TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Considering what happened last time I'm surprised the BBC would touch it either.
DV
dvboy
Considering what happened last time I'm surprised the BBC would touch it either.

Not sure what you mean
ST
Ste Founding member

That was the Adria tournament which Djokovic arranged which had the issues with Covid-19 infections not UTS.
CO
cobbles
Snooker continuing to be a circus with the current WC telling the fan favourite he should pull out if he has genuine concerns about safety (O'Sullivans been making noises of discontent with fans being allowed in but is still entering.)

Jesus wept....
CO
cobbles
The BBC up to their usual triple crown games with the snooker.

The only tournament host that takes 10-15 minutes past the dedicated match times to get to the matches.

Either move the matches times back, or come on air early. This is just disrespectful to fans.

Fans have been making the case on this for years and they still do it.
SS
SuperSajuuk
Looks like Dennis Taylor still commentating but from the safety of London. That puts to bed any issues with pundits doing commentary, it just remains to be seen if Stephen Hendry is doing punditry or is at the Crucible.

It does appear that, due to a shortage of commentators, that the BBC are asking people from other sports entirely to commentate. Dave Farrar, someone I have never heard of before, is commentating alongside Hendry for the Bingham vs Carty match.
HC
Hatton Cross
Dave Farrar is usually a football commentator for Eurosport.
SS
SuperSajuuk

Interesting. Too early to make any calls about comms teams at this stage, but that fact seems quite interesting to me.
CO
cobbles
Farrar might be explained by the fact Virgo's stuck in Spain and can't get back due to Covid to the studio....

Just turned up to pay tribute to WT - and they've ran a very touching VT on him in the mid-session. Respect to them.
bkman1990 and SuperSajuuk gave kudos
SS
SuperSajuuk
BBC have just aired a tribute to the great WT. They are now interviewing John Virgo, who should've been in the UK and commentating as before, but has been trapped in Spain because of Covid restrictions. I wonder if there'll be a chance for him to get back to the UK for the final, but seems unlikely because of self quarantine requirements.

EDIT: Cobbles got there first, but I would agree with him that Dave Farrar sounds like JV's replacement. Since he's never commentated on Snooker before (afaik? happy to be corrected here), I'm not so sure that's a long running thing or they're waiting for someone else.
SW
Steve Williams

He commentates on football for numerous channels as a freelance, not just Eurosport.
thegeek and SuperSajuuk gave kudos
UK
UKnews
It seems there will be a change of plan....

Newer posts