TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kez19
Not really presentation related and I know it’s been mentioned in the past but the number of out of place programmes appearing across UKTV at the moment seems to be peaking.

I wonder if they are struggling to fill all of these channels or are they just trying to push these on to Freeview?

I’m finding myself watching Keeping Up Appearances on Drama and there’s comedy cropping up on Yesterday. None of this really fits...

Abandoned Engineering is appearing on Dave as well as Yesterday I noticed (not complaining as I like the programme anyway)
KE
kez19
All of television is a lie, said somebody somewhere. Interceptor was far more scripted and planned than it might otherwise appear.

With regards to the car chase, it'll be almost without a doubt all planned out and probably done in chunks on different days and stuck together in the editing suite, and almost certainly involved closed roads and the (real) police notified about what's going on to do it all safely.

Magic of television (and film). For example the hearse chase in the first Johnny English film is presented as one area on camera but that geography doesn't exist in reality, the chase was actually filmed in two or three different areas of London.

Thanks for that 👍🏻
IN
Interceptor
All of television is a lie, said somebody somewhere. Interceptor was far more scripted and planned than it might otherwise appear.

With regards to the car chase, it'll be almost without a doubt all planned out and probably done in chunks on different days and stuck together in the editing suite, and almost certainly involved closed roads and the (real) police notified about what's going on to do it all safely.

Perhaps it was sorted shortly after the River Police arrest?
GH
Ghost
Gold’s got two special break bumpers for their “Summer Weeknights”:

18 days later

RO
rob Founding member
The latest episode of The Bill Podcast has been released today, it's a tribute to Tony Scannell, with contributions from former cast members. It's a cracking listen.

https://soundcloud.com/thebillpodcast/tonyscannell-tribute

48 days later

JA
james-2001
Looks like things have continued and they've added another 99 episodes of The Bill today, taking us around half way through 1994/series 10. Obviously been expanded seeing as they were only going to go to the end of 1993 originally. Hopefully they'll run through to the end of the half-hours now.
Last edited by james-2001 on 1 October 2020 9:23am
VM
VMPhil
Glad this thread was bumped, why is all of UKTV’s surrounding pres still in SD? Presumably trails are being made in HD now, but they still go out as upscaled SD. Just makes text a bit blurry.
JA
james-2001
Glad this thread was bumped, why is all of UKTV’s surrounding pres still in SD? Presumably trails are being made in HD now, but they still go out as upscaled SD. Just makes text a bit blurry.

Was the same situation on ITV for years. And the BBC News Channel (but not BBC1 or 2 IIRC)

21 days later

JA
james-2001
I've just got into 1993 with The Bill and I noticed right up until the end of 1992 the episodes have the original endcaps, then as soon as we're into 1993, every episode has the 1997 Thames/Pearson endcap instead. Presumably they don't want us to see the mentions of Yorkshire Television and Carlton that were on the original endcaps.

Last time the 1993-98 episodes went out on UK Gold back in 2001/2, they had the original endcap but blanked out the mentions of YTV and Carlton and put "A Pearson Television Company" in its place.

Also on the third episode from 1993, you can still hear the audio from the 1991-92 title sequence under it, so this episode was probably originally made with those titles, then had the new titles overlayed, but they didn't change the audio.
BR
Brekkie
Isn't it simply the case that once Thames lost their franchise they probably had two versions - one for the ITV broadcast and then one for international and any subsequent sale.
JA
james-2001
Isn't it simply the case that once Thames lost their franchise they probably had two versions - one for the ITV broadcast and then one for international and any subsequent sale.

Even if they did, it wouldn't have had the 1997 endcap on it seeing as that didn't even exist until 4 years later. I don't think Pearson owned Thames as early as 1993 either if you're referring to the one that appeared on the UK Gold repeats, so both of these are clearly later additions.
IS
Inspector Sands

Even if they did, it wouldn't have had the 1997 endcap on it seeing as that didn't even exist until 4 years later. I don't think Pearson owned Thames as early as 1993 either if you're referring to the one that appeared on the UK Gold repeats, so both of these are clearly later additions.

They bought Thames in the middle of 1993, although I don't think 'Pearson Television' as a name and an entity came about until they'd bought a few more TV companies

Newer posts