The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

WL
W1LL Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
You’d expect NC to be covering these new Northern local lockdowns with rolling coverage but no, they’re sticking with Outside Source and some irrelevant world news for UK audiences. I wonder if it would have been different had these new lockdowns covered London. Ridiculous.
AndrewPSSP, Stuart and Meridian AM gave kudos
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
A new lockdown announced tonight for Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire and East Lancashire - though it's not really a lockdown, it's basically banning indoor visits, which are still banned in Wales anyway. Everything else stays open.

Losing the regular briefing though means these announcements are just turning up anywhere, any time. The people of Leicester have been waiting all day for news of their lockdown being eased but the announcement was pushed back multiple times and now too tomorrow. They really need to restore the briefing at least to a fixed day once or twice a week, and certainly schedule one to coincide with any local restrictions. Pointless has switched back to repeats from today anyway, so the schedule has been cleared.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
CM
cmthwtv West Country (East) Points West
1. Lockdown
2. Holidays
3. Self Isolate
4. Highest death rate
5. Trump votes
6. Mars

Headlines on the Ten. Does telling a UK audience, who are not aboard, seem more important than the increase of how long you have to self-isolate? And didn't TUI announce over 1,500 job cuts today? Apparently something going to space that will get there 100 years after my funeral is more important than many of today's stories...
ST
Ste Founding member Granada North West Today
W1LL posted:
You’d expect NC to be covering these new Northern local lockdowns with rolling coverage but no, they’re sticking with Outside Source and some irrelevant world news for UK audiences. I wonder if it would have been different had these new lockdowns covered London. Ridiculous.

Especially as Sky went straight into the raw footage of the interview with Matt Hancock including a brief rewind and then Hancock saying "I'm Matt Hancock, I'm secretary of state for Health and Social Care" for the camera at the star of it.
watchingtv and valley gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews Central World News
I agree with you, Brekkie. Making the announcement so late in the day and also on the eve of Eid at Adha (an important festival for the Muslim community) is quite irresponsible.

If the intent was to curb mixed families movement over this period, the announcement should have been made days ago. Not at the 11th hour.

That said, I think we are to deduce from the latest announcements that the spike in figures has been very recent and the data upon which the decision is based was only available yesterday afternoon.

In which case, we could conclude that the last minute announcement was unavoidable and necessary.

Irrespective, regular briefings (weekly or twice a week, as you say) would perhaps tailor the mindset.
@JamesWorldNews | #StayHomeSaveLives
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
The problem with an advance notice announcement, is you will get a flurry of activity that otherwise wouldn't happen in the days leading up to the new measures.

In Italy in February there was massive movement of people over a weekend to 'beat' the lock down of transport.

I wonder if the Winter Hill Freeview frequency changes in 12 days time will be delayed (They were delayed from June as it was, because you can't have engineers visiting homes to install new aerials etc)
Last edited by Markymark on 31 July 2020 6:53am
SW
Steve Williams
Apparently something going to space that will get there 100 years after my funeral is more important than many of today's stories...

No, it isn't, but putting the And Finally story in the headlines isn't a new thing, it's been going on for years - look at old clips of News at Ten on YouTube and the final headline is always something trivial and whimsical. It illustrates to the audience that the whole programme isn't going to be relentless doom and gloom. The order is not supposed to be taken literally.
BR
1. Lockdown
2. Holidays
3. Self Isolate
4. Highest death rate
5. Trump votes
6. Mars

Headlines on the Ten. Does telling a UK audience, who are not aboard, seem more important than the increase of how long you have to self-isolate? And didn't TUI announce over 1,500 job cuts today? Apparently something going to space that will get there 100 years after my funeral is more important than many of today's stories...

What was most telling yesterday in all media was how the President of the USA trying to delay a Presidential Election was barely considered newsworthy - that is the world we live in today.
BR
The problem with an advance notice announcement, is you will get a flurry of activity that otherwise wouldn't happen in the days leading up to the new measures.

In Italy in February there was massive movement of people over a weekend to 'beat' the lock down of transport.

I wonder if the Winter Hill Freeview frequency changes in 12 days time will be delayed (They were delayed from June as it was, because you can't have engineers visiting homes to install new aerials etc)

True but the timing last night meant anybody staying at another household and having gone to sleep by 9.30 or not getting the news after 9.30 would unknowingly be breaking the law a couple of hours later. Indeed practically anyone in another household who did get the news would probably need to stay put too, especially if relying on public transport.

We seem to be at two extremes with measures either coming in over a week later or within hours. I think the big issue last night was it was hard to communicate why it was happening, especially without the right of reply you'd get if the announcement was made in the briefing or in Parliament. The justification seemed to be that people were not social distancing in households in these areas which immediately leads to the question of well if that is the case in the North West it almost certainly is across the country.
JO
Joe
It's hard to see where the data/evidence is for the assertion that people aren't following the guidance.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Trying to avoid the political aspect the timing of the announcement was far from ideal. Had it been announced at 5pm it could have featured in both the main evening national and regional news bulletins on both BBC and ITV. However that would have probably required the guidance to also be ready and published ideally within the hour. Personally the first I knew of these northern restrictions was when I woke up this morning as I didn't watch the 10pm news, and I suspect that will be the case for many others.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
Joe posted:
It's hard to see where the data/evidence is for the assertion that people aren't following the guidance.

What goes on in people's homes is pretty well unenforceable anyway, so much of this is a moot point, and simply box ticking

Newer posts