TV Home Forum

Sky Arts goes FTA

Available on Freeview channel 11 from Sept. 17th (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PL
Plektrum
I think the recent launch of the combined NBC/Sky combined advertising platform suggests Comcast are really looking at opportunities in ad revenue especially via free services so having a channel that attracts a potentially upscale and monied audience (as well as all those people who are too snobby for Sky and love repeating that on Guardian forums) available for free is quite attractive when selling ad inventory too!

I’ve mentioned it a couple of times but it’s looking less likely Peacock will launch here but I still wonder if Sky and Comcast might be looking at evolving their investment in free video and programming, especially in the AVOD space.
DV
DVB Cornwall
If an HD version doesn't survive on NOW TV this'll be grim. Watching a concert or arts performance in substandard SD will be wholly offputting.
JO
Jonwo
I think the recent launch of the combined NBC/Sky combined advertising platform suggests Comcast are really looking at opportunities in ad revenue especially via free services so having a channel that attracts a potentially upscale and monied audience (as well as all those people who are too snobby for Sky and love repeating that on Guardian forums) available for free is quite attractive when selling ad inventory too!

I’ve mentioned it a couple of times but it’s looking less likely Peacock will launch here but I still wonder if Sky and Comcast might be looking at evolving their investment in free video and programming, especially in the AVOD space.

Also it's a good opportunity for Sky to show that they're dedicated to the arts in a period where the arts are a bit fraught. Challenge in comparison doesn't fit that remit.
BR
Brekkie
I don't quite understand this move to be honest considering Sky Arts is pretty much a premium channel and has a fairly narrow brief, so isn't say acting as a promotional vehicle for their new factual channels. I don't know much about how they treat live performances on the channel but I'd assume ads are limited to the intervals, so just as being in SD doesn't seem right for a channel like this neither does potentially having ads interupt key live programming.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is in HD on Freesat though considering they offered Pick.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I do remember reading on another forum recently that there was space for another 24 hour stream on one of the MUX's, so perhaps this is where Sky Arts will fit in, meaning Pick and Challenge won't have to close at all?

If memory serves me correctly, COM5 has previously squeezed in 16 channels but is currently only carrying 15 (COM5 being the multiplex that Sky News, Challenge and Pick / Sky Pick / Sky Sports Pick are broadcast on).

COM6 definately has capacity as it is only carrying 14 channels at present.

So there is technical capacity for additional services, it just depends on whether Sky are willing to pay for it or if they think the business case is stronger for replacing an existing channel.

Isn't it still the case that Sky are still restricted to three slots on COM5? It of course didn't stop them from acquiring capacity on other muxes.
PL
Plektrum
Jonwo posted:

Also it's a good opportunity for Sky to show that they're dedicated to the arts in a period where the arts are a bit fraught. Challenge in comparison doesn't fit that remit.

Yep and unlike the BBC, being a ‘commercial channel’ so to speak might encourage more sponsorship opportunities for certain content that the BBC may not have been able to carry. This might turn into quite a canny move if they do it right.
Jeffmister and Jonwo gave kudos
PL
Plektrum
I don't quite understand this move to be honest considering Sky Arts is pretty much a premium channel and has a fairly narrow brief, so isn't say acting as a promotional vehicle for their new factual channels. I don't know much about how they treat live performances on the channel but I'd assume ads are limited to the intervals, so just as being in SD doesn't seem right for a channel like this neither does potentially having ads interupt key live programming.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is in HD on Freesat though considering they offered Pick.

Well there is going to be an event on 3rd October when they broadcast the live theatrical component of The Third Day so how that goes will likely be indicative of how they handle other actual live events.
LL
London Lite Founding member
It's similar to the decision by Wireless to put the ABC1 Times Radio on DAB, while the C2DE talkRADIO was demoted to DAB+, while keeping both stations on the platform.

However if it is Challenge going from COM5, replacing it with Sky Arts which has a much broader remit than Challenge is the right decision.
GO
gottago

Have a look at the ratings on BARB, they're pretty low and there's been rumblings of the channel closing in the past. I expect they've figured out that it's unlikely that there are many customers who subscribe just for Sky Arts and they could make more money from adverts to a wider audience than the current set up.

I think free to air will become more important to Sky as audiences for their linear pay channels decline in favour of on demand. Advertising is a big source of income and as they lose it from their pay channels they need to think of new opportunities elsewhere like Freeview. They've got a more established free to air presence in Italy (though not they're not Sky branded).
JO
Jonwo
I would guess Sky Arts will be like Sky News in its early days, a loss leader for a few years before becoming profitable.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Jonwo posted:
I would guess Sky Arts will be like Sky News in its early days, a loss leader for a few years before becoming profitable.

Is Sky News profitable now?
AD
adamiow
Whilst Challenge is likely to be the casualty in the Freeview launch, the other option would be Blaze, which Sky owns in a joint venture. Their ratings are worse than Challenge.

Newer posts