The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 16th July onwards

Split from BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
AlexS
It’s been quite a week for the Breakfast Television market, with Naga Munchetty, Lorraine Kelly and Laura Tobin all being dropped or making an exit from their regular programmes.

^^^ The reason for my genuine question a few posts above was because I read that Naga Express article three times to try to convince myself that it was actually a proper newspaper article written by a journalist.

Imagine the same journalist (no offense to her) reporting on an episode of Emmerdale. Would she just fill the page with the entire script of the episode? It’s beyond bizarre. Can’t blame the journalist, but the Editor.

Steering back to BBC Breakfast, who’s on today and who’s been sensationally dropped?

Don't know whose been dropped but Dan Walker needs a new BBQ...
https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1314665/Dan-Walker-Twitter-BBC-Breakfast-sad-news-died-BBQ-replacement-pictures-news-latest-update
LE
lesmauresfr
AlexS posted:
It’s been quite a week for the Breakfast Television market, with Naga Munchetty, Lorraine Kelly and Laura Tobin all being dropped or making an exit from their regular programmes.

^^^ The reason for my genuine question a few posts above was because I read that Naga Express article three times to try to convince myself that it was actually a proper newspaper article written by a journalist.

Imagine the same journalist (no offense to her) reporting on an episode of Emmerdale. Would she just fill the page with the entire script of the episode? It’s beyond bizarre. Can’t blame the journalist, but the Editor.

Steering back to BBC Breakfast, who’s on today and who’s been sensationally dropped?

Don't know whose been dropped but Dan Walker needs a new BBQ...
https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1314665/Dan-Walker-Twitter-BBC-Breakfast-sad-news-died-BBQ-replacement-pictures-news-latest-update

That article from the Express isn’t even news. Really bugs me how that kind of thing gets published.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I ignore the tabloid click bait about Breakfast and GMB. It's there every morning where some poor hack has to make up a 200 word story every day about something insignificant.
Alfie Mulcahy and Ghost gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I'd love it if they turned the tables and opened the show with the news of the shock axing of an Express churnalist because they hadn't written a story in that days paper.
DP
DPE123
I'd love it if they turned the tables and opened the show with the news of the shock axing of an Express churnalist because they hadn't written a story in that days paper.

I must admit to being increasingly fascinated by these daily clickbait "stories" about Breakfast/GMB in recent weeks. One time last week an Express article consisted of quoting the entire opening sequence of Breakfast word for word.

'...and then Dan said "And here's Matt with the weather". Matt replied "Good morning Dan, it's going to be sunny today..." ' and so on for another ten paragraphs.

What's really worrying (although perhaps says a lot) is that forced under pain of death to write 1000 words about Breakfast, out of the whole programme the most interesting thing the poor journalist can find to write about is which presenter happens to have the day off!!
CM
cmthwtv
When they notice the opt for nations...

"BBC Breakfast presenter left SILENCED handing to weather"
SW
Steve Williams
Back in March it was to "protect the 6:30pm bulletin" because back then there were fears every other person was going to be off self isolating, and programmes wouldn't be able to air. Talk about stuff both on the BBC and elsewhere staying on air "as long as we can"

That type of thing never really came to pass, and I imagine they are waiting until September to get past the holiday period

This is very true, actually, it was a genuine concern at the start of the lockdown. When the Beeb announced the Sunday morning services, they said it would be "subject to outside broadcast capacity" and, as you mention, there was a genuine fear that an entire local radio station or regional newsroom might have to close down as everyone got infected. As it turned out, that never happened, and as I mentioned on another thread the other day, back in March you probably wouldn't have expected there to have been so many new programmes made and broadcast during this period.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes there were some predictions of 70% of staff off sick/isolating but in the end it was nowhere near that number.
MA
Markymark
Yes there were some predictions of 70% of staff off sick/isolating but in the end it was nowhere near that number.

.......yet
Last edited by Markymark on 28 July 2020 3:58pm
IT
itsrobert Founding member

.......yet

That was exactly my thought - we haven't even done a winter with this virus yet.
TI
TIGHazard
Breakfast turning into This Morning, this morning.

WH
what
Just wanted to share a funny anecdote from this morning’s show:
Last edited by what on 1 August 2020 6:46am

Newer posts