The Gallery

Merit

Former designs for a future channel. Now retired. (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JL
J. Lyric
It'll be interesting to see what it looks like when it goes live
Mockah and BiggieSMLZ gave kudos
MO
Mockah

Exactly!
Last edited by Mockah on 29 July 2020 10:13am
BS
BiggieSMLZ

Exactly!

Yeah, question is: Will it contain the ITV brand? And will it be available on the ITV Hub to stream live?
MO
Mockah

Exactly!

Yeah, question is: Will it contain the ITV brand? And will it be available on the ITV Hub to stream live?

Here are some answers: No to both. ITV seem to be neglecting the channel.
BS
BiggieSMLZ
Gee, that’s harsh. Kinda reminds me of what Sky (as of writing) appears to be doing with Pick and Challenge.
JF
JetixFann450
Gee, that’s harsh. Kinda reminds me of what Sky (as of writing) appears to be doing with Pick and Challenge.

Except that Sky have Pick and Challenge both on Sky Go.
Mockah and BiggieSMLZ gave kudos
MO
Mockah

But unlike Merit, they aren't neglected by Sky.
JetixFann450 and BiggieSMLZ gave kudos
RE
Rexogamer
I doubt this will be on the Hub since it's pretty much a temp channel but I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least a little ITV branding
MO
Mockah
I doubt this will be on the Hub since it's pretty much a temp channel but I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least a little ITV branding

True.
CN
ClarkNarvas
Don't change the font - that is what makes it work.

Okay, thank you.

Late reply, I only just saw this 😂 but I'd actually like to disagree with that.

Branding is a core part of forming the personality of the channel to viewers. You wouldn't want BBC Four looking like a childrens TV channel, or a CBBC looking like the BBC News Channel. Just because it might look a little good doesn't mean it's overall suitable.

The logo doesn't look good in certain idents. It might look good in Gallery but it doesn't look good in the dark alleyway. It looks totally out of place and too positive.

Again, if this was actually on TV, I don't think viewers would look at it and get that BBC Four vibe or will take it seriously. I don't have many font suggestions but I'd say you should take a nosy around actual TV channels, similar to BBC Four's category, and see what they'd done. I wouldn't totally rule out handwritey fonts, some may be very suitable, but I think a slightly more serious sans-serif font would be better, or you could take inspiration from ITV Encore.

Other than the font, you need to work on other brand assets and think about how everything would be animated and formed up.

2/5
MO
Mockah
THE LOGO HAS BEEN REVEALED!

Image from Jamie Murphy on Twitter.
Last edited by Mockah on 29 July 2020 4:34pm
JL
J. Lyric
oooh, much cursive

Newer posts