Using people like Krishnan and Naga Munchetty (who filled in for Emma Barnett for three days this month) immediately (if temporarily) helps resolve that.
Last edited by House on 1 August 2020 12:22pm

Newer posts