TV Home Forum

Sky Arts goes FTA

Available on Freeview channel 11 from Sept. 17th (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KU
Kunst
Whilst Challenge is likely to be the casualty in the Freeview launch, the other option would be Blaze, which Sky owns in a joint venture. Their ratings are worse than Challenge.

A&E Is the main decision maker in the joint venture
VA
valley
Jonwo posted:
I would guess Sky Arts will be like Sky News in its early days, a loss leader for a few years before becoming profitable.

Is Sky News profitable now?

No but it is not supposed to be. It is more profitable than it used to be, though.
JO
Jon
Jonwo posted:
I would guess Sky Arts will be like Sky News in its early days, a loss leader for a few years before becoming profitable.

Is Sky News profitable now?

No but it is not supposed to be. It is more profitable than it used to be, though.

It helps that Tesco are gifting them studio space.
Rexogamer, London Lite and BBI45 gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
Jonwo posted:

Sky News has always been a loss leader. Criticise Murdoch all you like but he fought to keep Sky News on air in its early days when everyone told him to close the channel, he persisted and it remains an extremely valuable asset to Sky and now Comcast. Comcast appear see the same value with Sky Arts, more so in this supposed upcoming review for public service broadcasting review. As much as I have enjoyed Challenge over the years, Sky Arts is a better use of bandwidth than Challenge. (Assuming Challenge gets the bullet from Freeview.)

You don’t have to be Art fan to like Sky Arts, it makes and shows some excellent documentaries about musicians and comedians. That and usually an old Queen concert gets shown about once a week.
LL
London Lite Founding member
You don’t have to be Art fan to like Sky Arts, it makes and shows some excellent documentaries about musicians and comedians. That and usually an old Queen concert gets shown about once a week.

Agreed, Sky Arts has been more accessible since Sky replaced Artsworld with it. The classic pop concerts will go down well with the BBC Four audience who already enjoy classic TOTP for example.
Jeffmister, Rexogamer and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Just wish we were past the point of SD channels launching on Freeview. This is exactly the sort of thing that should be in HD (although Sky would have reasons for it not to be FTA), and I kind of wish we'd do what the French did and basically shut down Freeview then reopen it as an HD only platform with channels having to claim the slots again.
MO
Mockah
Just wish we were past the point of SD channels launching on Freeview. This is exactly the sort of thing that should be in HD (although Sky would have reasons for it not to be FTA), and I kind of wish we'd do what the French did and basically shut down Freeview then reopen it as an HD only platform with channels having to claim the slots again.

Ooh! That would be cool!
PF
PFML84
That and usually an old Queen concert gets shown about once a week.

I remember back when we had Sky flicking between the Queen concert on Sky Arts HD and Sky Arts SD to show my father (a big Queen fan) how much better HD channels were in terms of quality as he always watched the SD version of channels because he found them first and didn't know (or more likely didn't care) that there was a HD version (this was back before Sky did the HD swap). The difference was night and day, the SD picture was atrocious, so if Sky Arts is going to go FTA, my only hope is for full SD resolution and a decent bit rate because some things are gonna look god awful if they just make it FTA as is.
ST
steveboswell
Isn't it still the case that Sky are still restricted to three slots on COM5? It of course didn't stop them from acquiring capacity on other muxes.

Bit of an odd one, this, and I'm happy to be corrected on it, but:

The licence states that the multiplex "shall implement" the carriage of three Sky channels, and that at least "one quarter" of the available capacity is used for services not connected with Sky.

So the limit was never strictly three slots, just up to 75% of the bandwidth. This is how Sky proposed to switch to MPEG4 and broadcast more channels in the same amount of space when they were thinking of launching "Picnic" (which eventually morphed into what is now Now TV) while remaining within their licence terms.

Of course, when a multiplex could only carry four channels, the situation was much more straightforward!
LL
London Lite Founding member

Of course, when a multiplex could only carry four channels, the situation was much more straightforward!

With the advent of "progress" on the mux, where they can squeeze in more channels, the three Sky channels when Freeview launched had the best SD quality possible, compared to now where Sky News is a blurry mess.
WH
what
Sky News is a blurry mess.

It’s bad on Sky too. I’m even more annoyed about it because they stream it in HD for free on YouTube, but if you want it in HD on Sky, you have to pay extra.
ZE
zeebre12
Why do Sky stream Sky News on YouTube when they can't show ad breaks? Surely they are losing ad revenue from those who stream on YouTube instead of watching it on TV?

Newer posts